Ares Games
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revised Deluxe Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Wodin View Post
    Also are the Skytrex planes painted?
    No. They are white metal kits that you build and paint yourself. If you have no experience with this, start with a simple one and work up. There are plenty of people on the drome who will talk you through it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It's a shame the Wings of War planes are made with no pilot in them....for immersive reasons....

Thanks Kyte...I like the look of the planes...even over the WoW ones for some reason...the heath robinson looks seems appropriate...also they have pilots..

This is a personal thing but I suppose it depends which way you want to collect, with the deluxe you will have enough cards and markers to play a lot of games, you can buy more official minis which all come with their own manouvre decks and a plane card. If you want more different makes & manouvre decks then box sets and addons, look in resources there is a link to a sheet which shows the contents, if not PM me I got a list.
    If you want to make squadrons then cheapest way would be say one official ( for colour schemes) rest alternate makes, but note most other kit form come unpainted, ie skytrex.
    If you want a plane for each card then youll need the card sets as a template.

[QUOTE=Wodin;37852]It's a shame the Wings of War planes are made with no pilot in themQUOTE]
    Have you seen the WoW series two onward. They have blobs perporting to be pilots. I much prefer series one with empty cockpits. You can get aircrew from Peter Pig and add your own pilots and air gunners.
    Rob.

Received the RDS yesterday and agree that the paint jobs are great; however, the quality control (or packaging) is not as good. The set I received had rudder and elevators for Brown floating around in the box, and Baumer's plane had a simialr situation plus a broken prop! That having been said, the repairs are done and the planes are ready to fly. This also would be a great set for any beginner, as all the basic rules and scenarios are there, along with four great planes to get familiar with the game.

Talked to Cool Stuff today and they are shipping the WWI special set preorders this week.

Thumbs up Great Customer Service!

My local game store called me at 9:00am today to say that my Deluxe Ed. WoW was not in...but is expected next week. I pre-ordered it back in June or July. I thought it was pretty fantastic to hear an update from them without prodding from me

Quote Originally Posted by skystalker View Post
    Received the RDS yesterday and agree that the paint jobs are great; however, the quality control (or packaging) is not as good. The set I received had rudder and elevators for Brown floating around in the box, and Baumer's plane had a simialr situation plus a broken prop! That having been said, the repairs are done and the planes are ready to fly. This also would be a great set for any beginner, as all the basic rules and scenarios are there, along with four great planes to get familiar with the game.

Doesn't sound to good....

[QUOTE=Flying Officer Kyte;37855]
    It's a shame the Wings of War planes are made with no pilot in themQUOTE]
    Have you seen the WoW series two onward. They have blobs perporting to be pilots. I much prefer series one with empty cockpits. You can get aircrew from Peter Pig and add your own pilots and air gunners.
    Rob.
    Oh....thats a shame especially if you could buy the pilots somewhere else...I will check out Peter Pig....

Just looked and I can't find any pilots on the Peter Pig website.
    Last edited by Wodin; 12-01-2010 at 14:14.

[QUOTE=Wodin;37889]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post

Oh....thats a shame especially if you could buy the pilots somewhere else...I will check out Peter Pig....

Just looked and I can't find any pilots on the Peter Pig website.
    Look at N0 6 Heads and Odds.
    Rob.

Thanks mate...found them....I always though the WoW minis were the same size as the Corgi 1\48 aircraft just made from plastic instead of metal!!

Whats the difference between the Battle Quest and the FFG mini's?

Just noticed the Airco and EIII are the next mini's to be released...I shall be buying them ASAP.

Now wait for the Vickers Gunbus....

Just got notice from Cool Stuff Inc that they have shipped my Revised Deluxe Edition. If you preordered one check your email as you may have a notice as well. If you've been holding off, you can order now that it is shipping.

WooHoo...game arrived today...all in great condition...but does have German rules...19 page rulebook looks great if I could read it....seems to have more in it than the one you can download though. Love the planes...first time I've seen WoW mini's...Funny thing is there is a flyer in the box in english....anyway for Ł37.99 can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by pkay View Post
    Just got notice from Cool Stuff Inc that they have shipped my Revised Deluxe Edition. If you preordered one check your email as you may have a notice as well. If you've been holding off, you can order now that it is shipping.

Just ordered mine from Coolstuff yesterday. They have about 15 in stock.

Glad to hear that it came up to expectation. It would have been a shame to put you off what is a great game.
    Rob.

WooHoo...game arrived today...all in great condition...but does have German rules...19 page rulebook looks great if I could read it....seems to have more in it than the one you can download though. Love the planes...first time I've seen WoW mini's...Funny thing is there is a flyer in the box in english....anyway for Ł37.99 can't complain.
    I'm betting you downloaded the basic rules (the rules from Famous Aces). You can get the English version of the Deluxe Set rules here:http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=215

Are the old deluxe rules exactly the same as the new ones? I thought more had been added...

The german rules have 19 pages...the ones you mentioned only have 11....

Now I have the deluxe edition is there anything I DONT need to buy as it comes in the deluxe? Also What would you say to buy next....I'm ordering the Immelmann pack as I love the Airco and EIII...wouldn't mind the SE5a and the Alb D111 and a couple of Bombers the allied one being the RE8...so with that in mind what do I need to buy?

By the way Kyte...no little pilot blobs in the planes in the Deluxe version.

Are the old deluxe rules exactly the same as the new ones? I thought more had been added...

The german rules have 19 pages...the ones you mentioned only have 11....
    The rulebook in the new RDS is different from what is online as referenced in this thread in the following ways: 1) the altitude table includes all planes now marketed (but the brochure in the box has one with larger print that you can actually read!); 2) 4 basic and 3 advanced scenarios are appended, but I believe that all 7 have appeared in other rulebooks of previous sets so nothing new there.

Quote Originally Posted by skystalker View Post
    The rulebook in the new RDS is different from what is online as referenced in this thread in the following ways: 1) the altitude table includes all planes now marketed (but the brochure in the box has one with larger print that you can actually read!); 2) 4 basic and 3 advanced scenarios are appended, but I believe that all 7 have appeared in other rulebooks of previous sets so nothing new there.
    Also the cover of the new rulebook has the painting of von Richthofen blasting away at Roy Brown???

The scenarios in RDS are the ones from the original deluxe set, which can be downloaded from this site here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=214

I already mentioned this in post #192 of this thread, but that was a long time ago.
    Last edited by tuladin; 12-03-2010 at 12:13.

By the way Kyte...no little pilot blobs in the planes in the Deluxe version.
    Yes. I expected that as the first series did not have any pilots. It was only the later series that did. Dogfight booster has a lot of SE5 cards in it.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 12-03-2010 at 11:36.

Don't know if they're exactly the same, haven't seen them, but they do add other stuff not in the basic rulebook (altitude rules for a start). Do the new ones come with scenarios ?, that's the only change I can think of that might add so many extra pages. Either that or the German language uses lots of really long words

You don't really need anything else to play dogfight-type games, but you'd need other sets to play other types of scenario. You can download the Flight of the Giants rulebook from FFG to get the full bombing rules, but to play balloon-busting missions you'd need to get either the Burning Drachens or Balloon Busters set. Both do much the same thing. Balloon Busters comes with a balloon mini and a rocket-armed Nieuport, but doesn't have all the rules included in Burning Drachens (but equally doesn't require them).

Any official WoW models come with everything you need to add them to your games.

Well, mine came in today...I pick them up tomorrow

Mine also arrived today , the Rules as Wotan mentioned are in German, but not a problem. The Flyer he mentioned in English shows all 4 series models and has the updated Altitude chart on the back.
    The models are lovely, however in my case the new DR1 was in two pieces,nothing broken but bottom of plane was unstuck from fuselage & upper two sets of wings. Have glued and now away till xmas, my lads are very thoughtful getting Dad something nice for Xmas eh, I will of course be very surprised on 25 Dec ( evil snicker, honest Guv )
    Last edited by Boney10; 12-03-2010 at 13:47. Reason: Incorrect spelling

My minis are fine but it seems a few are finding theirs broken

Yes. I expected that as the first series did not have any pilots. It was only the later series that did. Dogfight booster has a lot of SE5 cards in it.
    Rob.
    Do mini's come with cards? If so I might aswell buy the minis...but I want the immelmann pack as I love the DH2 and EIII...or am I best just waiting for the minis to be made next series?

Also which box set would you buy next?

@IRM thanks for the advice...yes it appears that scenarios are in the rulebook so it must be them...

For the sake of any English speakers who got rules in a different language, here's a comparison between the new Revised Deluxe Set rules and the Original Deluxe Set rules that you can download from this site as mentioned in earlier posts.

Cover - different art

Page 2 - RDS an ad for the WoW line / ODS blank
    Page 3 - RDS illustration of game components / ODS blank
    Pages 4-10 - identical
    Pages 11-13 - identical except RDS has up-to-date altitude chart
    Pages 14-15 - RDS Scenario Rules the same as pages 5-7 of the Compiled Scenarios I linked to above.
    Pages 16-19 - RDS Scenarios the same as pages 11-18 of the compiled scenarios.

The scenarios are not the same word-for-word, for example the compiled scenarios' Attack Behind the Lines is Attack Behind the Trenches in RDS, but they are almost identical. It's just two different translations - the meaning stays the same.

Hope that helps.

@tuladin....thank you for the info...

YES! The FLGS came through. And gave me a discount since it was such a big order. Now I just need to make the work area, and get some air time in.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

My set from CoolStuff should arrive this week. And now I have Rise of Flight too, so I really have something to do during Christmas holiday. ^^

Mine was delivered late Friday Afternoon! The re-paints are exceptional. They really do look good!. The double Damage decks are also greatly welcomed.

Got mine yesterday. Love the planes. Great stuff.

Same here, yesterday was a good day. They are so nice.

Torpedo

Picked mine up from my FLGS on Wednesday December 8th. Now I hand it over to be wrapped and wait to feign surprise on Christmas morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    Same here, yesterday was a good day. They are so nice.
    OK now that's just ridiclous! I preorderd mine shortly after CollStuff posted them. To think that CoolStuff was able to ship to Finland (that is where Jager said he order his form earlier in this thread) before they could get one to shipped to Canada (Toronto is the size of Chicago) is baffling! [shakes head with befuddled facial expression] Ah well, maybe air Finland will deliver mine! lol [cheers up as doorbell rings, ... - not really but one can always hope]

Now I have just have to wait until the out of stock planes are re-issued.

Umm...why is it that folks in the UK can't get rules in English? Seems just very strange to me

Picked mine up from the post office and have managed to smuggle it past my accounts manager. Great looking set well worth the money.

Do mini's come with cards? If so I might aswell buy the minis...but I want the immelmann pack as I love the DH2 and EIII...or am I best just waiting for the minis to be made next series?

Also which box set would you buy next?

@IRM thanks for the advice...yes it appears that scenarios are in the rulebook so it must be them...
    Jason, yes all mini come with the relavent aero[plane card , base, flight pegs & the correct manouvre deck.
    My advice would be to get Fameous Aces box set, this gives you the best base set, save up for Watch your back as this has a B Damage deck.
    The Immelmann pack will give you the early planes you are after as well as the man decks, see the files one lists all the contents, if not pm me I got a list

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Umm...why is it that folks in the UK can't get rules in English? Seems just very strange to me
    We only think Germany lost the Wars! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Jason, yes all mini come with the relavent aero[plane card , base, flight pegs & the correct manouvre deck.
    My advice would be to get Fameous Aces box set, this gives you the best base set, save up for Watch your back as this has a B Damage deck.
    The Immelmann pack will give you the early planes you are after as well as the man decks, see the files one lists all the contents, if not pm me I got a list
    I would suggest Flight of Giants instead of WYB if you are after the B deck. If you are only playing with minis, everything else in WYB is pretty much wasted.

Sound one Col, forgot about FotG

Have my set on hold to get Sunday right before my demo kicks off. Can't wait!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Got mine last night. Minis look fantastic

Oh dash it all chaps. This is bally well not fair!! They all have these "over there" but what about the chaps over here?

Default NEW DELUXE EDITION UPDATE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Oh dash it all chaps. This is bally well not fair!! They all have these "over there" but what about the chaps over here?
    See The British player group forum for Stop Press on this Mike.
    To any British pilots out there who have not joined this esteemed group DO IT NOW, or miss out.
    Rob.

See The British player group forum for Stop Press on this Mike.
    To any British pilots out there who have not joined this esteemed group DO IT NOW, or miss out.
    Rob.
    I must be more than normally dense today. I can't find this. can you give a poor pilot some good visual references to find the target?

I must be more than normally dense today. I can't find this. can you give a poor pilot some good visual references to find the target?
    Mike you go to the locate players top right then look for the British section and click join.
    I think.
    Don

Top post Mike. Amazon U.K. and WoW.
    Rob.

Amazon U.K. are forecasting the middle of February for the de-luxe boxset. Why does Britain always seem to be last to receive anything new?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WW1 deluxe set
    By ff151 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 04:55
  2. WWII Deluxe Rules
    By John B in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 01:18
  3. Deluxe Edition Reprint Possible
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions