Ares Games

Thread: Nieuports

Default Nieuports

Quote Originally Posted by kduke42 View Post
    So what is the diff between N24 bis and N 24, the tail?
    Yes. The improved tail caused structural issues, so they did a temporary fix by reverting to the old one. The 27 fixed those issues instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Was it the bis that had the rounded fuselage sides??
    They all did - 24, 24bis, and 27.

N24:

N24bis:

N27:

Externally, the 24 and 27 were almost identical, so I don't see why models of both were made. One had a 120hp and was supposed to be a trainer (the 27), the other a 130hp (the 24). The 27 was sometimes fitted with a 160hp and two guns, but "performance suffered" to say the least.

The Nieuport 27 was almost identical to the standard Nieuport 24 except for a divided-axle landing gear and an internally mounted tailskid. The wheels each had articulated axles fitted with rubber cords.

N.11 - the original
    N.16 - an N.11 with a larger engine - didn't work so well.

N.17 - new aircraft, much enlarged and improved.
    N.21 - trainer N17 with smaller engine - performance like an 11
    N.23 - stronger N17 that was actually weaker till they fixed it

N.24 - new aircraft, fuselage streamlined a lot, weak tail
    N.24bis - N.24 with old tail
    N.27 - trainer N24 with smaller engine and debugged

N28 - new aircraft.

All the "trainers" were used in combat at some time, as demand exceeded supply of the others.

Default Nieuport 24 bis profiles

They're now for sale.

Starting with the Nieuport 24 bis, with Vickers: http://www.shapeways.com/model/46592...__vickers_.htm

This is the appropriate model for French, Greek and (most)Russian aircraft. And RFC aircraft in Palestine (shipped directly from France). These sometimes added a lewis, accepting the performance penalty.

Last edited by Zoe Brain; 02-07-2012 at 05:37.

Default Nieuport 24 profiles

http://www.shapeways.com/model/46592..._vickers_.html

This is appropriate for French aircraft. A very few were fitted with Lewis as well, for a while. The performance penalty was deemed excessive.

The Nieuport 25 is really similar, the difference not being apparent in 1/144 (different undercarriage axle, basically)

Here's Nungesser's mount

And a Russian one, mounting a Lewis as well.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 02-07-2012 at 05:37.

Default RFC Nieuport 24

http://www.shapeways.com/model/46592...4__lewis_.html

The Nieuport 24 was the same as the Type 17bis only fitted with new wings with a new, more cambered, aerofoil section and a whole new rounded, more elegant tail. Due to production problems with the new all wooden tail structure, the Type 24bis was introduced into production first with the original Type 17 tail with its simple steel tube structure. Thus the Type 24bis preceded the Type 24.

The British RFC received approximately seventeen of these two types, though the Type 24 was not used by operational units as it proved to be difficult to handle in combat due to some problem with its aileron control, the precise nature of which is still unknown. The reason for the small numbers used was because the Type 27 soon replaced the Type 24 in production.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 02-07-2012 at 05:00.

Default RFC Nieuport 27 Profiles

http://www.shapeways.com/model/46593...27__lewis_.htm

The model is of the 2-gun variant, which this time seems to be not very rare in the RFC.

An interesting variation is this RFC aircraft in French 5-colour cammo, serving with No 1 squadron.

For the ones that only have the Lewis, the model of the 24 may be the best to use. The ailerons will need rounding though. Or remove the vickers.

Italian 27s sometimes had 2 guns too. This one appears to have been transferred from the French Reserve, so although is in the 81 Squadrilia, it's still in French markings.

French 27 with second gun (and as a bonus, a 24 too)

Last edited by Zoe Brain; 02-07-2012 at 05:36.

Default Nieiport 27 profiles

This model is appropriate for those in Italian, French, Russian and American service. (Ukranian etc too)

ex-Russian Ukranian Nieuport 27

Replica in US markings

oh dear, more expense. Nice profiles Zoe, very scannable.....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Great images Zoe, the little Nieuports have always been a favourite of mine and you can really go to town on the paintjobs. I've got 8 '17s already (half Skytrex as the Storks, half WOW as Lafayette), but I'm sorely tempted to pick up a handful of these to replace my French '17s as an alternative to their sluggish SPADs.

Nieuports have allways been a fave of mine, great info thanks

i like the neuports to, their nice and agile as well as they were always painted in different ways like ur example. thnx for the info zoe plus i never new the russians were part of the great war.

Looking at the way those Lewis guns are angled, it does not seem possible to fire both the Lewis and the Vickers guns simultaneously at the same target.

I enjoyed the article. Thanks.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the info on these babies!

Good review on Nieuports Zoe.
    Don

There is an Italian Nieuport in one of my album photos from the TVAL hangar here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=87269

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

GREAT stuff here! I really love the one with the satyr on the side - it begs to be painted on a plane...I must search for a suitable model for it!

Thanks for sharing all the lovely profiles!
    All the best,
    Harry (Matt) Materne

Yep all this stuff is amazing! Personally I like the Demoiselle Nieuport. Probably a mention to Santo Dumont's Demoiselle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	145848

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Yep all this stuff is amazing! Personally I like the Demoiselle Nieuport. Probably a mention to Santo Dumont's Demoiselle:

I loved that plane in the movie "Those daring young men etc etc"

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post

An early attempt at a Microlight?