Ares Games
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Over the Trenches Officer's Mess

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    A nice rumour...

So the Oberst could design a medal for our SummerCon, too.

And this is the back reason of the whole of our effort! To get a new shhhhiny

This was a wonderful night!!
    Andrzej was late (he seems to be quite Portuguese) and I was exhausted but we talked a lot and laughed and I met his beautiful and very nice wife and he met Inęs and I think that it can only be better if we all meet in Prague!

It is really great to see the comradeship that has come about because of the Drome. We never realised that an offshoot of our hobby could be the cementing of so many friendships all over the world. It is a very pleasant and unexpected bonus to the hobby.
    Rob.

I must confessed we were late and went off the wrong underground exit Quim and Ines were so nice to welcome us anyway!

Cool.

What are the ladies drinking?

A pitcher with Cuba Libre?

Got a PM from Algynon - somwhere from deepest India - it's hot - wet - no electricty.

Nice job.

Time for a cold Beer...

Got a PM from Algynon - somwhere from deepest India - it's hot - wet - no electricty.

Nice job.

Time for a cold Beer...

... no electricity = no fridge => no cold beer I'm affraid He can only dream of it...Sorry for old Algy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    ... no electricity = no fridge => no cold beer I'm affraid He can only dream of it...Sorry for old Algy.
    What is far worse is the lack of ice for his G&T.
    Kyte.

You get me wrong...

I had the cold beer after reading his message.

You get me wrong...

I had the cold beer after reading his message.
    That is just rubbing salt in the wound Sven.You got one of those nice cold beers to spare. I could just fancy one myself.
    Rob.

Come to Prague on 28th and 29th this month, you can have plenty of cold beers with us.

Just an idea for the future - our campaign worked very well.

Do you think it's possible to play a KotA Champaign with this system?

Pre-condition would be, that we're all in the same squadron and fight AI's.

Big advantage - we don't need to play the missions two or three times.

For example:

(Mission 1: Battle Over The Trenches / Each side reveals the newest weapon in their arsenal – the airplane – and attempts to seize the initiative. The side that wins goes on the offensive. / Type: Dogfight / Sorties: 2+)

Whith 4 - 5 players, each one with one AAR/sortie, we have a meaningful result to go for the next mission.

Maybe we could motivate the Oberst to join us.

It could be a goer Sven, and solve a lot of the problems we have found with Over the Trenches.
    Rob.

Excellent idea, Sven! I know the system quite well and it tried it with my group.

Dave - what do you think about this KotA stuff?

Sven - I've not looked at the KoTA for a long time as never considered I'd play it before but I like the sound of all being on one side !!

Seems, you're on your own with the Eagles now, Andrzej.

Algynon will be sent to Ozeanien for the next half year, commanding a battalion of natives to defend imperial German interests overseas.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t-Center/page2

Haven't heared something from our Canadians the last weeks, too.

Not all alone, no sir... With hard pressed help, yes, but never alone.

Let me inform you about my situation. I should have done it before, but exhaustion, lack of time and stress kept me from doing this.
    As you know I was having an hard at work. A not very professional and human boss was making my life a living hell. I kept on, enduring and working he best I could with whatever weapons I had.

A week ago - and I was already looking for other jobs possibilities (and it isn't easy at this time in Portugal), my boss's boss invited me to become an Operational chief. I was very surprised at the time. I accepted (not that it was the exact work I wanted, I'm a teacher and I prefer to teach, but I would get out of the target crossings of my boss) and I was told that this back Monday I'd start my new job.

Then the leader of the Quality and Formation Department asked me if I didn't want to work as a Leader of the Quality and Formation Department. I couldn't believe. I thought that at any moment a train would come out of a wall and trample me. And of course I said yes. A better job, better paid, with bucket-loads of work. I barely can breathe but 2/3 of bad stress and anxiety are gone. I'm back from the dead.

I am very glad to hear that you have passed through this crisis and achieved some stability and a better outlook both work related and as your personal satisfaction goes. It must have been very trying for you. When you get that kind of boss(all too frequent these days) it must seem as if the whole of your life is about to crumble.
    I wish you all the best in your new position, and hope we can enjoy many more flying hours together.
    Rob.

That's good to hear Joaquim - hope you can find some air time soon

As noted in a different post, I have been hard pressed to find time for the campaign recently. All of a sudden Summer happened.

I have been struggling to get a Rumpler off my work bench for use in scenario 2, as well as making some bases and flight stands. (I don't want to have to taxi the planes around the battlefield again!!) I'm nearly there, though I may have to do without the Sopwith Tripe I wanted.

Hopefully I will be able to keep pace with Sean once he starts into the scenarios and we can progress together.

That would be good Jon - you could take on eachothers NPC pilots & make it more fun for both of you & give us something to watch !

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    As noted in a different post, I have been hard pressed to find time for the campaign recently. All of a sudden Summer happened.

I have been struggling to get a Rumpler off my work bench for use in scenario 2, as well as making some bases and flight stands. (I don't want to have to taxi the planes around the battlefield again!!) I'm nearly there, though I may have to do without the Sopwith Tripe I wanted.

Hopefully I will be able to keep pace with Sean once he starts into the scenarios and we can progress together.
    I just realised that I don't have a Rumpler either! Better go and buy one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Not all alone, no sir... With hard pressed help, yes, but never alone.

Let me inform you about my situation. I should have done it before, but exhaustion, lack of time and stress kept me from doing this.
    As you know I was having an hard at work. A not very professional and human boss was making my life a living hell. I kept on, enduring and working he best I could with whatever weapons I had.

A week ago - and I was already looking for other jobs possibilities (and it isn't easy at this time in Portugal), my boss's boss invited me to become an Operational chief. I was very surprised at the time. I accepted (not that it was the exact work I wanted, I'm a teacher and I prefer to teach, but I would get out of the target crossings of my boss) and I was told that this back Monday I'd start my new job.

Then the leader of the Quality and Formation Department asked me if I didn't want to work as a Leader of the Quality and Formation Department. I couldn't believe. I thought that at any moment a train would come out of a wall and trample me. And of course I said yes. A better job, better paid, with bucket-loads of work. I barely can breathe but 2/3 of bad stress and anxiety are gone. I'm back from the dead.
    Great to read such news, Quim!
    We are here waiting for you

Andrzej.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That would be good Jon - you could take on eachothers NPC pilots & make it more fun for both of you & give us something to watch !
    That was a real Flash of inspiration Dave. It would take a bit of the pressure off our hard pressed moderators.
    What are we doing after this cycle of games finishes? Who has still got one up their sleeves to do?
    Rob.

I thinks Sven has something cooking for us !

Great. With only a week to go to the end of my scenario, he could trot it out as soon as he likes.
    We await your magnum opus with great anticipation Herr Hauptmann.
    Rob.

I'll post it when I return from Prague SummerCon. (it's a nice, little one - two weeks deadline should be enough)

Think Toddwf and Tikkifriend need this week for their AARs.

So come on guys...

So come on guys...
    I'm working on it.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Just an update from me regarding OTT.

I am waiting form my Rumpler to arrive in the mail, then I can start on Mission 1.

A quick look at Mission 9 has me thinking of starting simple!

Go on, Sean As long as you fly against unknown enemy pilots and your victories do not interfere with current roster, you can choose any mission to start with.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

In that case I will read through the missions and see if I can start on something.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Can someone post a link to Mission 2 please. I cant see it.
    Possibly something to do with a lack of glasses (both sight and alcohol related :P )

Sean, here is the synopsis of scenario 2 which I copied at the time......... I can't see it at first glance either.
    Rob.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scenario 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	54028

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Rob

Quote Originally Posted by smitty_au View Post
    Can someone post a link to Mission 2 please. I cant see it.
    Possibly something to do with a lack of glasses (both sight and alcohol related :P )
    There you go. Somehow it got to page 1 again.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ot-the-Spotter!

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for our gaming event in Prag.

I'm glad that so many campaigners solved mission 9.

Hi Sean,

Mission 2 jumped up the list 'cos I had the temerity to post some questions on it.

You should be able to do Mission 1 without the Rumpler. That one calls for two scouts from your own force and three from the enemy. It is Mission 2 that will call for the Rumpler.

Cheers,
    Jon

I'm having a feeling of nostalgia about mission 2...

Alrighty! Back from spending some time at friends' cottages. Time for some games!!

I just started Mission 4; it looks like it will be great fun.

So far, at the end of Turn 14 there are two enemy planes on the ground and I have suffered no damage. The first enemy went down early from the explosion. The second also got exploded, but only when it was at -1 (yes, negative one) health, so it would have gone down anyway.

I need to take a quick break to finish off another model for the next segment of this mission, though, so the AAR won't be up for a bit longer. If I live through the that, I'll worry about models for the next segments! (And no, I'm not going to reveal which planes I'm fighting. You have to wait for the AAR!! )

Yeah... about the pics. I just had a good look at the pics for the first two segments. They are, unfortunately, lousy. My usual camera is not available right now, so I went out and got a back-up. The new camera has no flash and so the pictures are somewhat under-exposed and are a bit blurry.

I have rigged up an auxiliary light over the gaming table, so that should help. There's not much I can do about the existing photos now. I do have all the moves written down, so I could technically re-create the battle. We'll see how the next photos turn out, and how the battle goes from here. I may decide to re-stage and re-shoot the first 14 turns after all!

The quick-and-dirty build is done (in less than 18 hours elapsed time).
    You may all speculate wildly on what I have built!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1635

(I will be greatly surprised, and quite gratified, if anyone can correctly identify it!)

Mission complete. Even with the additional lighting the photos are, to be honest, crap. I am returning that camera from whence it came!

As for the mission, it went very well. By whatever fluke chance the Gods threw at me EVERY SINGLE ENEMY I faced got the explosion card. (Remember me musing about the potential for this?!) In order to give the enemy a fighting chance, I substituted the third BOOM card for a Fire. The forth one I granted a re-draw. It didn't help them much.

After 28 rounds and 12 bursts of fire, and having taken 6 points of damage (all from the last, A-gunned, enemy), it was time to exercise the better part of valour. (It was either that or set to work building a Hansa-Brandenburg D.I ...and then an Aviatik D.I ...and then a Hansa-Brandenburg C.I!)

Time to start collating the results and writing the AAR.

Greetings from Wrocław airport, chaps! In 30 minutes I will be boarded and on the way to Turkey. HQ has ordered me to check if our Turkish allies handle the newest Fokker types properly. Will report here right after landing. See you, dear friends

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast