Ares Games
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1572

Thread: Over the Trenches Officer's Mess

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Yep,
    I tried to stick to the use of "Friendly" and "Enemy" rather than "Entente" or "Central Powers" but I agree - the use of the nomenclature "RE8" is ambiguous.
    So for the benefit of other players: If you are playing as a Central Powers pilot, then the two seater is a Rumpler, as Carl suggests, or other suitable aircraft. It will be defended by two CP scouts and a third CP scout will attack the ground targets. The Entente will therefore only have the three opposing scouts.

And I guess the Italians would use a Savoia-Pomilio for the two seater (is that correct Rob?). I did assume that this would work for the Italian front, but if not, it could be assumed that the Italians were present on the Western Front, as they were later in the year to my knowledge. Sorry, not very clued up on the Italian involvement.

Anyhow, cheers Carl. Hope it goes well for you. looking forward to reading your usual excellently written AAR. Mike
    The RFC used RE.8s in Italy so they are an appropriate choice

Rob has unofficial Italian two seaters however so I think he would go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    The RFC used RE.8s in Italy so they are an appropriate choice

Rob has unofficial Italian two seaters however so I think he would go that way.
    Everything about my secret Squadrigglia is unofficial. We will make it work.

Addio, Roberto.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Unofficial huh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClickHandler.ashx.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	220168
    Ooooh - I feel another repaint coming on!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

One of my favourite cartoon characters. Below is the trophy my mates and I compete for

Name:	20170331_213443.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	220173

Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Steady Tim think of the ones you already have to do .!!!!!

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Steady Tim think of the ones you already have to do .!!!!!
    Oh, yeah, that's right.............................get back in line, Snoopy!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

A book that I picked up at the Gloucester's Regimental Museum on Sunday.
    May well help me with the last months of my Italian campaign.

Name:	IMG_4509.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	224244

Rob.

Nice pick up Rob

That looks interesting - horsemen riding bareback too. Guess they're just out for a stroll then

Blackpool golden mile ?

That looks interesting - horsemen riding bareback too. Guess they're just out for a stroll then
    Good spot Mike, my paternal grandfather was a drayman and, I'm led to believe, served with what became the RASC driving horse drawn wagons during the first war. Wonder what these chaps are ? My maternal grandfather was in Italy with the RE I'm told but I have no further details yet.

"He is wise who watches"

no further details yet
    Yep, it is difficult to get information unles you know what you are doing - which I don't! I know a little about both grandfather's military service during WW1, but not enough to be certain exactly what they took part in. I've looked on one or two websites, but didn't get far. Have to go on family hearsay and a few photos and that's not much to go on really!

Just posted Mission 13 brief , a tad early but not around a computer as of tomorrow. No playing till July

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Just posted Mission 13 brief , a tad early but not around a computer as of tomorrow. No playing till July
    Don't worry I won't play lucky mission 13 till July as I am running mission 11 tonight!

I am also that far behind.
    Must get the table cleared.
    Rob.

I'll be at Bovi this weekend and I have maxed my image allowance just about so will be a while before I play it and maybe longer before I can post an AAR.

"He is wise who watches"

I think we're all in the same boat.
    I finally get home this weekend after weeks on the road and hope to get to the MvR mission.
    SWMBO has promised me "Wings time"

Default Uncle Out Of Office

Just a heads up that I will be away for the weekend from early tomorrow so not available to do rosters etc - just popping along to the tank museum at Bovington for the two day Battlegroup South Wargames show to demo WoG.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Just a heads up that I will be away for the weekend from early tomorrow so not available to do rosters etc - just popping along to the tank museum at Bovington for the two day Battlegroup South Wargames show to demo WoG.
    Great venue there Dave, good luck with the demo game.

Could be artillery men. Picked up some info from a guy I met.

Q: Anyone know why black and white and brown and white horses were bred that way in England during WW!?

See you on the Dark Side......

The Bitter End Mission 12 must be cursed by the Ghost of MvR

I got to the end of Turn 5 and had just taken the last of just shy of 40 pictures when
    "Memory Contains No Images" appears on the camera window

I quickly went up to my laptop and plugged the SD Card in and, sure enough, the card is empty.

$70.00 later, after downloading recovery software, I have my pictures back.
    They all have different file names so I will have to sort that out, but at least I got them back and didn't lose several hours of game time.

If you recall, Carl had photo issues on this one as well, hence the curse reference.

"To Be Continued ..."

P.S. I also got nearly 2000 other pictures back dating back to 2015
    Nothing is ever really deleted it seems .....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    The Bitter End Mission 12 must be cursed by the Ghost of MvR

I got to the end of Turn 5 and had just taken the last of just shy of 40 pictures when
    "Memory Contains No Images" appears on the camera window

I quickly went up to my laptop and plugged the SD Card in and, sure enough, the card is empty.

$70.00 later, after downloading recovery software, I have my pictures back.
    They all have different file names so I will have to sort that out, but at least I got them back and didn't lose several hours of game time.

If you recall, Carl had photo issues on this one as well, hence the curse reference.

"To Be Continued ..."

P.S. I also got nearly 2000 other pictures back dating back to 2015
    Nothing is ever really deleted it seems .....
    Glad you were able to recover your images, albeit at a cost....$70 = four planes+postage .... OUCH!!

I look forward to seeing the AAR, particularly knowing how much extra work you had to put in to get it done.

Good save Pete, look forward to seeing how your luck goes this time - hopefully all the bad went with the SD card ?!

"He is wise who watches"

Glad that you recovered your photos Pete.
    What I take from this is that you have highlighted to other members the chance to save photos believed lost.
    Thanks,
    Rob.

Thumbs up

I have never heard of that (memory lost) happening before but really glad you were ultimately able to retrieve the shots from the Game.

Yeah it was pretty frightening (as only OTT AAR writers can fully comprehend).
    (Well maybe vacationers with thousands of pictures in a place they have never been before might be close)

I am sure that given more time I could have found something for less than $70 but didn't want to risk losing everything.
    Having been away for 3 weeks this was my chance to finally get going again, and I really didn't want to scrap the effort and start over.

When I first tried the trial version to make sure it would work it appeared that the most recent pictures were not there, but then I noticed they were not in date order.

Once I found the ones I needed I went for it. And now at least I have the tools to fix it if this ever happens again with any camera.

BTW - it's the end of turn 7, not 5, and MvR is still in the air ....

P.S.

It's all over now, and wouldn't you know it my second camera battery decided to exhaust it's charge when I attempted to take my last pic.

So, once I get at least one battery fully charged I can finish the mission and the aftermath.
    AAR will probably be done by the weekend.
    Barring any other interruptions by The Curse of the Red Baron
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 07-04-2017 at 13:38. Reason: P.S.

Hey Pete, that's a potential nightmare Sooo glad you managed to recover from a near disaster

I'm still playing catch up so shall not be posting my efforts for last month's scenario for a while yet. However, the terrain boards loosely based on Vaux-sur-Somme are slowly getting there - pic attached I hope. Meanwhile, I shall not read the results of any other players missions as I don't want mine to be influenced - Carl, your AAR was awesome, so I hope I can ignore it when writing mine - no insult intended there, only praise
    Chau for now,
    Mike

Name:	20170705_094854[1].jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	227091

Got to try to do this one proper justice!!

Those terrain boards are coming on Mike, that'll be a mighty impressive table when you've finished

"He is wise who watches"

Hey Pete, that's a potential nightmare Sooo glad you managed to recover from a near disaster

I'm still playing catch up so shall not be posting my efforts for last month's scenario for a while yet. However, the terrain boards loosely based on Vaux-sur-Somme are slowly getting there - pic attached I hope. Meanwhile, I shall not read the results of any other players missions as I don't want mine to be influenced - Carl, your AAR was awesome, so I hope I can ignore it when writing mine - no insult intended there, only praise
    Chau for now,
    Mike

Name:	20170705_094854[1].jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	227091

Got to try to do this one proper justice!!
    None taken Mike, glad you enjoyed it. Your board looks great, can't wait to see the action.

Those terrain boards are coming on
    Got a bit more done today, but had to work fast because of the heat. PVA and paint both drying very rapidly - Just have to complete the roads, canal and lake then flock everything on the last two boards and I'm good to go

Name:	20170705_152949[1].jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	227113

I have set up ready to go with Mission 13 but still have WGS AARs to post for the Face to Face WGS Polish Air Force Campaign I am moderating.

Too much Wings of Glory to play and too little time.

Love the terrain boards Mike.

The Falcons are all set to go up against the Terriers again.

As you know I dropped out of the OTT as I wanted to incorporate the scenarios from the very first OTT campaign as well as playing these ones,well those I hadn't played as I joined that one at around Mission 15. So can't wait as table is now cleared for action.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Love the terrain boards
    Thanks Neil. They've taken a while to put together, but here's the final pair of "ready to go" tasters Hope to start the mission on monday.

Name:	Terrain Boards 10 0717.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	227451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terrain Boards 11 0717.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	227452

Bloody brilliant Mike . Excuse my ignorance but where did you get those tiles, might be able to source them over here.

where did you get those tiles
    Tiles came from B & Q Paul. Got to get some more before they run out. When I bought them a few weeks back they were on special offer at Ł10 for 6 (if I remember correctly). Pretty horribly expensive from elsewhere. They are flat on one side but heavily shaped on the other. Use of no nails, sticking them to MDF board sorted that though and so far, touch wood, I've not had a problem with them.

They look similar to the "anti fatigue" mats I bought to put around my gaming/pool table.
    I need to get some double-sided carpet tape to stop them skittering all over the place ...

Wish I had your patience and skill (not to mention storage space) to do something similar to yours, Mike.

not to mention storage space
    Indeed Pete That's the next thing to sort out. But they come with detachable, straight edge pieces that are largely redundant. So my missus suggested stacking the edges and using them as spacers. That should work well, if I can find an appropriate corner of 600mm x 600mm to stack them Fingers crossed huh!

Further delay to mission 12 Sorry - off to Stratford on Tuesday, back Thursday then off again to participate at Devizes. All a bit crammed. I might get the mission done tomorrow but meantime the delay is my own fault I wanted a 5th RAF Camel rather than use a Belgian airforce aircraft. No disrespect but it is inappropriate. So I did my first ever repaint using a spare "Brown" Camel. With thanks to Oberst Hajj for his post on the official Camel thread. The blue is a bit light but too bad for now

Name:	209 repaint 2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	227676 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	209 repaint 4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	227675

Here she is crossing the Somme near Vaux-sur-Somme.

Sorry Dave, I still haven't learned how to remove "Attached Images".....

That's OK Mike....
    Last edited by flash; 07-09-2017 at 09:17. Reason: Spurious Image Deleted

Looks the ticket Mike. Hope it stays in the air.

Very nicely done Mike.

"He is wise who watches"

That's OK Mike
    Thanks Dave Well the mission is done and dusted. A real dogfight there. AAR shall have to wait a while 'cos Yon and I are away for a couple of days now. Sorry, no spoilers. Although I do have a question, so I'll post a pic to go with it:-

Name:	26 BE12.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	227830

Carl, this one is for you. It's a bit late I guess, but have I played the distance between rookie and MvR correctly? I interpreted the instruction as follows: After the Rookie has played two manoeuvers, MvR arrives i.e. on manoeuver 3, right? I did think it might have meant on card 2, but then I don't think the rookie would have stood a cats chance in hell (not even if the cat had been tethered and doused in mustard gas - see post elsewhere - "100 years ago" - horrible idea). Same applies to the arrival of the entente ace!
    Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 07-11-2017 at 03:15.

The way it worked out for me the slow Dr.1 never got into firing range on the rookie.
    I think my rookie only drew one stall the whole time.
    (although he may have drawn another when already well out of range.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    The way it worked out for me the slow Dr.1 never got into firing range on the rookie.
    I think my rookie only drew one stall the whole time.
    (although he may have drawn another when already well out of range.)
    I had the same problem. Before starting I thought about it and was going to keep both stalls and add in the climb as a third stall to slow the rookie down but went with the scenario as written. My Baron got in one shot just by a millimeter but that was all...now to write it up!

I'll be posting Mission 14 Monday night (my time) but those who want to get ready early for mission 14 here are some counters you can make this weekend. You'll only need 4 each of the 'Eye" counters numbered 1 through 5, the 1 through 5 'Spotlight' counters and 5 of the spotlight 'ALL' counters. (The rest are for my next convention game at Council of Five Nations in September.)

Name:	Night Spotting Chits.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	229170
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-30-2017 at 20:08.

Thumbs up

Now that looks most intriguing Peter!
    Unfortunately I wont get the chance to play it until the very end of August.
    Will look forward to seeing some of the AAR's in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Now that looks most intriguing Peter!
    Unfortunately I wont get the chance to play it until the very end of August.
    Will look forward to seeing some of the AAR's in the meantime.
    Hey Barry, we can play it the week you are up here in sunny QLD

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hey Barry, we can play it the week you are up here in sunny QLD
    Thanks for the offer Carl but I like to play it with my Hearts of Oak aircraft. Just would not be the same.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Dave Well the mission is done and dusted. A real dogfight there. AAR shall have to wait a while 'cos Yon and I are away for a couple of days now. Sorry, no spoilers. Although I do have a question, so I'll post a pic to go with it:-

Name:	26 BE12.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	227830

Carl, this one is for you. It's a bit late I guess, but have I played the distance between rookie and MvR correctly? I interpreted the instruction as follows: After the Rookie has played two manoeuvers, MvR arrives i.e. on manoeuver 3, right? I did think it might have meant on card 2, but then I don't think the rookie would have stood a cats chance in hell (not even if the cat had been tethered and doused in mustard gas - see post elsewhere - "100 years ago" - horrible idea). Same applies to the arrival of the entente ace!
    Cheers
    Mike
    Mike, In my mission I had MvR coming in on the third card. The Rookie pilot first two cards were left turns which kept him close to the East edge of the board. Then he had a right , straight, stall, right, which barely kept him in range for the shots that were taken. I did remove the climb and dive from the 3 combatants.
    As I said in the notes at the end of my AAR, if the Rookie had played 2 straight instead of the lefts, I doubt if he would have been caught.

...Carl, this one is for you. It's a bit late I guess, but have I played the distance between rookie and MvR correctly? I interpreted the instruction as follows: After the Rookie has played two manoeuvers, MvR arrives i.e. on manoeuver 3, right? I did think it might have meant on card 2, but then I don't think the rookie would have stood a cats chance in hell...
    I wasn't sure either but as I shoot peg to peg I brought my Baron in on the second card - as it was the Rookie Camel drew a stall that time so it was well within range, if it had drawn a straight that time it would still have been in range but on a subsequent straight it would likely have pulled away and been out of range from then on. Dr.1's don't play catch up well in this game !

"He is wise who watches"

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast