Ares Games
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Over the Trenches Officer's Mess

Good holidays, my friend. Have fun.

I hope you have a good time in Turkey. They usually run a good Mess there.
    Kyte.

On an unrelated note... I am preparing for Mission 5 and once again I find myself with a new project to fill in a gap in my miniature collection. One kite balloon coming up.

I do have a quick question that I would be grateful to have answered: What are the dimensions of the official Ae800 card and/or base?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    The quick-and-dirty build is done (in less than 18 hours elapsed time).
    You may all speculate wildly on what I have built!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1635

(I will be greatly surprised, and quite gratified, if anyone can correctly identify it!)
    G'day Jon. From the tail I will hazard a guess its a Seamens Schukert in line "Something or other"!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Greetings from Wrocław airport, chaps! In 30 minutes I will be boarded and on the way to Turkey. HQ has ordered me to check if our Turkish allies handle the newest Fokker types properly. Will report here right after landing. See you, dear friends

G'day Andrzej! Mate they tell me there is lots of "Turkish Delights" over there so you had better watch out.
    Oh & the Coffee is pretty good too. I hear you can stand your spoon up in it but it tastes great.

On an unrelated note... I am preparing for Mission 5 and once again I find myself with a new project to fill in a gap in my miniature collection. One kite balloon coming up.

I do have a quick question that I would be grateful to have answered: What are the dimensions of the official Ae800 card and/or base?
    195 x 90 mm Jon.
    Rob.

There are pics of cards in the files section here Jon, along with other juicy targets !

Ah. Thanks for the replies. I went looking in the files section but failed to find the balloons. I had seen one picture in a post, but I wasn't sure if it was showing on my screen true to size. (Similarly with the pictures in /files.) It is nice to have the actual dimensions.

The balloon itself is coming along quite nicely. I just need to figure out how I am going to rig the basket. (Don't worry. Pics to follow!)

Booya! The balloon is ready!!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1640

Now I just have to figure out if I want to put something together for the trenches and MG emplacements. Hmmmm.....

You have done a cracking job on that Jon. It looks better than the bought ones.
    Pity I can't say the same for the pictures.
    Rob.

Reporting for duty from Turkey, Side, Chaps!
    Weather is great, coffies are strong!
    I took a basic demo card set Watch Your Back with me hoping to hook someone here...
    See you!

Andrzej.

I took a basic demo card set Watch Your Back with me hoping to hook someone here...
    See you!

Andrzej.
    Glad to heare you are getting a good cupper Andrzej.
    Hope your recruiting drive does as well.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You have done a cracking job on that Jon. It looks better than the bought ones.
    Pity I can't say the same for the pictures.
    Rob.
    Yes, I'm still camera-challenged. I took that crappy one back, and am now left with only the webcam on my PC. I'm just lucky that I have a USB extension so that it can reach the work bench! I'll have access to the good camera after next Thursday (after my wife gets back from visiting her sister in Whitehorse). I'll take a few more shots then.

On another note... Andrzej, I hope that you find some opportunities to play in Turkey. What a great experience that would be! I really liked Turkey when I was there (over 10 years ago) and found the people almost universally friendly. I hope it hasn't changed!

Cheers,
    Jon

See you!

Andrzej.
    Time for a Late-SummerCon in Turkey.

Good staying in Turkey, my friend.
    I hope you'll find someone to play with.
    Citizen of the Universe Andrzej spreading Canvas Birds Happiness!!

I have just updated a couple of my recent albums with better quality pictures:

The Siemens-Schuckert D.I from Mission 4
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1635

The Ae800 from Mission 5
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1640

Hey Rob! My camera issues are resolved!! No more complaints about grainy, blurry, low quality images.

Also, since the camera problem has been fixed, I now have on my hard drive some nice crisp images of Mission 5. (Truth be told, I had already run this mission before I bought the new camera. I just re-created it from my records for the photos!)

Saturdays are such beautiful days, aren't they?
    I'm making a box for my new planes.

I have just updated a couple of my recent albums with better quality pictures:

Hey Rob! My camera issues are resolved!! No more complaints about grainy, blurry, low quality images.

Also, since the camera problem has been fixed, I now have on my hard drive some nice crisp images of Mission 5. (Truth be told, I had already run this mission before I bought the new camera. I just re-created it from my records for the photos!)
    And very nice too. Your pictures of the balloon have improved no end. Can't wait to see the re mastered Mission 5.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Saturdays are such beautiful days, aren't they?
    I'm making a box for my new planes.
    You read my mind, Quim. Sats and Fr are the best week's days

Managed to blood the new types with my son & von Schmallhausen last night. I took 3 Eindeckers up against their Saulniers & DH2 , a pair each, expecting a beating. Much to my surprise I shot three of them down without loss - both DH2 fell to boom cards and a Saulnier was shot down. A second game was called for and the same thing happened again. The Fokker scourge is alive & well in Sussex !

Congrats on your success, Dave! I see you are a happy owner of the new series minis I'm still waiting for them, traded for some older, rare minis.

Must have a serious go with mine this weekend Dave.
    I have only flown one inconclusive sortie as yet.
    Any pictures of your game?
    Rob.

No pics - I find that detracts alot from game play when in the heat of battle - it was a fun game but I'm already thinking why did I buy these when I can use Camels, Tripes, Albatrii & D.VII !

Finished mission 11 today and "rewarded" myself with a cold beer.

Think the AAR will need a few days.

Let me join you for a glass or two

.....psssst [I have brought a bottle of Hennessy from old French supplies]

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Finished mission 11 today and "rewarded" myself with a cold beer.

Think the AAR will need a few days.
    Congratulations. As for cold beers, in my case those will have to wait until November when I can quit taking warfarin pills.

By the way, beer and wine is almost the only alcohol one can get here in the Czech Republic now anyway (not counting mild liquers below 20% as those are just fancy glues). Since last Friday evening there is prohibition on selling, offering or otherwise making accessible commercially of any alcohol 20% or stronger here, due to over 20 deaths during the last two weeks or so, caused by some damned greedy bastards mixing ethylacohol with methylalcohol in an effort to evade taxes and selling that deadly coctail under various forged etiquettes of even some respected alcohol producers.

They should ban going outside, too. Many deaths could be avoided if everybody stayed indoors.

They should ban going outside, too. Many deaths could be avoided if everybody stayed indoors.
    Problem is, the deadly alcohol was distributed into shops all over he country, some even via internet (a certain Slovakian family could tell you that had they not been hanging on the verge of dying now). It is not just cheap low quality "noname" alcohol, it was distributed under forged etiquettes of known companies and some of it even had forged tax stamps. There are quite a few people in our hospitals who turnt partially or completely blind too due to the poisonous methyalcohol in their drinks.

A country-wide ban might be counter-productive in the long run though...

Andrzej, I seriously hope that Hennessy did not come from anywhere near our borders.

Incredible story, Jan.

I followed the news from the Czech Republic.

First I thought on no-name alcohol and homless people drinking cheap alkoholics, but now it's understandable if the governement forbid all liquors to protect people.

Remembers me on other incidents in Turkey or Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Problem is, the deadly alcohol was distributed into shops all over he country, some even via internet (a certain Slovakian family could tell you that had they not been hanging on the verge of dying now). It is not just cheap low quality "noname" alcohol, it was distributed under forged etiquettes of known companies and some of it even had forged tax stamps. There are quite a few people in our hospitals who turnt partially or completely blind too due to the poisonous methyalcohol in their drinks.

A country-wide ban might be counter-productive in the long run though...

Andrzej, I seriously hope that Hennessy did not come from anywhere near our borders.
    Certainly not, Jan. It's an old gift.

The situation you described is very serious and widely commented in my country as well.
    We should stick to beers, wines or a hmmmm...rare ones like Hennessy.
    I'm sorry for the victims.

We have had similar occurrences in the UK where unscrupulous club owners buy dodgy booze cheaply - tax is avoided & the criminals make big money while innocents get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    We have had similar occurrences in the UK where unscrupulous club owners buy dodgy booze cheaply - tax is avoided & the criminals make big money while innocents get hurt.
    One shop in Nottingham got closed down recently because of this, and I did feel sorry for the owner, as all the paperwork looked fine, and you could not tell from the bottles that their was anything odd about it. However, the consequences of this stuff getting onto the market don't bear thinking about.
    Rob.

An update guys, the prohibition is still in effect, however, at least 41 people have been charged by the police here, at least 17 are being in prison on remand. Most importantly, my colleagues have the two main suspects who have been the source of the poisonous methylalcohol. The bastards legally bought a large amount of methylalcohol (about 15000 kilograms of it) meant to be used in car windshield washer fluid and mixed it with ethylalcohol (usually 1/3 methylalcohol, 2/3 ethylalcohol). They sold the resulting deadly coctail to grey/black market. There are still about 5000 kilograms of the poisonous stuff somewhere out there, meaning the equivalent of roughly estimated 15000 poisonous bottles of alcohol.

There are speculations that they simply thought the ethylalcohol would somehow neutralize the methylalcohol or something, but both of them being graduates, the state prosecutor clearly refused any possible future attempts to claim that they had not known what would happen.

The rest are charged for various other criminal acts, usually for willful distribution of harmful consumables and such.

There have been 24 deaths so far, but the number may rise. There have been many others poisoned, some of them lost eyesight permanently.

Perhaps they should be made to ingest their own cocktail as punishment...

Perhaps they should be made to ingest their own cocktail as punishment...
    Let the punishment fit the crime!
    Rob.

Good to be here again with you in the mess, chaps. I need a drink. The AAR 12th just posted. That took me a long time, for real life intervened, you know how it goes.
    But I'm eager to fly Dave's 13th! It'll surely be a better mission than my project.
    Drinks are on me tonight, definitely

Perfect.

Need a few beers, too.

I hope to fly mission 13 this week & the Midway mission.

Too bad that Blackronin can't be here. Seems that you're on your own with the Eagles, Andrzej.

Yes. Real life has been getting in the way of my AARs as well. I have run two missions now (three if you count Rob's two-part one as two) but haven't managed to get around to doing a write-up yet. I really should get onto that!

I will fly the mission on Friday chaps, but in the meantime to the bar.
    Kyte.

Is it just me chaps, or is the impetus going out of this campaign?
    We seem to be going an awful long time between posts, AARs are falling behind and now we are not getting back stories or even everyone voting for the AAR,s we have completed.
    Rob.

Agreed, Rob.
    It became a habit there is a one month term for everyone to fly&post and I try to keep that pace. Mission 13th is on the way and the AAR will follow this weekend.
    But certainly I'd like to start a new early war campaign after the end of this one. Maybe some changes in general rules should be implemented?
    I think if we could resign from voting and focus more on playing and presenting the very outcomes of battles (fought against unknown enemies)? This could speed up missions (1/every week or 2 weeks)? Of course it would be up to the participants to present a more detailed report (which are very nice to read!).

Your thoughts, pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Is it just me chaps, or is the impetus going out of this campaign?
    We seem to be going an awful long time between posts, AARs are falling behind and now we are not getting back stories or even everyone voting for the AAR,s we have completed.
    Rob.
    Good point Rob I plead guilty to not playing mission 13 yet ( Daughter gave birth last week so doing a lot of trips to Rennes) will play and post this weekend.
    I was wondering about the voting and have kept a look out for the relevent posting but nothing as yet. The Time of year could be a factor but Im still up for the campaign, and would be happy to continue the scenarios through to the end of the war, chance to use those Snipes and Tripes , and an earlier version as well.

Paul

I agreed that the voting stuff could be neglegted.

On the one hand a feedback isn't that bad but on the other hand this should be possible to give in the separate missions thread.

Unknown enemies are ok - I prefer opponents with names so I'll create something like the Reservestaffel for the early war.

I don't know if wer're able to raise the speed of missions and AARs at the moment. So if we could get more AARs when the deadline is four weeks, it's ok for me.

Good & bigger missions take their time.

Agree re the voting - there is plenty of feedback on the AAR for the author.
    I would suggest we end the OTT campaign here on Scenario 13 & look to open the early OTT campaign straight away, however, rather than leaving OTT as a closed book I think it should be available to add further scenarios to for those that wish to dabble further. I am happy to maintain the sticky to do this and to support a new campaign. Sven - like you I would like some named pilots to fly against.

Spot on Sven.
    If we cut out the vote, which is now superfluous as the level of presentation is so high that all we are doing is patting each other on the backs, we can concentrate more on the games.
    I can manage a fortnightly turnaround, at least during the closed season for Re-enactments and wargame conventions. From April to Sept may be a bit more difficult though.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-23-2012 at 02:12.

Agree re the voting - there is plenty of feedback on the AAR for the author.
    I would suggest we end the OTT campaign here on Scenario 13 & look to open the early OTT campaign straight away, however, rather than leaving OTT as a closed book I think it should be available to add further scenarios to for those that wish to dabble further. I am happy to maintain the sticky to do this and to support a new campaign. Sven - like you I would like some named pilots to fly against.
    Whilst I would like to finish this campaign off in style, I can see that if it is becoming stale it may be better to take your advice Steve and quit before it just tails of into oblivion.
    Lets go early war, and see how the boys started off their careers.
    As I said to Joaquim when we started the original scenarios, I'm in as long as I don't have to fanny about picking names of opponents, and then using inappropriate aircraft for them, which means more repaints if i want to make it look right.
    Bar that I'm up for almost anything.
    Rob.

I'm happy to carry on with the present campaign but with a few tweeks here and there eg no voting , named pilots, max of 6 players per Squadron/Jasta 2 a month scenarios for example; so if you leave the stickys up that would be great Dave. If none of the other original fliers want to continue perhaps we can open it up to others who have followed the missions or any interested party and start again in Jan 2013 any takers?

Paul

No objection here. But I'd rather have one campaign finished before staring another (mostly because my original PC's are dead or incapacitated).
    What about playing a final scenario 14th, as just an epic fight Eagles/Bulldogs, let's say 5:5 to the death and see how our heroes die or nail the enemies during Operation "Michael"?
    And then start the new early war campaign?
    I second Paul's concept.
    Just my humble 2 cents.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast