Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ares to release a new Rules and Accessories pack

I will probably get it just to have all the rules in one place.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Me too
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

I dunno... it seems like a bad idea to me to create a package that does not have a complete game. There are bound to be people who pick it up believing they can take it home and play it and then are disappointed and angry when they get it home and realize that they can't (and possibly can't get their money back since they've opened the box). Also there will be people who pick it up and hopefully realize that it's not a complete game but are annoyed that you have to buy other components. I know I am always annoyed when I run into that situation.

Not trying to have a negative attitude - my concern is what's in the best interest of the popularity and longevity of the game. I just don't see this as the best marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivner View Post
    I dunno... it seems like a bad idea to me to create a package that does not have a complete game. There are bound to be people who pick it up believing they can take it home and play it and then are disappointed and angry when they get it home and realize that they can't (and possibly can't get their money back since they've opened the box). Also there will be people who pick it up and hopefully realize that it's not a complete game but are annoyed that you have to buy other components. I know I am always annoyed when I run into that situation.

Not trying to have a negative attitude - my concern is what's in the best interest of the popularity and longevity of the game. I just don't see this as the best marketing.
    This was my initial thought as well. This box is fine for those of us in the know, but I know of several new players who just want something to play, and the game is unplayable with only this box...

Keep in mind that there are going to be 16 shiny new planes displayed right next to the box. However, I do agree that they should have just dropped 4 of those new planes into this box and called it the Starter Set. All the old players would buy it for the consolidated rule book and the minis of course. New players would also have a complete game in one box (If at a higher price tag).

I will get it for the consolidated rules.

RowanH

Does anyone happen to know what style of flight consoles are being included in the new rules pack? My regular group prefer the small consoles from Flight of the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by RowanH View Post
    Does anyone happen to know what style of flight consoles are being included in the new rules pack? My regular group prefer the small consoles from Flight of the Giants.
    Looking at the box size, I'd say if there are any in there, they would have to be the smaller ones.

RowanH

That's good to hear. I'm glad the game is finally back on track (if slowly). I got into it just before the fantasy-flight split and have struggled to find bits ever since. It will be good to have a comprehensive rule set and damage decks in one place.

Rob.
    I'm guessing I'll do the same.

/Niclas

sounds good to me and the box sure does look purdy

From the Ares Facebook page today:

WW1 Wings of Glory Rules Pack: Finally at the printer!
    https://www.facebook.com/AresGames

If it has only just gone to the printers, it won't be on schedule for release then if we go by the old standard, it could be another six months. It will be interesting to see how Ares measures up.
    Rob.

If it has only just gone to the printers, it won't be on schedule for release then if we go by the old standard, it could be another six months. It will be interesting to see how Ares measures up.
    Rob.
    Well there is a surprise, looks like there will be a delay , now where have I heard that one before... Of yes bombers

If someone wants to do the research, I think I recall there being a post about the WWII starter set going to the printers as well. We could use that post and the actual "in store" date to get an idea if there is going to be a delay or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Well there is a surprise, looks like there will be a delay , now where have I heard that one before... Of yes bombers
    People may think we are cynical Chris. I say are we cynical?
    Back comes the answer.
    Yes! We blooming well are.
    Kyte.

Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    People may think we are cynical Chris. I say are we cynical?
    Back comes the answer.
    Yes! We blooming well are.
    Kyte.
    Not cynical, just experienced (at least that's what I say at work)
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Whether by accident or design it looks good for players with collections of non-Nexus / Ares models. All you need is there bar the manoeuvre decks and stands, which you can get here.
    I agree with you on this point David I think it will be useful for both old and new players, as seen from other threads there still mins out there but no rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    I'm guessing I'll do the same.

/Niclas
    They'll probably have the rulebook available for free download (like the WW2 version) anyway. I might pick up a set for the extra damage decks and counters all the same.

Green Goblin's Avatar Mess Hall Attendant
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

Box art does look a bit cartoon-ish but I'm pleased that all the damage cards and rules are now to be found in one box. As to the choice of planes a change is as good as a rest and I'm sure that the older minis will be re-released in new paint schemes eventually.
    I wonder if the new owners are using the same manufacturers as I did experience some shortages in trying to buy the more popular ones which I put down to eratic production. But then maybe you know better ......

Rob.
    Same here!
    (plus as a little gesture of support to "encourage" Ares to keep 'em coming)

I was wondering how many would get this new set. I figured since we have all of these thing why have more but may have to get it because as others said everything in one box and support so we get more goodies (planes).

I'm all for support and having the current decks might help when doing demos and such. I'm still on the fence about getting it... but I'm sure I will. lol

Many of us will probably buy this one for the complete rules set, and to support the game as a whole. Ares has done a great job of picking up where Nexus left off (dare I say a bit better!?), and I'm hoping to see Series 5 along with this set yet this quarter.

Basing on clues from the ww1 bombers, I would guess that there are some major revisions in these rules. So it would behoove us to get copies of them, and since the counters seem changed as well. Wondering if I need another doorstop with the stacks of old rules and counters I will be replacing.

I'll buy it. I've been well trained by GW to purchase new sets of rules periodically.

Thumbs up

I preordered mine from 12-7 along with 4 Aircraft from Series 5.

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    I'll buy it. I've been well trained by GW to purchase new sets of rules periodically.
    That statement is so right and simultaneously so wrong and on so many levels that I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it!
    ... the abyss is staring back at me!

I'll buy it just to have the rules compiled and complete in one spot.

Not that I *understand* them all... but I'll have them.

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    That statement is so right and simultaneously so wrong and on so many levels that I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it!
    ... the abyss is staring back at me!

So go slay a dragon: I find that helps when this happens to me

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist,
    but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
    G.K.Chesterton
    Karl

looks like all the pre orders were sold :-( I will have to wait for round 2!

All I am going to say is does this mean they have actually listened to the groundswell of opinion. It certainly seems like it. They will be doing pegs next!
    Roll on Bloody April.
    Kyte.
    F. Off. Kyte, Doing pegs? What would be the reason for more pegs? Or are they different, longer? Would you like to see longer pegs? Thats one little thing I kinda wish was Differ., the models were higher up. I played once Aerodrome's WWI 1/72 w/ 5 other people.The planes were on telescopic radio antenna,on a Hex base 4"" w. Table cover Hexed out. It was really great. That led me to WoW/WoG, I like this smaller verion better, plus it was gully-raker's invite.

Fabric Flyer

seen after, Those are your initials not something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Flyer View Post
    [..]What would be the reason for more pegs?[..]
    You can never have too many pegs.

/Niclas

Extra pegs are for those of us with cats who always seem to want to fly the plane and end up crashing it instead, thereby snapping off a peg. Its also handy to have extra pegs to mount those non-Ares/Nexus models on those superb Aerodrome Accessories stands.

Another reason for pegs is for use with Aerodrome stands, devices, and cockpits. Also for use with the recently discussed plastic cases for storage and display.

Sadly, it appears that Alliance will not be carrying this item; it doesn't appear on either the open catalog nor the vendors one. So I'll be ordering on-line again.
    Karl

F. Off. Kyte, Doing pegs? What would be the reason for more pegs? Or are they different, longer? Would you like to see longer pegs? Thats one little thing I kinda wish was Differ., the models were higher up. I played once Aerodrome's WWI 1/72 w/ 5 other people.The planes were on telescopic radio antenna,on a Hex base 4"" w. Table cover Hexed out. It was really great. That led me to WoW/WoG, I like this smaller verion better, plus it was gully-raker's invite.

Fabric Flyer

Only just seen this Lou.
    Felt I must have offended you in some way?
    Let me buy you a few G&Ts in the mess to make up for whatever it was.
    Kyte.

I was gonig to pre-order from 12-7, but given their shipping costs to UK I think I'll wait to see if I can get them closer to home.

I agree with Al because of the same article I saw about storing minis. Never can hava to many pegs.

Mr. Kyte, I believe Lou may have been referring to your rank, not necessarily any disrespect intended. I could of course be wrong!

Doug

Fabric Flyer

I think it's very safe to say he meant "Flying Officer Kyte"!

I'm sure that you are both correct, and thank you for the concern.
    I was aware of the gaffe that Lou had made, but could not resist the chance to twit him about it.If he had not appologised I would probably not even have noticed it.
    Rob.

So, can we call you F. Off. for short from now on?

Only just seen this Lou.
    Kyte.
    It's very English, Rob. I love you

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I preordered mine from 12-7 along with 4 Aircraft from Series 5.
    Me too! Ordered 6 planes from series 5 and the new starter WoG box on 4/10/2012...still waiting. I'm very dissatisfied with ARES!

I'm sure that you are both correct, and thank you for the concern.
    I was aware of the gaffe that Lou had made, but could not resist the chance to twit him about it.If he had not appologised I would probably not even have noticed it.
    Rob.
    Not quite as bad as the headline from a tabloid trying to force out a man who claimed to be a priest when he wasn't:

"WE TELL BOGUS BISHOP: GO UNFROCK YOURSELF!"

Only just seen this Lou.
    Kyte.
    F.O. Kyte, I just seen this myself. No, not offended at all.I hope your Not. It really meant your initials.
    Have a good one.

Fabric Flyer

No problem Lou.
    I knew what you had done as soon as I read your post. Just thought I would have a bit of a joke with you.
    After all we are all F. Offs. unless we are groundcrew. I know the people waiting for series five are.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    So, can we call you F. Off. for short from now on?
    Do you remember how to peel spuds Squadron Leader?
    Kyte.

No problem Lou.
    I knew what you had done as soon as I read your post. Just thought I would have a bit of a joke with you.
    After all we are all F. Offs. unless we are groundcrew. I know the people waiting for series five are.
    Rob.
    F.O. Kyte, Yes, We are all Flying Officers, Thank you. And to the series Five

Fabric Flyer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast