Ares Games
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1572

Thread: Over the Trenches Officer's Mess

Default Christmas in the Mess

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all officers of this Mess and to all the visiting officers that pop in from time to time.
    Eat, drink & be merry, take care of yourselves & your loved ones, travel safe & fly right so we may meet again in the new year with our bellies full and a song in our hearts !
    Cheers ! Dave

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Merry Christmas dear Solo Campaigners.

Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Hear, hear.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you Dave, The Johnson household will be partaking of the Christmas spirit ( and some wine too) and wish all you veteran players of OTT a Merry festive time.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thank you, Dave,
    Here's an additional tip of the hat for all you do to make OTT so much fun.

Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Dave, can I prevail upon you to add a Sgt. Observer to my 2 seater crew as I am one short for the Jan mission.
    He goes by the name of Harold "Harry" Maylie.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Done for you Rob - looks like you have P2's Arthur (Wombat) Jessop & William Sykes with O's Noah Claypole & Harold "Harry" Maylie fit for duty - will you not need a third crew ?!

Cheers Dave.
    All ready for the morrow then.
    Covering this little pick nick will be Kyte, Van der Maren and Hawkwood in their trusty Camels.

Glad you spotted that Dave, I'll let Buzz bumble pilot the third 2 seater, and please add Tomas Chitling as his Observer. I seem to be getting through 2 seater crews at rather a rate of knots.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 01-27-2016 at 11:47.

Good luck with the mission Rob. I get to fly it this weekend.

Dave,
    in addition to adding Thomas Chitling as that other Observer, Kyte has finally decided to add Deadly Aim I to his abilities.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Dave,
    in addition to adding Thomas Chitling as that other Observer, Kyte has finally decided to add Deadly Aim I to his abilities.
    Rob.
    Duly noted Rob !

Greetings,

later this month I want to start the OTT:FM campaign as a multiplayer campaign with some friends. I've already sorted everything out except one thing:

How do pilots gain Ace Skills? Couldn't find anything on this topic.

For every 5 kills your pilot(s) get to choose an ace skill to use in future battles. Lots of tough decisions on which to pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtschwärmer View Post
    Greetings,

later this month I want to start the OTT:FM campaign as a multiplayer campaign with some friends. I've already sorted everything out except one thing:

How do pilots gain Ace Skills? Couldn't find anything on this topic.

Sounds easy to manage. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtschwärmer View Post
    Sounds easy to manage. Thanks.
    Check the campaign rules stickies Dennis
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Campaign-Rules
    The latest iteration of campaign rules is for OTT ED and may be the better set now:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Campaign-Rules

Haven't looked up the ED Rules but these are definitely easier to go through.

For those interested in finding out who the mysterious RNAS pilots were I have now added the end story line to my Butcher's tally.
    My sincere thanks go to Baz for allowing me to hazard his Flight commander in my scenarios for the last few months.
    Rob.

22 Completed, AAR today sometime.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Just totaled up the scores for my pilots who made it from the start to Nov 1918.
    How they ended the war.

Major F.O.Kyte. DSO and Bar, MC.and bar, LdH, CdG. 29 confirmed kills.

Captain Roderick (Ginger) Hawkwood. DSO, MC. LdH, CdG. 19 confirmed kills.

Captain John Perry. MC and bar. CdG. 12 confirmed kills.

Lt. Nigel Bouncer-Smythe. MC and bar. 9 confirmed kills.

Kyte went on to become a Wing Commander in Palestine, and in WW2 Chief of Staff Malta under Air Vice Marshalls Maynard, Lloyd, and finally Sir Keith Park.

Hawkwood became a test pilot for De Havilland, and was killed in a flying accident in 1933 in an attempt to break the distance record for a none stop flight.

Perry took a job with Rolls- Royce and helped design the engine for the Super marine S6. During the Second World war he continued his work on improving the Merlin Engine.

Bouncer-Smythe took a job with the Air Ministry, and was taken under the wing of Air Commodore Raymond.

Rob.

Some nice totals there WingCo.

I will take this opportunity to say it's been fun flying against the gallant Bulldogs and all 3 campaigns have been fantastic. A pleasure as always and thanks to Dave for tirelessly keeping it all together behind the scenes.

Neil

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Some nice totals there WingCo.

I will take this opportunity to say it's been fun flying against the gallant Bulldogs and all 3 campaigns have been fantastic. A pleasure as always and thanks to Dave for tirelessly keeping it all together behind the scenes.

Neil
    +1

I reciprocate your sentiments totally Neil.
    It is easy to forget our unsung hero who holds everything together, as you yourself are well aware because of your work with WW2.
    A great big thanks Dave.
    Rob.

Sorry to see you leave both the OTT campaign for the moment and the Premier League
    See you back in both very soon.

2 good wins against 2 paltry draws...it was inevitable. Glad one of us is staying up. With a bit of luck we'll be back next season. If not there's always League 1!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Sorry to see you leave both the OTT campaign for the moment and the Premier League
    See you back in both very soon.

I still have the AAR for 21 to write up. But all are played and very nice it was too. Although flying 6 this week has taken its toll.

Neil

Thanks chaps, Neil's contributions will be missed by us more than the Toon army but I hope both will return to the premier league in due course.
    Wouldn't it be something if Sunderland could follow the Foxes example next season...

Ah yes I do like a good fox hunt with the hounds......

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks chaps, Neil's contributions will be missed by us more than the Toon army but I hope both will return to the premier league in due course.
    Wouldn't it be something if Sunderland could follow the Foxes example next season...

Or Hounds and the Black Cats

Have a look at this thread chaps and see if you can chip in with any suggestions for DB, he wants some ideas to push at Ares for reprints.
    You can pick one of every type if you like so I have been trawling the books for suggestions !

Smile

Have a look at this thread chaps and see if you can chip in with any suggestions for DB, he wants some ideas to push at Ares for reprints.
    You can pick one of every type if you like so I have been trawling the books for suggestions !
    Thanks Dave!
    I have sent a pic of Edric Broadberry's SE 5a from 56 sqd with the Red Crocodile on nose & fuselage to that thread

That'll upset him - he doesn't want to cover series 3 & 4 Have a look at the matrix he's done on the last page that shows off the choices and selections made - I've suggested Park for the Bristol

Smile

That'll upset him - he doesn't want to cover series 3 & 4 Have a look at the matrix he's done on the last page that shows off the choices and selections made - I've suggested Park for the Bristol
    Yeah I got "ticked off" for that!

Why not 3 & 4 if all the other series are listed in his spread sheet?

Good choice for Keith Park's Biff. I did a Shapeways of his. (Pic attached)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WSF Brisfit quarter rear.jpg  Views: 54  Size: 129.2 KB  ID: 197638" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I'm guessing it's because those reprints may have already been decided. I'm not sure how much influence DB has but any at all would be helpful and it has been a fun exercise to trawl around for ideas.

Will the last Early Doors missions be put into the ED mission thread?

Yep. Have I missed any ?

Default See Adler Staffel Insignia

Name:	See Adler Staffel.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	198403

I have made up a Staffel emblem for my See Adlers, the band of Imperial German Navy aviators (Marinefliegerei auf Deutsch) I am running the for OTT Bitter End campaign.

Has anyone else done up a squadron emblem or crest for their detachment?

Throughout 'The Bitter End' I want to try and flesh out the unit and the personalities of not only my in-game aircrew but also their commanders (the so far unnamed Kapitänleutnant and Staffelführer have already made their appearance in a couple of the preliminary missions), mechanics and other characters. I think if we can actually 'feel' the loss of a pilot or observer past just 'Oh bugger he had some good ace skills' and have some appreciation of the motivations of these characters then we have been successful in putting meat on the bones of the Over The Trenches campaign.

Name:	OTT The Bitter End Campaign aircrew 1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	198405

Name:	OTT The Bitter End Campaign aircrew 2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	198404

I have done the whole gamut for WW2 Malta, but only really backstories for Kyte and Nigel Bouncer-Smythe in the Bulldogs.
    Rob.

Smile

My new unit for "the Bitter End' is the Hearts of Oak RNAS Squadron which first made an appearance way back in 2011 when I managed to get hold of a heap of Elwood Camels.
    Enter Captain Richard "Sticky" Triggers, Lt "Dusty" Rhoads, Ltn Justin "Kiwi" Thyme etc.
    I had Capt Triggers pay a visit to The Bulldogs & recruit their C Flight (my chaps) to join him & enlarge the Hearts of Oak Sqd. No18 RNAS. Naturally their emblem is a Heart as shown on my Avitar which is the Flight Leaders Aircraft with Red Elevators.

Name:	gully_raker Avitar HoO.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	198418

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have done the whole gamut for WW2 Malta, but only really backstories for Kyte and Nigel Bouncer-Smythe in the Bulldogs.
    Rob.
    All my Marineflieger are actual pilots and observers, most of whom were killed in action. I suppose you could say this is an alternate history version.

Hadn't thought about a unit insignia, I like it. I have not used historical pilots. Just my preference to keep this a fictional game. Hmmm, maybe a guest appearance now and again?

I have no insignia as I don't believe that the RFC had them but then Rob very kindly provide us with the Bulldog so that suffices for me. For personal reasons my pilots are also entirely fictional, hence Hugh Jundys and such other names ! I have built characters in the past but I don't over indulge as the effort put in can be so easily undone by an unfortunate fall of the cards.... Such investment can also create a reluctance to risk or lose certain characters.
    For me then it appears a bit like the real thing - don't get to know the chaps too well they could be gone next week !

I hope to build on my character back-stories as well, but, like Dave, I find I don't want to get too involved as those seem to be the first to "buy it" ..
    Luckily I had Mission 20 to Bring 'em Back Alive (well some of 'em anyway)
    Maybe the new concurrent method of determining how many missions to skip will help as well.It would be nice to be given our own sub-unit designations with an overall Kommandant for Jasta 24
    I have been temporarily using the one Obltn I have as the officer in charge.

Was sagst du dazu, Adlers ?

* hopefully Google Translate is not too far off ...

It is a very good idea.
    For the late missions, we have Major Kyte as the Squadron commander. (See the last time we did this time period). He was none flying, except when he could slip out of the Office unnoticed. Helps to give a focal point for the whole Squadron's Flights.
    Much like many of the historical Squadron Leaders did at the time.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I hope to build on my character back-stories as well, but, like Dave, I find I don't want to get too involved as those seem to be the first to "buy it" ..
    Luckily I had Mission 20 to Bring 'em Back Alive (well some of 'em anyway)
    Maybe the new concurrent method of determining how many missions to skip will help as well.It would be nice to be given our own sub-unit designations with an overall Kommandant for Jasta 24
    I have been temporarily using the one Obltn I have as the officer in charge.

Was sagst du dazu, Adlers ?

* hopefully Google Translate is not too far off ...
    Ich sage ,Jawohl Herr Hauptmann!'

Given we are moving into 1918 with a large number of players I think each side needs to operate more as a 'Wing' than just a single 'Squadron'.

For example instead of Jasta 24 the Central Powers would be Jagdgeschwader 24 or Adler Jagdgeschwader.

(Dave if that would just be an administrative pain in the butt then just say so, leave all the paper work as it is and we'll just add the fluff )

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    ...Given we are moving into 1918 with a large number of players I think each side needs to operate more as a 'Wing' than just a single 'Squadron'. For example instead of Jasta 24 the Central Powers would be Jagdgeschwader 24 or Adler Jagdgeschwader.
    (Dave if that would just be an administrative pain in the butt then just say so, leave all the paper work as it is and we'll just add the fluff )
    We've never been able to represent a squadron/jasta as a whole as we have always been over the numbers necessary and we have always flown two-seater's as part of it which should be separate squadrons strictly speaking.
    I'm not going to separate people into flights & squadrons as that's a level of complexity that really isn't necessary but if you want to be part of a Jagdgeschwader to affiliate your Sea Eagles to the elite Kaiser's Eagles and it helps your story telling then 'fill yer boots' with fluff !

A week to go chaps - lets get those games played and AAR submitted,

Onkel has just approved the AAR.

Two days more until next scenario, time to check the cartridges, fill the ammo belts, top up the oil, clean the plugs and run up the engines!

Nine flights of the seventeen available have so far been committed to battle, a couple of days to go before we see what Chris has in store for our intrepid airmen... bring it on !

Yea Chris - bring it on Ammo checked, belts full, oiled up, plugs cleaned, engine running!!! Ready to up up and away.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast