Ares Games

Thread: Should I bother with Famous Aces?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Default Should I bother with Famous Aces?

I Started playing this game just over a month ago when I bought Burning Drachens. I got this particular box because it had rules for solo playing and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to convince anyone else in my family to play with me! I then decided that I wanted to use miniatures so bought the complete series 3 in the mistaken view that they would be most suited to BD. When they arrived I discovered that quite a few of them were B firing and so I didn't have the correct damage deck (BD comes with A, C and D damage decks).

So now I have also bought Watch Your Back. This not only gives me the B deck but 5 extra game boards that will be useful as I hopefully attract more people to play with.

I had also planned on buying Famous Aces at some stage but I now wonder if there is any point. I don't use the airplane cards as I only use miniatures so another 22 of them would be pointless as would the manouever decks. I now have 7 game boards and over 100 counters of various types. So other than to 'complete the set' I don't really see much point in getting it.

I suppose my question is - am I missing something or is there something I haven't considered?

Your wisdom please.

Default FA optional

Steve,

With BD and WYB you do not really need FA. There is nothing new besides the aircraft cards.

Cheers,

Carl.

The only think you might end up wanting/needing from FA is another A damage deck. If your games get large enough, you are going to need at least 2 of these. The other option and a better route to go would be to get the Deluxe set. It will give you a double sized A damage deck, another B damage deck and four of the series 1 miniatures if you do not already have them.

There is a sticky in this section of the forum that outlines the best way to get into this game when you are just starting out... might be helpful to you still.

Today I bought Burning Drachens.................and 4 miniatures.
    (2 SPAD XIII's and 2 Albatros D.Va's) I also set up my location on the Players Location Google Map and have found a local Gaming Club.

I guess I'm "in deep" now.

This week-end I plan on doing some balloon Busting.

I want to also get a Nieuport 17 (maybe convert it to a 16) repaint it: also adding some Le Prieur rockets.

I also saw over on Game Geek that the Drachen Miniatures are on the way
    and that another box set called Flight of the Giants - Bombers is due out
    maybe by Spring or Summer.

Very cool stuff!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lowell Throttle; 02-03-2010 at 14:39.

Hold off on that Ni17... The Balloon Buster set is going to come with a Ni16 with rockets

Similar Missions

1. Trivia Contest #7 : FAMOUS ACES ?
    By merlindex in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 16:51