Ares Games
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bomber miniatures

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I'm right there with you guys. But sense overtime has shot threw the roof. She has lightened up on my purchases. Still have to buy in small shots, plane here balloon there etc.
    And the game goes on. Got to love them.

Tom
    Its so universal...

"whats in the bag??"
    "how many do you spend this month in those toys??"
    "this one is new, Ive never seen here before..."

I'm trying the "we should all play and I'll store the planes" approach, but I don't think she's going to buy that the 1 year old needs his own blimp.

You guys have got to learn the art of sneaking them into the house.

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Any idea of what they'll look like yet?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    You guys have got to learn the art of sneaking them into the house.
    I prefer the "That? Oh I've had that for ages" route works a charm

and if that fails I scream hysterically till she gets out of the man cave

Smile WWI: Bomber miniatures

Ooooh the bombers are a must for me.
    I already have Skytrex Gotha and Handley Page, verrry nice I think.
    As for wives I stand up to mine and smuggle the new minis in the house after a UK show, then its a case of " Ive had these for ages !! Luckily she not caught on yet how my cases are filing up.
    He He
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    As for wives I stand up to mine and smuggle the new minis in the house after a UK show, then its a case of " Ive had these for ages !! Luckily she not caught on yet how my cases are filing up.
    He He
    Chris
    Just get your friends to send them to you through the post one piece at a time.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

if the bombers arrive before next spring, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

I agree with you Jared!

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    He He
    Chris
    Chris, we seem to have the same approach to this aspect of gaming. I also find that a C-Max has two very handy hidden storeage areas by the back foot rests that the wife hasn't found yet.
    Cheers, Aled

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    That's why I like to buy direct rather than mail order - easier to put in a backpack and sneak through Checkpoint Charlie, than face the inquisition after the postie roll up with a big parcel while I am out
    Same here, it was a nightmare before a LGS decided to open in Cardiff last October. I'd order stuff on-line and it always got delivered on a day I had left home early.

Now I work on a principle no boxes or other evidence to give the game away. So, when I now have to order some new toys due to local supply issues it's so rare it doesn't seem to draw attention

I going to have a look at Shaun's bombers and decide if I'll go for the ones out now or wait for the WoW ones.

Pope, A Post Office Box is a must, or have them shipped to work if possible! Fortunately, one of the pilots in our squadron, he's a delivery driver, and he drives all over central Florida, so we tell him what we are looking for, and he finds it. This is a Win, Win, Win.

Win: I get what I want, delivered to me free - well maybe not free, a bottle of beer and a slice of pizza, plus, I don't have to sneak it in the house!

Win: For him, an excuse to paruse the gameshops.

Win: For the shopkeepers, keeps the green in the local shopkeeps and they can stay in business.

Jim, I like the idea of a Post Office Box that could save me a lot and hassle when I start buying models that the LGS can not get into stock. I owe you a beer in the mess.
    Cheers Aled
    Last edited by Pope; 10-11-2010 at 13:04.

Is there some kind of "board" or "page" on this site that has dates of upcoming releases? Even if based on rumors? Maybe with something like a percentage of accuracy to tell how firm they are?

If I understand correctly, the following things are due out... soonish

• Revised Wings Of War Miniatures box set
    • Re-release of Series 1 WoW models
    • Bomber miniatures

On the right side of the home page toward the center, there is section for future releases. Right now one guess is as good as another regarding release dates. If I had to take a guess, based on past releases, I'd say the new WWI deluxe set in the spring, the bombers in the summer, and series 5 in the fall or winter. I hope I'm wrong and they come out a lot sooner. But on the other hand it could be later...a lot later.

Updated photos in first post.

As usual therewill be a very big timespan between the announcement and the landing in the shops...
    Today I got my "Flight of the Giants " box which I had pre-ordered 15 MARCH !!! ( Yes 8 months! ). After a very angry letter with my store(German shop where I buy all my Wow stuff so far to my great satisfaction ) They explained to me that there were "difficulties" to get them from their supplier... they were very annoyed by the whole thing.
    It seems that people that make this WoW stuff need to learn a lot about how to trade properly...

So I wouldn't get my hopes up yet
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 11-24-2010 at 03:55. Reason: grammar

Is there an estimated price on these bombers?

Craftorian

Those look fantastic! It will probably get me moving on learning the Flight of Giants rules finally.

I like the pics. Will be buying one of each.

Great looking models, look forward to seeing them out for sale.

I like the looks of both models at the moment the inclanation is to buy 2 x Goaths, but I will probably end up buying the Caparoni just to add to my collection as it looks good!

For my wife it is boots not shoes... I wouldn't mind but there isn't a single pair of FMB's amongst them.

I get all of my orders delivered to my work address. Then, as I go direct to the gaming club on games nights I just take my purchases there, unpack them and put them straight into my carry case. The Long Haired General never knows that new kit has arrived, although her in built BS detector lets her know that something is not quite on the straight and level.

Normally I don't make big purchases to keep them under the radar as much as possible. However, when I visited a recent show and saw all 12 of the Series IV aircraft, both gaming mats and the 'Flight of the Giants' box I just had to them all NOW. LOL. Definitely didn't get away with that.

Adie

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

I hope that there isn't any significance to the difference in the releases being bomber miniatures series 1 for DoW and just bomber miniatures for WoW. Would like to see further 'official' bomber miniatures added to the selection at some point.

Users Country Flag

Name
    José Paulo
    Sorties Flown

Great!
    I must have them....

Those do look great. I'd probably add (at least) two Gotha's to my collection.

2 of each ... and sneak them into the house of course

A lot of you guys seem to be afraid of the "long-haired general"
    Guess I'm lucky : my general doesn't mind me buying stuff as long as I don't overdo it.
    So far I managed not to cross that line...
    If you invest in a nice bunch of her favourite flowers once and a while ( preferably without apparent reason ) that tends to help as well

Default good stuff

good new's can't wate to get them!!!!!

Somehow I can't see them releasing the Staaken as it's wingspan is bigger than a box set.

My ground controller is still happy with my purchasing. She even buys them for me and takes great interest in how I progress with the kit building & painting and re-painting of WoW stock models. She didn't even bat an eyelid when I brought my 3 new Gothas home along with the 2 AEGs and Brisfits.

I'm currently re-painting the Pfalzs that she bought me for my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    A lot of you guys seem to be afraid of the "long-haired general"
    Guess I'm lucky : my general doesn't mind me buying stuff as long as I don't overdo it.
    So far I managed not to cross that line...
    If you invest in a nice bunch of her favourite flowers once and a while ( preferably without apparent reason ) that tends to help as well
    Actually, it's the "Lt Colonel, she who must be obeyed"

This is the nice thing about the Evil Queen of Numbers being both a wingnut and having a plasticrack addiction of her own: the combination of her "oh look, cute little planes" and my "you get yours, why can't I get mine?" make a nice bit of leverage.

Be nice to your adult children, especially the ones who give up their time to keep your houses in order... we're the ones who'll choose your retirement homes and terminal-care arrangements. lol
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This is the nice thing about the Evil Queen of Numbers being both a wingnut and having a plasticrack addiction of her own: the combination of her "oh look, cute little planes" and my "you get yours, why can't I get mine?" make a nice bit of leverage.

Be nice to your adult children, especially the ones who give up their time to keep your houses in order... we're the ones who'll choose your retirement homes and terminal-care arrangements. lol
    Diamondback,

Please don't choose my retirement options...the Lt Col. SWMBO already has me living in a card-board box in a few years if I keep sneaking (obviously unsuccessfully) stuff into the house. Hey...use cash...it's untraceable.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Diamondback,

Please don't choose my retirement options...the Lt Col. SWMBO already has me living in a card-board box in a few years if I keep sneaking (obviously unsuccessfully) stuff into the house. Hey...use cash...it's untraceable.
    Hey Jim... you know how I said you and your wife should come up for the Dayton tournament next month? I am rethinking that now... I am starting to get a little scared of her...

If you need any blow-up furniture for your cardboard box, let me know... I got some in my last divorce that you can have...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Diamondback,

Contact the shipping companies. They do some excellent large cardboard packing boxes now. Fully insulated and with access panels. Almost a home form home

Default nice

nice. can't whate to get them!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    As usual therewill be a very big timespan between the announcement and the landing in the shops...
    Today I got my "Flight of the Giants " box which I had pre-ordered 15 MARCH !!! ( Yes 8 months! ). After a very angry letter with my store(German shop where I buy all my Wow stuff so far to my great satisfaction ) They explained to me that there were "difficulties" to get them from their supplier... they were very annoyed by the whole thing.
    It seems that people that make this WoW stuff need to learn a lot about how to trade properly...

So I wouldn't get my hopes up yet
    That's something that happened to me too. It was very frustrating to see "Flight of the giants" at Essen, because I ordered it around the end of march!
    Even more frustrating was waiting three more weeks before it arrived, although it was sold in Essen!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Eric
    Sorties Flown

Wink

Nevertheless I'll buy the bombers, as soon as possible!

AceZim

I am just starting to collect the models. I can't wait for the bomber to come out. So I am so glad I got a big raise this week.

Kevin

The other thing is, being single goes a long way--The Old Crab in question is a relative who I act as live-in housekeeper for 'cause she's a workaholic, and while I do have a penpal-with-potential she also both is a bit of a geek herself and knows that dealing with me means dealing with my prior commitments too, like this, AAM and my guns. (The latter two are both for professional reasons in different contexts, and if I can work up a plan to use WoW as a teaching aid for college-level History then I can weasel it in as a "Professional Resource" right alongside my Itty Bitty Ships and my .45s...)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the pic's they look superb.

Lucky.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Lads, (Veteran Husband-20 years service)
    Do not stray into the hiding the stuff for long! Wives are quite good at the hiding new stuff,
    YOU-"are those new shoes,dear?"
    Wife-"these old things? I bought them on sale years ago".
    Sound familiar? Wives are masters of this tactic, do not try to fool the master.
    One ploy that SEEMS to work is trades, establish a good track record of trading off goodies for other goodies. As long as known piles are continuously rearranged by "trades" new stuff is much less likely to raise alarm.
    After years in the trenches of the minis wars, I pass this on to the green recruits. ;-)

Fortunately my SWMBO also plays and enjoys the game. I have no problem getting the new ones into the house. Can't wait for the next set and the bombers two of each depending on the price. I recall being told that the balloons would only be $30 US. Ordered two of them from my FLGS and choked when he totaled them up. Having ordered them I felt it was only right to go ahead and buy both of them. Intend to be more cautious on the price of the big boys.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Default Gents, try a different track

I am fortunate with my wife, she looks for minis to buy me. Surprised me with an entire Japanese army one Christmas.

I have used a familiar logic when buying minis.

It kind of goes like this...

Honey, you know I am going to collect all of them eventually right? I have found them at xx price and that means I am saving us a lot of money! I could get more with what we have saved....

Going on 25 years. Trust me it works.

Johnny007

So, what about the Models now? When the bombers will be available exactly? It's 2011 by now ..

Hi Jonas.
    The reason that a lot of us are building our own bombers is the fact that as yet we have only seen the pre manufacture models, and any release information from the manufacturers is at least wildly optimistic to say the least. From experience we have found that the forcast release date can be up to 9 months out, so don't hold your breath. Someone may have more concrete info, but as yet nothing is reliable.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

I have found them at xx price and that means I am saving us a lot of money!
    Unfortunately, I've saved us so much money that we're going broke!

I bought A Gotha and an 0/ from Skytrex on NYE. I am hopeful that they will be shipped quickly.

What are folks using for bases for the big bombers?
    Zach

Some are making their own homemade stands. There is a stand for the Gotha via Aerodrome Accessories, but it will not be out until February sometime. Have a look here.

New bombers *twitch* new photos *twitch* AAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-26-2018, 11:12
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-17-2018, 01:08
  3. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 02-09-2018, 18:18
  4. Bomber Card Question
    By Kwakelee in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 07:12