Ares Games

Thread: Handley Page Bomber fans

Default Handley Page Bomber fans

The March issue of Aeroplane has an excellent article on the O/100 and O/400.
    Seventeen pages of pictures, drawings, and specs.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Cool, thanks.

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Very enigmatic Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Carlos von C

We've only seen the Goethas and Cabronis so far, right? Were are these elusive Handley Page minis!?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos von C View Post
    We've only seen the Goethas and Cabronis so far, right? Were are these elusive Handley Page minis!?
    Skytrex: http://www.skytrex.com/282/red-eagle-british-aircraft/

Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/model/30985...age-o-400.html

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very enigmatic Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.
    It's a link to an earlier article...

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    It's a link to an earlier article...
    Ah yes! That article. I see now. The link did not come up in blue on my screen for some reason.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Is the Skytrex offering the only O/100 available? Australia only had one as far as I know, but I would like to model it

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rat of Vengence View Post
    Is the Skytrex offering the only O/100 available? Australia only had one as far as I know, but I would like to model it

Dave
    Operational experience with the O/100 showed that certain changes were desirable, especially to the fuel system. In the original layout each engine had its own armoured fuel tank contained within the armoured nacelle which housed the engine, restricting the amount of fuel which could be carried. The modified fuel system consisted of two fuselage tanks and two gravity-fed tanks installed in the leading edge of the upper wing's centre-section. Wind-driven pumps supplied fuel direct to the engines, as well as to the gravity-fed tanks. Removal of the fuel tanks from the nacelles allowed them to be shortened and a new inter-plane strut to be fitted immediately aft of each nacelle.

Other improvements included the provision of a compressed-air engine-starting system, with a crank handle for manual start in the event of pressure loss, and changes to the rear gun position and central fin. In this new configuration this variant of the O/100 was redesignated O/400. An initial contract for 100 of these aircraft was awarded to Handley Page in August 1917.
    The nacelles are different, otherwise they're dimensionally the same.

Bowyer states the version serving with the AFC was an O/400 anyway, not an O/100.

So does the Australian War Memorial.
    1 Squadron AFC operated a single 0/400, which was flown out to Palestine in July 1918 and heavily employed during the last great offensive against the Turks, which began with the battle of Megiddo on 19 September. 1 Squadron also used the 0/400 to ferry supplies, including one trip on 23 September 1918 in support of the Arab forces operating under the command of T. E. Lawrence (better known as "Lawrence of Arabia").

Sorry about that Guntruck, I missed your post.

Thanks Zoe, teach me to go by memory without checking my references

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wjw View Post
    Sorry about that Guntruck, I missed your post.
    No problemo. This month's Aeroplane has an article on the airworthy Sopwith Snipe repro the New Zealanders have now built.