Ares Games

Thread: ever hear of a WWI aircraft carrier...they found one

Default ever hear of a WWI aircraft carrier...they found one

World's oldest aircraft carrier discovered rusting by the River Thames
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	37251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	37252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	37253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	37254

The worlds' oldest aircraft carrier which was a precursor to today's giant Navy vessels has been discovered - rusting by a river bank.
    Looking like another just another rusting hull poking out of the water, for years the large dirt covered rusting wreck in the Thames was ignored.
    But a maritime journalist spotted the vessel was a 1918 Thorneycroft Seaplane Lighter.

Rubbish? The world's oldest aircraft carrier was found rusting on the River Thames covered in dirt

Distant relative: The HMS Ark Royal is the modern successor to the 58ft long 1918 Thorneycroft Seaplane Lighter
    Although at just 58 feet long it looks nothing like the modern HMS Ark Royal - which is more than ten times as long - the damaged vessel was the first of the kind.
    The tiny craft, discarded in the river like a shopping trolley or piece of litter, would have seen action during the First World War as aircraft carriers were introduced for the first time.
    Now it is being restored by experts at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Somerset after being recovered from the water.
    Originally it would have carried one plane that was launched by being towed into the wind - and then recovered after it was ditched into the sea on landing.
    Jon Jefferies, from the museum, said the small vessel was a significant find.
    'It's only tiny but it's this ship that led to the development of the massive modern aircraft carriers,' he said.

At sea: Archive picture of one of the first aircraft carriers in the world being used to launch planes. On landing the aircraft would be ditched and recovered from the water
    'It's the world's first aircraft carrier and at the time the Ark Royal is decommissioned it's fitting it's being restored to its original state.'
    Museum director Graham Mottram said he had given up hope of ever finding one of the early 20th century boats intact.
    'I was well aware of the story of these seaplane lighters, but was astonished to find that one had survived intact,' he said.
    'My short walk along the deck was some of the most exciting steps I have ever taken!'
    After seeing the aircraft carrier for himself, he arranged for it to be lifted from the water and transported to the museum's restoration hanger.
    Several of the craft's original features have been discovered by experts as they work restore it.

The 1918 Thorneycroft Seaplane Lighter - which looked similar to this - was discovered in the River Thames by a maritime journalist who saw a rusting hull sticking out the water
    The original boat number H21 has been unmasked along with the spot where the Ministry of Defence recorded the craft length - LVIII or 58feet - and the War Department's broad-arrow symbol.
    The crew quarters in the bow have also been re-discovered.
    These would have been used by the deck crew to shelter from the weather and sea conditions whilst under tow, and to store ropes, oil, tools and other small items required to service the lighter and its transported aircraft.
    The 1918 Thorneycroft Seaplane Lighter was built so that aircraft could extend their range prior to take off and be covertly moved.

Restoration: Vessel will eventually go on display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum
    Four prototypes were made and it proved so successful that a further 46 lighters were then made. There is only one other example of these early aircraft carriers.
    It is largely submerged and has corroded to almost nothing.
    The remains are entombed in thick black mud on the banks of the River Hamble in Hampshire however at low tide it is proving to be an invaluable source of reference and donor parts.
    The Fleet Air Arm Museum hopes to display a WWI Sopwith Camel on board once the dirty weathered vessel is fully restored next year.
    Ultimately the Fleet Air Arm Museum hope to complete the restoration and display the world's oldest aircraft carrier with a World War I Sopwith Camel on board as if ready for take off.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1pZ7danWZ

Thanks for that Travis. Good to know it's going to a good home
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I feel a new scenario brewing!

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Denberger View Post

James
    Yes indeed James. We have to have one of those. Or in Clippers world 60.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I suppose you could phrase it that way, but the lighter was designed more to transport the aircraft from point A to point B. To utilize it in a scenario, you should use one of the many real carriers used in the war to attack the enemy. They were not what we would call a carrier (one with a full length flight deck), they were closer to the Japanese hemaphrodite types of ww2 that only had a flight deck on the bow or stern. But they did launch and recover, and their experience is what we built on today.

You can dig through wiki for the details, but I find it interesting that there was a 1914 Ark Royal in this category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...United_Kingdom

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by James Denberger View Post

James
    So do I!

ever hear of a WWI aircraft carrier
    What, like these?

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, just like those!

Good to see an update Kelly. These stories so often vanish into the ether after the initial excitement wears off.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Yes thanks for the update Kelly!

Thank you for these articles. They are an interesting 'find'. Does 'The Daily Mail' journalist know that the Royal Navy has disposed of H.M.S. Ark Royal?

Smallish...
    I was expecting a ship big enough to be a museum...

Great find! I had heard some things about Camels being operated by ships, but i never saw one.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Smallish...
    I was expecting a ship big enough to be a museum...
    Me too

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

HMS Furious, c.1918

Last edited by Grey; 09-06-2014 at 21:43.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Nice pic Brian
    There are even miniatures available.

Ha, never seen an early version of her. what scale is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    There are even miniatures available.

Whoa! Now we are talking in the same language! Same question here: whats the scale of this beauty??

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Another great pic. The runway was on the top of a cannon!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Whoa! Now we are talking in the same language! Same question here: whats the scale of this beauty??
    1:1250

"Navis" brand.
    http://www.navis-neptun.de/home/home_e.html
    Last edited by Grey; 09-06-2014 at 22:27. Reason: added link

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Flying off platforms were the "norm" for a period. All they had to do was turn the turret into the wind, rather than the whole ship.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Models of the HMS Campania

and the HMS Argus, are available, as well.

They are not cheap.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

As Germany used zeppelins for naval reconnaissance, the Royal Navy was rather keen on stopping that sort of thing.

(A Sopwith Pup aboard the HMS Tiger)

Perhaps a WGF scenario?

Good to hear they are going to restore it. Brian my credit card just passed out, but who can resist those models they are great. Thanks for the link.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Good to hear they are going to restore it. Brian my credit card just passed out, but who can resist those models they are great. Thanks for the link.
    I used to collect 1:1250 & 1:1200 scale ships in my youth [wargaming], when they were considerably cheaper (of course my funds were also low, at the time too), but I have followed their development. That's how I know about them.

Scratch building was quite popular, even then.

Just looked at their prices and it reminded me why I don't buy their products.
    Rob.