Ares Games
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Over the Trenches Officer's Mess

Just spotted your other post Rob.
    We had better get down to the mess pronto.
    Rob.

Well it seems there is a majority. We currently have ten active players, eight have made comments, six show a preference to roll for survival on a boom card (whether or not a critical hit card is used for colour), two prefer to use the critical hit card to determine a boom card result, two have not commented even if against it is 6-4. The ayes have it !

To me that is sufficient to say that rule 4 as was no longer applies so:
    Any pilots/crew downed by an explosion card will have their fate rolled for as per other downed pilots using Black Ronins Resolution of Crashes/Wounds table.

The Critical Hits Deck can still be used for 'colour' by those that want to in these circumstances.

Those that still wish to use the Critical Hits Deck to determine the result of an explosion card may of course do so but will be at a disadvantage survival wise.

This has been discussed here in the Mess - I take the preferences to roll from these posts:
    Eric - 7eat51 - #317 - YES
    Rob - MoonSylver - #321 - NO
    Sven - Marechallannes - #327 - YES (he doesn't use CH deck)
    Paul - Tikkifriend - # 328 - NO
    Mike - OldGuy59 - #330 YES
    Andrzej - Nightbomber - # 331 - YES
    Rob - FO Kyte - #319 No then #334 YES
    Me - flash - no post - YES.

Thanks for taking the time to comment ! I'm off for lunch !!

Dave, thanks for taking care of this. Job well done.

I realize you don't know this, but I am from Chicago, and in the '80s, I worked for the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners, the governmental arm that ran all of the voting in Chicago. Our motto was "Vote early; vote often." In the end, it really wouldn't have mattered which way folks placed their ballot, for I would always have had one more vote than the opposition. It is the Chicago way.

Didn't even know there was a vote. Where was this published please?

Wow, I've really missed a lot of talk on this. However I think the decision has gone the right way as I would have voted to keep the dice rolling bit in unless the result of the critical hit was fatal.....how's that for sitting on the hedge?

Sorry I missed all the fun of voting. I think I was torpedo attacking, night fighting or dodging searchlight....or something else just as daft.

Maybe I should have done it on a different thread but the Mess has a convivial atmosphere and seems the place to talk shop !

A dicey decision !! The masses have spoken , so be it .

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Maybe I should have done it on a different thread but the Mess has a convivial atmosphere and seems the place to talk shop !
    Seems fine to me. I don't think you messed up.

Got hold of Lloyd, currently on vacation for a week or so but all being well he will be back for a game or two after that. no news from Chris as yet.

Just a heads up chaps - I will be taking leave for a couple of weeks from Friday so there will be no stats, updates, or nagging for that period ! So, if you want any updates or new pilots get 'em in quick !
    I look forward to catching up on the piles of AAR when I get back !! Fly safe
    Last edited by flash; 08-07-2013 at 00:24.

Have a good time Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I wish you a recreative vacation, Dave.
    Have a great Leave Dave, you have worked hard for it.
    Make the most of the good food, wine and shows.
    I hear tell that "The Girl from Utah" by Jerome Kern is on at the Knickerbocker Theatre, or you can catch either the Zeigfield Follies, or Pygmalian by GBS. which premiered in April.
    They are all very good.
    Kyte.

Enjoy your leave, Dave. I promise to speed up with my report no.5

Enjoy the break Dave, you've well earned it. Oh by the way I might need some more pilots.......

Only kidding but I've dented a few and a few aircraft I might add.

Have fun in the sun,

Neil and family.

Enjoy the vacation Dave. Hope to have an AAR, but no extra work, for you when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    ...Only kidding but I've dented a few and a few aircraft I might add...
    You only have thirteen pilots and crew available for mission six on each side.. I'm concerned if that's not enough Good luck with the op - there's an AAR with your name on it in the AAR sub-forum...

Thanks all for the holiday wishes - hitting the surf in Kernow so praying for a little sun to keep us warm !

I will be offline more often than before in the coming days, Chaps; vacation time has come and sea&sand shall draw my attention for some time:

Enjoy the R&R Andy

Have a good one Andy.
    Plenty of sea sand and wine.
    Are you taking your planes?
    Rob.

You only have thirteen pilots and crew available for mission six on each side.. I'm concerned if that's not enough Good luck with the op - there's an AAR with your name on it in the AAR sub-forum...

Thanks all for the holiday wishes - hitting the surf in Kernow so praying for a little sun to keep us warm !
    Newquay or Polzeth Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Have a good one Andy.
    Plenty of sea sand and wine.
    Are you taking your planes?
    Rob.
    Seaplanes I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Newquay or Polzeth Dave?
    In between Paul - Harlyn, Treyarnon, Constantine, Boobys, Porthcothan....and surf was good !

In between Paul - Harlyn, Treyarnon, Constantine, Boobys, Porthcothan....and surf was good !
    Know Treyanon and Constentine Bays well. lived in Plymouth for some years and wife no2 is a Plymouth Maid so always went at the week ends to bodyboard ther. Happy days

The beaches are as good as ever - sun was out & surf was clean - spent most time at Harlyn this year - been going there since I was a nipper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2767.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	105090

Looking from Harlyn towards Camel estuary - me in centre frame, SWMBO to the left with the blue board

Name:	SAM_2774.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	105091

And one of us together - the surf was only about 2-3 foot that day as can be seen by the chap in the background - worked out my wooden surfboard, that my father made for us, is about 45 years old now !!
    Last edited by flash; 08-23-2013 at 09:39.

Nice pictures, Dave.

It seems that you had a wonderful vacation.

I LOVE THE PICS DAVE!
    I wish I swam there!!!
    We share our time taking sun baths and sightseeing - below is the wonderful Sevilla

Name:	DSCN4017.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	105170

Very nice - the architecture ain't bad either !

Nice pics Andy and Dave. Can't wait to have a hol this year.

If I break contact for a few days it will be mostly due to the fact my computer is dying on its arse ! I will endeavour to have it repaired asap

Hope it will not cost you an arm and a leg to get fixed Dave.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob, all being well I will have it back by tomorrow or Wednesday, meantime I can maintain a watching brief using my daughters iPad which she kindly forgot to take home with her after the hols !

You lucky, lucky....hope the PC gets well soon.

Thanks Rob, all being well I will have it back by tomorrow or Wednesday, meantime I can maintain a watching brief using my daughters iPad which she kindly forgot to take home with her after the hols !

Very fortuitous Dave.
    Rob.

*RING RING*

"Guten tag? Rittmeister Schneider? This is Major Erwin von Schweppenburg. I thought you'd be interested to know that two of your aircraft, identified as Oberleutnant Wilfred Ruengeler and Feldwebel Kurt Weisel have been spotted over no mans land, engaging elements of the AEF as they attempt to keep some of our bombers from returning home...yes...yes, of course. I'll pass along more information as it develops. Auf Wiedersehen herr Rittmeister..." *CLICK*

That has a nice ring to it.

Rob.

Smile

One might even say "Two" nice Rings!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    One might even say "Two" nice Rings!
    Shape up, you ding-a-ling's you.

Do you want to play with my ding a ling?

Do you want to play with my ding a ling?

Some people would ring your bell for such an outrageous question....

Cuck Berry
    A misprint surely, or did those snappers in turtle creek snap something off?

A misprint surely, or did those snappers in turtle creek snap something off?
    Cuck Berry is Chuck Berry's OTHER cousin, Marvin Berry's brother.

*RING RING*

"Guten tag? Rittmeister Schneider? Major Schweppenburg again. I regret to inform you one of your aircraft has been shot down over no man's land...no, I don't know which one...yes, heavy fire, sheared the tail right off...my men are attempting to reach the crash site and ascertain the fate of the pilot...also, get your fire crews ready. The first Gotha is on fire.., if he makes it. He's under heavy fire and has taken a lot of damage...wait! What's that? Another scout has entered...it looks like he's marked with a skull & crossbones..."

(Only getting to play a couple of turns each night, so bear with me boys...)

Don't worry Rob. As you can see from the previous posts we can entertain ourselves for days on end.
    Rob.

Bells, the bells, Quasimodo loves Esmerelda.

Default Strange but true?

Imagine my suprise whilst I was reading "No Parachute" by Arthur Gould Lee and came across the fact that he served in 52 Sq.
    Even more astounding was the sketch from their song book.
    Note the aircraft in the top LH corner.

Name:	Kyte in song book.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	108207

Uncanny or what!
    Rob.

Well spooky there Rob.

Even has the Sqn (?) leaders ribbons by the look of it - that is uncanny (even if it's 54 Sqns song book !). Nice find

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast