Ares Games

Thread: Gaming for a Cure Event

Default Gaming for a Cure Event

I am a member of a group of gamers in Traverse City Michigan (U.S.A.) that has sponsered a gaming event for the last 4 years called Gaming for a Cure.

The short version of the story is that it is a gaming event set up to do two things. First to raise money for cancer research, and second to promote all types of gaming as family friendly activites.

On Saturday Feb. 20, we will be hosting our 2nd Annual Winter Game Festival.
    This is a 6 hour event that we use to generate money to purchase the food and printing for our 12 hour event in July. There will be plenty of schedualed gaming as well as lots of open tables so you can try out new games, and play old favorites.

Our local Wings of War League will be sponsering an all day fly. So if you would like to attend and fly with us, we would welcome the challenge! Bring along your own planes or use ours, and by all means bring any other games you want to play with you!

If you would like more information about our organization, or our events check out our website www.gamingforacure.webs.com or PM me here.

LO!

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    Very cool idea!
    Thanks! I wish it were mine. I've only been involved the last 2 years. It is one of those slap your forehead things while you say, "Now why didn't anyone think of this before!"

We have had many comments to the effect that no one has ever come up with a better reason to game. I have even seen some of the invisable spouses who turn their collective noses up at these activites actually show up to support this. We really push the Family Activity agenda and have had good success, last year we had several tables with people playing things like Monopoly, Apples to Apples, and even Stratego. All in all we enjoy ourselves, promote gaming to the general public, and raise a few dollars for the cause, all good things.
    Last edited by Charlie3; 01-22-2010 at 09:43.

peppermeister

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Unfortunately, it would be a 7 hour drive...

Post some pictures to let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by peppermeister View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun!

Unfortunately, it would be a 7 hour drive...

Post some pictures to let us know how it goes!
    Only 7? You know if Lake Michigan freezes you could drive straight across from Greenbay to Frankfort Mi where the railroad ferry used to cross and likely do the trip in 4 hours, I will post some pictures both here and at our gaming for a cure website Maybe we can talk you into driving around in July?

Bruno Stachel

Wish you well on your cause and thanks for the invite. I don't think the wife would sanction an 8 hour round trip whilst being stuck with 3 little ones. I'd love to see your pics too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Stachel View Post
    Wish you well on your cause and thanks for the invite. I don't think the wife would sanction an 8 hour round trip whilst being stuck with 3 little ones. I'd love to see your pics too!
    For those of you thinking the same thing...

Check the internet (we are trying to add a link to the local visitors center website to our Gaming for a Cure site) Traverse City has plenty to offer the family for a weekend trip...5 ski resorts with in 25 min. drive, (2 within 5 mins. of the college) free cross contry ski areas, and snowshoeing trails, plenty of specialty store shopping downtown and a fair sized mall, A movie house that shows .25 matinees on weekends (yes only a Quarter!) a childrens museum, 2 hotels with indoor water parks, and plenty of ice fishing! We also have some of the best non-franchised resturants in the state.

If all else fails pawn the little ones off on the relatives and just bring your spouse...this game day is only noon to 6pm...plenty of couple time available!
    You may even decide to come back in July for the 12 hour event.

Just a reminder that the Gaming for a Cure winter event is comming up fast. Feb. 20 is the day! Hope you can join us!

Similar Missions

1. What size gaming area do you use to play.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 10-03-2022, 10:55
  2. List your store/gaming group
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 03:24
  3. Wings of War event? What do you expect?
    By Vigfus in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 08:53
  4. Anyone know of a gaming store in Vancouver Island?
    By Greywolf in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 02:29
  5. Gaming Mats
    By usmc1855 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 14:03