Ares Games

Thread: Trivia #8

Default Trivia #8

Well here it is. The trivia #8 question and I hope that you feel challenged and informed by it.

PM me with the your answers.

Trivia Question #8

The Nieuport fighters were used by more nations during the Great War than any other fighter aircraft. The following Nieuport fighters are - or are planned to be - produced for the Wings of War Series; Nie.11, Nie.16, Nie.17, Nie.21, and Nie.23. Which countries flew which types of these Nieuport fighters in combat?

Nie.11

Nie.16

Nie.17

Nie.21

Nie.23

What were the differences between the Nie.11 and Nie.16?

What were the differences between the Nie.17 and Nie.23?

What were the differences between the Nie.17 and Nie.21?

The Nie.11 was known as the Bebe, why?

BONUS: What German manufacturer produced a copy of a Nieuport fighter and which model Nieuport was it?

Andy R.

merlindex's Avatar Vendée Flight Leader
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Merlin
    Sorties Flown

Did you recieve my answers ?

Yeah I PM'd my answers in as well like 30 minutes after the thing was posted and didn't get anything back yet.

My guess is that he's either not received a full set of correct answers, or hasn't had time...it IS the weekend

My apologies for not responding quicker on the answers that I received for the Trivia #8 questions. I received everyone answers so far and it is close on who is leading. I will post who stands where on Tuesday night and the winner this Friday.

Thanks,
    Andy

Default The winner, and answer.

My apologies for the time it has taken to announce the winner of the #8 Trivia question. Between the extra hours at work, being sick and a family member in the hospital I have been trying to decide who came closest to the correct answer. All entries were real close and I had to go over them answer by answer to decide the closest to the correct one.

The winner is:

merlindex

His answers were not completely like mine but they were the closest.

Here are the answers:

Trivia Question #8

The Nieuport fighters were used by more nations during the Great War than any other fighter aircraft. The following Nieuport fighters are - or are planned to be - produced for the Wings of War Series; Nie.11, Nie.16, Nie.17, Nie.21, and Nie.23. Which countries flew which types of these Nieuport fighters in combat?

Nie.11: France, Great Britian, Italy, Russia, Belgium, Rumania, Serbia, and Germany

Nie.16: France, Great Britian, Russia, and Belgium

Nie.17: France, Great Britian, Italy, Russia, Belgium, Rumania, Serbia, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Soviets, and Germany

Nie.21: France, Great Britian, Russia, Belgium, and Czechoslovakia

Nie.23: France, Great Britian, Russia, Belgium, Rumania, Czechoslovakia, Poland, and the Soviets

What were the differences between the Nie.11 and Nie.16?
    Engine: 110 hp LeRhone in place of the 80 hp LeRhone
    Fuselage: Strengthened to handle the heavier engine and a headrest added.

What were the differences between the Nie.17 and Nie.23?
    Engine: Some 23 had a 110 hp LeRhone with aluminum instead of steel cylinders.
    Wings: Rear spar of upper wing was reworked for strength but it did not improve
    the wings weakness.
    Armament: A new interrupter system was used for the Vickers M/G the move the
    weapon over towards the starboard side of the decking.

What were the differences between the Nie.17 and Nie.21?
    Engine: The 80 hp LeRhone in place of the 110 hp LeRhone.

The Nie.11 was known as the Bebe, why?
    The Nieuport 11 was designated as the Nieuport BB-XI. This designation came from two places: the first B was from the SFA’s (Service des Fabrications Aeronautiques) classification for light single-seat fighter aircraft, the second B was from Nieuport’s classification for biplanes. The BB would be pronounced bebe in French and with its smaller size compared to the Nieuport 10 lead to the Nie. 11 to be known as the Nieuport Bebe.

BONUS: What German manufacturer produced a copy of a Nieuport fighter and which model Nieuport was it?
    Siemens Schukert was asked to copy captured Nie. 17, instead they took and redesigned it with a stronger airframe and the geared SSW engine. Only about 150 were produced due to the troubles with the engines.

Thanks to all that sent in their answers,

Andy R.

Congrats to Merlindex!!!

Can't wait to see your trivia #9 question!

merlindex's Avatar Vendée Flight Leader
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Merlin
    Sorties Flown

It was a quite difficult one !

I ll post the next one before the end of the Week maybe tomorow ...

Similar Missions

1. TRIVIA/QUIZ CONTEST
    By usmc1855 in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 01:57
  2. Trivia Contest #5 - Roundels
    By Carlos Lopes in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 16:34
  3. TRIVIA CONTEST #2: AIRPLANE PHOTOS
    By usmc1855 in forum Trivia Quizzes
    Replies: 10