Ares Games

Thread: Binding screw - an alternative to pegs

Default Binding screw - an alternative to pegs

Just notices that binding screws could be a good alternative to pegs, especially for the bombers. Has anyone else tried these yet?

The extensions can be found in 13mm too!

They look good
    Where are you getting them from Chris and how much?
    Linz

Could they work with these?

It's a magnetic telescopic rod. Probably too bendy for a bomber but you could have some fun with scouts and altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    They look good
    Where are you getting them from Chris and how much?
    Linz
    Amazon £3.15 for 10 - look like being worth a punt

Found some 20mm ones in an art store in NZ at NZD1 (50p) for the ends at NZD .5 (25p) for the extensions! Looking online they seem to come in 100 for around GBP20.

I just measured up and realise that one 20mm and one 20mm extension is roughly equivalent to three pegs. Also I think they may come in black.

Just wondering if anyone else had tried them or similar?

I've not tried these, but I messed around with a similar idea/product. I found it very "fiddly" having to unscrew joints to raise or lower the plane a "peg". I've found for my self, the best option out there is a fixed peg of some type and tracking altitude with a dial or some other method.

The telescoping antennas have been in use for years with other aerial combat games, but I never liked the look of the metal forest on the table or the overly large and thick bases they require not to fall over

Ah, the old car antenna trick, shades of Lou Zocchi and the air games at conventions back in the 70's. Had to hold back the laughter then, still find it ludicrous today.

Has anyone tried the pegs available from columbiaareodrome on shapeways. I ordered a batch to see what they are like but they won't be here for several weeks. Thye don't come in clear so I picked up some blue ones.

Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Could they work with these?

It's a magnetic telescopic rod. Probably too bendy for a bomber but you could have some fun with scouts and altitude.
    I use these for all my planes. Even the ballons have some, there are also rods available which have a bigger magnet which i use but i'm not sure if these are necessary. To attach them to the magnet i have cut a peg in half and glued it to a metall marble.
    Works like a charm.
    cheers

I build my own. Only the post that threads into the aircraft is threaded.
    Tony
    How too in my album.