Ares Games

Thread: Flat Finishes

Hybrid View

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Default Flat Finishes

I've always used Microscale Micro flat to put a matte finish on my models. I've applied the finish using diluted micro flat and an air brush. I've never had any problems with 1/72 scale models but have notice inconsistent results with 1/144 planes and small ships and tanks. I'm probably too much of a perfectionist but sometimes it almost looks a bit glossy and other times I'm seeing a some haze.

I'm curious to know what people are using on their WoG repaints and shapeways models and any good tips on products or techniques.

Thanks in advance,

David

for the finish I use either Testors dulcote or I have a large can of Armoury matte finish.. the armoury dries fast but sometimes has a frosting effect.. the testors is slow drying and looks nice when done.. just my 2 cents..

Testors Dullcote every time!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Whatever finish I use always has a gloss varnish finish first to give durability and then Testors Dullcoat to matt it off. I have never had any problems, even when the workshop has been colder than the reccomended working temperature. I do however take the spray can into the house to warm up first on a really cold day.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Varnish often goes cloudy if the air humidity is very high. Try never varnishing on a rainy day and your problem may well go away. You probably don't have many rainy days in California but it happens quite a bit here in the UK.

Ian.. that song about it never raining in California.. lol.. it lies.. winter is the rainy season there.. I spent 25 years in that state.. always rains in winter..

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    Ian.. that song about it never raining in California.. lol.. it lies..
    Fantastic! Well not for those who live there.

By the way, humidity under 60% should be ok but the lower the better.

For my Ju52's I used Tamiya clear flat (TS-80). It gives a flat finish but the colors do change. The clear coat has a tendency to darken the colors and I cannot say it's a 100% flat finish. The second thing is that the decals (set with Microscale's Micro Set) seem to be affected in a bad way by the Tamiya paint. They got completely wrinkled and I had to do a lot of effort to minimize that effect.
    On a normal large scale model I would never use this and would look for something different. For this small scale I rather like this finish (except for the wrinkled decals) because the plane look more "game-like".

Testors Dull... I actually had my first unpleasant experience with it yesterday evening. I'll blame the fact that I ran out in the middle of spraying.

I had Testors rip into some of the paintwork even after two coats of varnish. I must have missed a few spots...

I just started using a matt varnish from Australia that worked well. Even coats decals well from the inkjet. National materials Matt varnish (orange can).

Tried 20 odd products before (luckily finding this gem)

I have used Winsor and Newton Artists Acrylic Matt Varnish from the bottle for decades, coating thousands of soldiers, ships and aircraft, without any problem whatever, sprays indeed, whatever next.

I've noticed that Glosscote and Dullcote are very temperature dependent. If it's too cold or too hot (or too humid, for that matter), it messes up the finish and I need to redo it.

David, I've found you have to be careful how much matt varnish you apply to these little planes with an airbrush. If you try and put it on to think in one coat, it will haze just a little on you. I have been using Vallejo varnishes with my airbrush on the last several planes and have been really happy with it. I can work with it right in my office/hobby room with no orders and water to clean it up.

Using the airbrush allows me to apply it right were I need it with out worrying about build up on surrounding areas.

Exclamation

Just my "tuppence" worth.
    I have only ever used GW's Matt Varnish as I always have some lying around for my 40K stuff.
    However I NEVER spray, always hand brush & I have never had any problems.

Testors Dullcote!

Chris

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for all the input. I tried the large can of armory spray flat coat just the other day and got a lot of haze on the darker colors. I had to redo the finish on a black Albatross.

David.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

With constant rain on the wet coast of Canada. I gave up on all sprays. Conditions are way to unpredictable. Hazing and cracking. Liquitex brush on matte coat only for me.