Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Over The Trenches - Campaign Rules

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    Sounds good.

Ii had an idea that I'd like to play some Canadian boys flying for the RFC, but I'd be just as happy playing the Germans.

Can you point me to a location where I can get the complete campaign rules? I'm having trouble sifting through all of the accumulated posts to find information.

Specifically, I'm looking for rules on starting up (creating pilots, npcs, selecting aircraft, etc.), playing scenarios (which rules are in play, if there is a preference for 'simplified' or 'complex' AI movement, etc.), and campaign play (how to transition from scenario to scenario, what effects are carried over, stats tracked, and how the group results work).

Cheers,
    Jon
    Jon, you are welcome to play Canadians, that was my suggestion only, but when you take it historically - British Commonwealth had a numerical superiority over the trenches Feel free to form a squad of your fellas.

So now, let's begin the adventure

Click this:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Solo-Campaign

If you turn to the last of the post pages, you will find initial threads by Blackronin.
    Then the most important threads are the MISSION # threads, where every mission is described with details. Start with "Patrol over St. Carronne".

Oh, I have almost forgotten!
    Drop in for a cold one in our own Officers' Mess. Nice drawings and music you'll find there
    Other soloing guys (Rob, Quim, Sven, Jan, Paul, Todd, Dave) will gladly meet you!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Officer-s-Mess

Jan is a bit too short on gaming time, but he would certainly welcome you too, Jon.

As for nominating your pilots, please, mind that you are to deploy 8 aircraft crews, not necessarily 8 scout pilots. I would suggest that you deploy one scout pilot and one two-seater crew as your two player crews, 4-5 NPC scout pilots and 1-2 NPC two-seater crews. Two of your NPC airmen are supposed to be aces, each getting an ace skill from the start (or Chivalrous Aptitude AND two other ace skills). Then give each of your PC airmen an assigned airplane and add enough airplanes to the squadron's pool to accommodate all your NPC airmen too. NPC's are free to choose an airplane for the mission (some may have a preference for storytelling reasons, like some of mine). Airplanes are supposed to be from late 1917, no Snipes and Fokker D.VII's, please.

I shall then update the Google sheet with the squadron roster with the newcomers.

Thanks. I think I've got my roster sorted out. I've taken 2 scout pilots as my PCs, though they may be assigned to pilot the 2-seaters depending on mission requirements. Most of the planes are pretty standard; Camels and RE8s. The two aces in my roster fly Sopwith Tripes... a bit out of date, but there is a story there!

I think I have managed to find everything I need in the rules... At least enough to run the first scenario. Then there will be time to figure out what happens next!!

Just a few quick questions now that I have done Mission 1...

Is "Forced Down" considered a kill? That Pfalz had 2 damage points left and had just failed a morale check. Unfortunately, since rudder on both sides were inoperative (rolls of 1 and 6) it had no choice but to exit the table (straight, stall, straight, since it also had engine damage... and a crew hit!)

What happens between missions? I assume that the aircraft are repaired or replaced as needed. Is this true? Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Finally, from a story perspective; has a name been established for the 52 Sqn aerodrome? Is there a village nearby on our side of the line?

That about covers it. I'm off to try to find some acrylic rod so that my planes can actually fly!

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    Just a few quick questions now that I have done Mission 1...

Is "Forced Down" considered a kill? That Pfalz had 2 damage points left and had just failed a morale check. Unfortunately, since rudder on both sides were inoperative (rolls of 1 and 6) it had no choice but to exit the table (straight, stall, straight, since it also had engine damage... and a crew hit!)

What happens between missions? I assume that the aircraft are repaired or replaced as needed. Is this true? Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Finally, from a story perspective; has a name been established for the 52 Sqn aerodrome? Is there a village nearby on our side of the line?

That about covers it. I'm off to try to find some acrylic rod so that my planes can actually fly!

1. Fleeing from the battle was a wise decision. It's neither a kill, nor a point for the other side.
    2. Wound effect must be rolled. Quim devised a clever dice rolling mechanism to check how many (if any) scenarios are skipped by that particular pilot. Doesn't care if it's an unknown pilot. Only PC and NPC fate matters.
    3. Crates are repaired or replaced between missions.

Hope that helps

By the way - there is no name for the Bulldogs Drome YOU can name it
    It would be a nice contribution of a newbie By the way - search the town cellars for some French wine for your fellow pilots. Upppssss this is what we Huns would do! You should kindly ask some inhabitants...

The name of the Drome from which the 52 Squadron "Bulldogs" opperates is Bentangles. The nearest village that is not totallydestroyed is La Bouche. Although Le Fond Démons, some 10 km to the West is the favourite haunt of the off duty pilots.
    Rob.

One of my 2 PC's (von Oppeln) has now a KIA status. Do you think it's possible to get a fresh PC enlisted to the Eagles Jasta for me, or not?

Why not, Andrzej?

Was not the fist personal pilot we lost in this campaign.

Remember brave Stan Deasy in mission 8.

So here we have a new recruit for the Eagles!

18 years old, Bolko von Oppeln, Andreas younger brother, joins the famous Jasta.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    So here we have a new recruit for the Eagles!

18 years old, Bolko von Oppeln, Andreas younger brother, joins the famous Jasta.
    Sorry to hear about von Oppein, Bouncer-Smythe knew him at Oxford.

One of the chaps will drop an R.F.C. wreath over your airfield if you let us know the time of the funeral.
    Kyte.

...Von Oppeln often recalled wonderful hunting days he and Bouncer-Smythe spent before the war.
    Thanks for those memorable days; sent our well wishes to Bouncer, Kyte.
    Unfortunately von Oppeln's plane fell down on your side of the front and we even have no information if his body was found.
    Thanks for your generous proposal.

...Von Oppeln often recalled wonderful hunting days he and Bouncer-Smythe spent before the war.
    Thanks for those memorable days; sent our well wishes to Bouncer, Kyte.
    Unfortunately von Oppeln's plane fell down on your side of the front and we even have no information if his body was found.
    Thanks for your generous proposal.
    If you can give me an indication of the area in which he fell, I will make inquiries as to the possibility of recovering his body.
    Kyte.

It happened near one of the possible gun position, Kyte. If you take a look at our Jasta'a after action report, you will surely find the place.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Central-Powers

It happened near one of the possible gun position, Kyte. If you take a look at our Jasta'a after action report, you will surely find the place.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Central-Powers
    Thank you for the information Herr Captain.
    Bouncer-Smythe has insisted that he go in person to acertain the fate of young Oppelin.

I have lent him my Staff car so we should hear shortly.
    I will drop you a message tube with the information.
    Kyte.

Great looking campaign... either the Entente or the Central Powers still receiving replacement pilots looking to do their part for King and Country/Kaiser und Vaterland?

Thanks, at least, for the great AARs!

Chris
    Last edited by fast.git; 01-12-2013 at 11:13. Reason: Creative Spelling

Would love to join in, if its not too late.

We are nearing the end of the current campaign chaps but will be starting an early war version in the near future if you'd like to join that, having said that there is nothing to stop you running the current campaign yourselves - hence the sticky with all the missions listed; there may well be a late war campaign after the next to finish things off too !

Got no early war planes....yet.

I am looking forward to joining the next campaign. Will it be based on the first series of WGF? If so, I will order more planes now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I am looking forward to joining the next campaign. Will it be based on the first series of WGF? If so, I will order more planes now. Thanks.
    As far as we have got with the discussion it will be based around series five. the early war aircraft Eric.
    Rob.

Are you going to confirm the start date end date for the next campaign so we know what aircraft are legal to use?

More or less summer 1916, I suppose
    My feelings exactly.
    Rob.

June 1916.

I'm really thinking of using my plane cards from the games, expansions & boosters.

Like the idea of running a two dimensional game.

[QUOTE=Nightbomber;155127
    2. Wound effect must be rolled. Quim devised a clever dice rolling mechanism to check how many (if any) scenarios are skipped by that particular pilot. Doesn't care if it's an unknown pilot. Only PC and NPC fate matters.
    [/QUOTE]

Quick question... Where can I find the wound dice-rolling explanation & mechanism?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Quick question... Where can I find the wound dice-rolling explanation & mechanism?

Thanks!
    I believe all of the rules are on the 1st page in the 1st post. I believe this is the one being referenced:

At the end of each Scenario, the pilots that crashed should roll in these two tables. In the second, only if they have crashed in enemy's territory. (No Man's Land is considered enemy territory.)

Crashing and wounded Effects Table
    2D6 roll

2 or less - Dead!
    3-4 - Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios
    5-6 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios
    7-8 - Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario
    9+ - All well when you land well!

Modifiers:

Ace: - +2 to the dice roll
    Exploded: -3 to the dice roll
    The exactly amount of damage the fighter has of hit points: - +1 to the dice roll
    Wounded: -1 to the dice roll per wound
    Landed safely in Aerodrome: - +3 to the dice roll

Escaping Enemy Territory Table
    2D6 roll

2 or less - Captured! The war ended for this pilot...
    3-4 - Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios
    5-6 - In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios
    7-8 - Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario
    9+ - They didn't even saw me!

Modifiers:

Ace: +2 to the dice roll
    Exploded: -2 to the dice roll
    Wounded: -1 to the dice roll
    No Man's Land: +1 to the dice roll
    Healthy: +1 to the dice roll

In the actual campaign, Sven usually does the rolls for us, which adds to the excitement, because it gives that sense of suspense for a time, just like waiting for news from the Hospital or Front Lines.
    Rob.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123