Ares Games

Thread: Zeppelin Dawn A - Winter War Jan, 2012

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Default Zeppelin Dawn A - Winter War Jan, 2012

The scenario:

It’s late June, 1917, and the German Zeppelin L11 is trying to make it home from a night raid over England. Delays in launch, strong headwinds, and mechanical problems have put the Zeppelin far behind schedule. As dawn breaks, the crew is desperately trying to make it back across the lines as the Dawn Patrols of both sides flock to the fight. Will the L11 make it home?

6 British (mostly) aircraft trying to bring the Zep down, and 2 Germans trying to defend it (plus the Zeppelin on auto-pilot). This game actually had 9 payers since someone else’s game got cancelled at the last minute, so she joined this one as a third German pilot.

The Zep runs on auto-pilot as per the Airship Attack rules posted here at the Aerodrom.

Aircraft choices for the Brits (mostly): 4 Camels, 2 SE 5a.s 1 each of the two British 2 seaters, and one Nieuport 17 (French flown by an American pilot).

German choices were: 2 Pfalzs, 1 Albatross DIII, and 2 Dr. Is.

As planes go down, players pick a new one from those not yet selected.

The Brits (mostly) went with the two 2 seaters, 2 camels, an SE 5a, and the Nieuport.

The Germans went with the Pfalz's and the Albatross to try and close with the enemy as quickly as possible.

Pretty much all the pilots were new to the front, with only a couple having had any prior combat experience at all (almost all new players).

The initial set up:

Dawn breaks over the Western Front...

A pic with better lighting:

The action started right away, and with the first shot of the game, one of the Brits (mostly) took out the tail gunner on the Zep. But as the Brits (mostly) closed in, the inexperience in the cockpit showed, as most miscalculated the speeds of their aircraft and a gagle formed under the tail of the Zep:

As the Brits (mostly) sorted themselves out, two of the Germans closed to contact on the port side of the Zeppelin:

At about this time, the Zep pulled a Left Turn, putting all the attackers completely out of place for their carefully planned maneuvers, so they chose to concentrate on the German Scouts amongst them:

With some success:

And the hunters became the hunted. As the German scouts tried to catch up to the Brits scooting under the Zep, one of the two seaters attempted to chase them down:

While all this was going on one of the 2 seaters decided to come around the nose of the Zep, catching fire from the front gondola and forward MG pit...

and going down:

The smoking Albatross decided to continue chasing the enemy scouts and duck to the other side of the Zeppelin while the Pfalz pilot pulled an Immelmann:

But the brave German paid for his courage, catching on fire, and then taking a shot from the rear gunner on the 2 seater:

Emerging on the other side of the Zep, the Albatross pilot also was a little too brave for his own good also... Ending up in a tough spot... and going down:

Meanwhile, off the nose of the Zeppelin, the SE 5a had shot well past all the other aircraft and came around for another pass, despite flames shooting from its engine and a Pfalz bearing down on it:

As the SE 5 banked away after his pass, the Zep set the it on fire again.

And while trying to come in for another shot the SE 5 went down in flames:

At this point, the Zep turned back to the left and started heading straight to the east again. And with the other two German planes down, the Pfalz on the right side of the Zep suddenly had a lot of company:

Then one of the Camels came in for another run, while the last Pfalz lined up for the perfect shot on the Nieuport, unfortunately, guns jammed, and two Camels chasing it:

But, unfortunately for the Nieuport, the Zeps guns weren't Jammed. A new SE 5a arrived just in time to see it go down:

The remaining twoseater tried to slip by the nose of the Zep, and the gunners took out the rear gunner on the wounded bird just before two Dr. I's joined the fight for the Germans:

The Dr Is took up a tight formation, as they assessed the situation.

Slowly circling trying to figure out the best way to help the Zep:

Then, the Dr. I's broke formation, one going after the wounded twoseater:

(just to note, this pic was taken by someone else... don't want to take credit for someone else's work)

Bringing it down:

The Zeppelin turned to the left again, and the other Dr I joined the scrum on the port side. The Brits (mostly) found themselves far out of position again, and came around for another pass at Zep:

One of the Camels gave up the chase on the Pfalz as it dodged to the other side of the Zep, and decided to strafe the L11 instead, but was hit by several bursts from the Zep’s gunners, and went down:

The brave Pfalz pilot blocked the Camels' path to the Zep, but paid a heavy price, as the Dr I tried to distract the SE 5a with a head on attack:

And that is where things had to finish up, as the 4 hour time slot ended... The Zep had taken a fair amount of damage, but not as much as I had anticipated at this point.

I'll post my reflections on how the rules worked and what I needed to adjust in a follow on post soon I hope.
    Last edited by Ranger; 02-28-2012 at 20:15.

WOW!

Great report - nice pictures.

Was amzaing to read and view.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Outstanding blow by blow narrative. I ran a very similar scenario several weeks ago, with similar results. In mine, it took a long time before the damage to the Zep resulted in a fire. Once started though, it spelled the inevitable doom of the craft, and just as it reached safety (the end of the table) the fires began to become catastrophic.

Thumbs up

Excellent report & pics there, Ranger.
    The Allies did seem a bit outnumbered with almost as many German Fighters as Allies Plus the Zep!

Nice AAR. Was this at a Con some place?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Yes, that was at our local Central Illinois con in Champaign. A few people from Chicago come down for it, but it is mostly regional folks. WoW/G was well represented this year. I did this scenario twice, and Phil Hall did a Pearl Harbor game. There were also a couple of other "learning" games run that I saw. Unfortunately, they were during games I was playing in, and all of the games I was in ran the entire length of their time slot, so no chance to go over and talk to the people running the other Wings of Glory stuff.
    Last edited by Ranger; 02-06-2012 at 08:27.

Very nice pictures and report. Enjoyed reading it

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

I will keep polishing up the battle report. Hated to post something that wasn't really finished, but I knew if I didn't get it up by this weekend, it would have fallen as a casualty to time.

BTW, I have been remis on some thank you's too.

First to Clipper for making the Zeppelin. It is an amaizing beast and drew quite a bit of attention at the con.

And next to everyone for the kudos and rep you've sent my way. It is very much appriciated.
    Last edited by Ranger; 02-06-2012 at 13:06.

An excellent AAR! Almost felt like I was there!

Nice write up and pictures. Man I wish I lived closer to an active WoW community!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    Outstanding blow by blow narrative. I ran a very similar scenario several weeks ago, with similar results. In mine, it took a long time before the damage to the Zep resulted in a fire. Once started though, it spelled the inevitable doom of the craft, and just as it reached safety (the end of the table) the fires began to become catastrophic.
    Were you using the Airship Attack rules, or your own home brew?

A very impressive AAR. Rob. The clear and concise action report interspersed with pictures gave a very good impression of exactly what was transpiring in the scenario.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob , where are your smoke and fire markers from ,,they look really good.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by billingspike View Post
    Rob , where are your smoke and fire markers from ,,they look really good.
    They are fancy pipe cleaners from craft stores. They come with 4 wide sections per pipe cleaner, and cost less than $1 for a bag of 12. You just need some pliers to clip them and bend the narrow parts at the tips tight so they stay when you slide them on (though I discovered running this game that you can also just slip them between the wings without hooking them on anything and they stay just fine). I actually have white ones too, but I've never gotten around to using them. I got the some at Michaels, and the others at Hobby Lobby.

Excellent battle report with narrative and pics! Thank you for taking the time to post

Great report! Love the smoke and flame markers, I especially love the Zeppelin shadow on the ground below . . . yes I am a bit off.

Clipper

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Hey Clipper. Good to see you. Your beast did well!

I've updated the ARR again. Got another pic in the right place and added a couple more.

The one that I didn't take it probably the best of the lot, as it was taken from a ways back from the table, and gives a good feel for the full scope of the game. Phil Hall found it posted at this guy's blog:

http://mysteriousbill.weebly.com/

Yes you are right Rob. Those are good shots, but I like the more intimate close up shots that you took better.
    Rob.

Nicely Done ! looks like a lot of fun & some cracking photos there.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Great to see "Operation Zeppelin Overcast" is beginning to take over the world! The day will come when anyone who looks up will see not the sun, but the sky filled with Zeppelins! Maniacal laughter breaks into a full respiratory spasms . . . Clipper

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Ok, I made one final pass through to add some details and clean up the writing a little.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback and rep points.

I've been down with a really nasty chest thing for a while, so I am hopelessly late on getting my scenario notes typed up and posted. But I will do that soon.

After seeing the pics from the cliffs of dover game with the flight stands air brushed out, and reading about how the Crimson Skies cross over is developing here, I am thinking that a Crimson Skies game like this off the East or West coast might be a fun idea. Of course, we would have to convince Clipper to make some Crimson Skies Zeppelins for that to work.

Sorry to hear you have been unwell Rob. Hope you are now feeling much better. I lookforward to reading your notes, but don't bust a gut getting them done. Make sure you are properly better and well rested. These chest things have a nasty habit of leaving you quite weak for some time if you overdo it.
    Rob.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the great AAR and pics. I'm copying this and going to use your scenario in our Vul-Con WoW(G) tournament, First Round, later today. We'll post pics, either Clipper1801 or me.

Ranger,Very Awesome and fun to look at.Must have been fun to play! What material did you use for fire & smoke? Whatever it is, I like it. Thanks.

Fabric Flyer

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Yes, it was a lot of fun (a lot of work too, managing 9 players and running the Zep on autopilot). It was the first convention game I've ever run, and luckily I had an old hand sitting directly to my right who helped me keep things on track while I learned the art of running a big game with new players.

The fire and smoke markers are just fancy pipe cleaners that come with with wide and narrow sections. Just use some pliars to clip them at the base of the wide part, and then bend the narrow part over so you can hook them on a wing or landing gear. You can find them at pretty much any craft store (I got mine at Hobby Lobby and another one of the big chain craft stores).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Yes, it was a lot of fun (a lot of work too, managing 9 players and running the Zep on autopilot). It was the first convention game I've ever run, and luckily I had an old hand sitting directly to my right who helped me keep things on track while I learned the art of running a big game with new players.

The fire and smoke markers are just fancy pipe cleaners that come with with wide and narrow sections. Just use some pliars to clip them at the base of the wide part, and then bend the narrow part over so you can hook them on a wing or landing gear. You can find them at pretty much any craft store (I got mine at Hobby Lobby and another one of the big chain craft stores).
    Hi Ranger, I'll bet that was a lot of fun. I like playing a game w/ a lot of people. About a month ago at this gaming store I go to, ran one of my wargames. Including my self there was 9 also. The game was a 756 figure 'Samurai Era' battle, it was great fun for everyone. Biggest game I ever played in.
    I will have to look for those pipe cleaners, I like the look. Thanks for sharing that.

Fabric Flyer