Ares Games
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Balloon Busters set

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ken
    Sorties Flown

Those attitude cards look like expanded versions of the of the one you can cut out from the cardboard boosters packaging.

That little altitude card is very handy, you don't need to check the climbing rates any more from the rule booklet.

The list of contents are as follows

1 balloon model
    1 nieuport 16 airplane model
    20 airplane cards
    2 altitude cards
    8 damage cards
    3 machine gun cards
    1 card with altitude table front/back
    21 counters/markers
    1 two-sided balloon card

Hence my question where are the two altitude cards and ahat are they.

John B

It's probably referring to the climb and dive cards for the Nieuport. Easy way to check: count the cards in the R-Deck.

No its nothing to do with the climb and dive cards.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The list of contents are as follows

1 balloon model
    20 airplane cards
    2 altitude cards
    8 damage cards
    3 machine gun cards
    21 counters/markers
    1 two-sided balloon card

Hence my question where are the two altitude cards and ahat are they.

John B

The altitude cards I posted above are obviously the "1 card with altitude table front/back" . Each Balloon did however come with Four airplane cards, vice two. (they are provided below).

So.... with everything else accounted for, I am clueless as to what the "2 altitude cards" are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airplane Cards0001.jpg  
    Last edited by usmc1855; 03-20-2010 at 06:16.

The more I look at things, these:

2 altitude cards

Must be the two separate airplane (pilot) cads that are supposed to be with the set. One for each of the two pilots represented by the miniature.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    The more I look at things, these:

2 altitude cards

Must be the two separate airplane (pilot) cads that are supposed to be with the set. One for each of the two pilots represented by the miniature.
    Actually, I think the pilot cards are included in the 20 "airplane" cards, and these are the climb and dive cards. But really, that's 6 of one, half-dosen the other...

3 Straight
    3 Left Turn
    3 Right Turn
    3 Left Sideslip
    3 Right Sideslip
    2 Stall
    1 Immelman

18 cards

That means either the airplane cards or the climb/dive cards were included in the 20 "airplane" cards, but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Actually, I think the pilot cards are included in the 20 "airplane" cards, and these are the climb and dive cards. But really, that's 6 of one, half-dosen the other...

3 Straight
    3 Left Turn
    3 Right Turn
    3 Left Sideslip
    3 Right Sideslip
    2 Stall
    1 Immelman

18 cards

That means either the airplane cards or the climb/dive cards were included in the 20 "airplane" cards, but not the other.
    Mine came with those 18 listed above, and the 1 Climb Card and the 1 Dive Card (the ones with the orange line leading to the black arrow. The climb card has the short orange line, the dive has the long orange line).

With these two, it makes 20 Maneuver cards.

These are the 20 which came with each of my Balloons:

3 Straight
    3 Left Turn
    3 Right Turn
    3 Left Sideslip
    3 Right Sideslip
    2 Stall
    1 Immelman
    1 Climb
    1 Dive

20 Cards

The cards that came in my boxes:

20 Maneuver Cards (R Deck-as listed above)
    8 Damage Cards (D Damage deck)
    3 Machine Gun Cards
    4 Pilot Cards (2x Brown Planes, 2x Camouflaged Planes)

and of course, these other items:

1 balloon model
    21 counters/markers
    1 two-sided balloon card
    1 card containing the stickers for the national markings for the Balloon
    1 base for he plane, along with four short elevation pegs
    1 base for the balloon along with 1 longer elevation peg and four short elevation pegs.
    ----------------------------------

Since the official contents list the cards belonging in the box as:

1 balloon model
    20 airplane cards
    2 altitude cards
    8 damage cards
    3 machine gun cards

21 counters/markers
    1 two-sided balloon card

But failed to list the 2x Pilot Cards for each plane, I'm rather confident that what is listed as 2 altitude cards should be printed as 2 Pilot Cards.

But somehow I ended up with pilot cards for all four versions of the Nieuport 16 in both of my boxes, vice the two which matched the specific paint scheme.

Default Balloon Busters have arrived in Brisbane, Australia

Attention Brisbane based gamers,

I picked up my first two balloon busters boxed sets today from Fastbreak Sports at Nundah, about 30 seconds after they were unloaded off the truck. Decals have now been applied and they look fantastic!

I think I will have to go back for another two.

Cheers,

Carl.

I too am considering adding another set...or even 2 more sets...to the 2 balloons I picked up. I think they would look really great set up as a barrage line. They are a bit pricey though. Had to sneak these babies into the house so my flying partner, a.k.a. my wife, wouldn't see them. I can always say later that "...oh, I've had these for some time"...yeah, like about 48 hours?...

fisihh

Some Pictures from Balloons in Action

Nice to see some balloons in action. Do you guys always leave the used maneuver cards out on the table?

Also, my group has always placed the balloons sideways "to the lines" when we play... Historically, were they deployed pointing towards the enemy side?

fisihh

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Nice to see some balloons in action. Do you guys always leave the used maneuver cards out on the table?
    Only the 3 cards in the round. Somtimes its better to handle collisions

Default Cover story

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    I too am considering adding another set...or even 2 more sets...to the 2 balloons I picked up. I think they would look really great set up as a barrage line. They are a bit pricey though. Had to sneak these babies into the house so my flying partner, a.k.a. my wife, wouldn't see them. I can always say later that "...oh, I've had these for some time"...yeah, like about 48 hours?...
    My best mate and I have a well rehearsed routine we have used since we were in high school together.

If one of us is found to be in possession of new and expensive gaming items we state to our mothers/girlfriends/wives that Glenn/Carl bought it and he loaned it to me so I could have a go.

It has worked a charm for a quarter of a century!

Cheers,

Carl.

Name
    Thomas
    Sorties Flown

Like us, we also leave the cards on the table in the actual round. Only a German behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by fisihh View Post
    Only the 3 cards in the round. Somtimes its better to handle collisions

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Historically, were they deployed pointing towards the enemy side?
    I could be wrong here, but my assumption is that they were historically deployed pointing into the wind, much like a boat is always anchored facing into the wind. It's less about tactics and more about physical laws.

Though I do wonder how they kept barrages from tearing apart when the wind shifted...

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Though I do wonder how they kept barrages from tearing apart when the wind shifted...
    Question answered; the barrage was well under the balloons.

Of course now I feel that the Balloon Barrage rules should only destroy airplanes that fly between balloons at a lower altitude than the balloons, not at the same altitude as them.
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 03-31-2010 at 06:50.

Name
    Thomas
    Sorties Flown

I get my 2 Sets of Balloon Buster today, together with 4 more minis.

In my Sets the mini of the aircraft do not match the EAN-Code of the box, will say de Guilbert´s plane was in the Price box and wise versa..... I do not know but maby there german distrubuter clued the wrong EAN to the Boxes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ookami View Post
    In my Sets the mini of the aircraft do not match the EAN-Code of the box,
    Andrea already gave us a heads-up about this:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4785789#4785789

Name
    Thomas
    Sorties Flown

Okay, thanks for the link.

EthanAnderson

Default damage deck

how come it comes with D damage deck and also how can i get B damage deck without buying the other starter set can i order it by its self. sorry for the noob question

Quote Originally Posted by EthanAnderson View Post
    how come it comes with D damage deck and also how can i get B damage deck without buying the other starter set can i order it by its self. sorry for the noob question
    The Nieuport 16s have rockets - they look like giant bottle rockets tied to the wing struts - that use the D damage deck.

As for the B damage deck, you can get it in Watch Your Back or Flight of the Giants box sets, or download a printable copy of the deck from the files section of this site here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=342

Unfortunately, you can't order it seperately.

Edit: There is also a B deck in the new Revised Deluxe Edition.
    Last edited by tuladin; 12-02-2010 at 22:06.

EthanAnderson

thanks man i will def. print them off

Default from pa

we have one of balloon set's so far thar fun to play with and add more to the game!!

Anybody out there actually apply their decals to these things yet? Andrea's response was a little confusing...I guess what I was looking for is: yellow is for allies and brown is for (mostly) central powers...I think that's right???

Anybody out there actually apply their decals to these things yet? Andrea's response was a little confusing...I guess what I was looking for is: yellow is for allies and brown is for (mostly) central powers...I think that's right???
    Jim the description at fantasyflightgames.com seems to support that as well... but I also got the impression that in both sets the Nieuport is Allied?
    I have the brown one on order... I guess I am going to have to buy both eventually before they vanish!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I haven't applied the decals and I don't intend to. That way I can use the balloons on ether side with no confusion.

The Nieuports are both Entente - French to be exact. The one that comes with the brown balloon is Lafayette Escadrille - Americans flying for France.

I have three balloons: one brown balloon with Iron Crosses, one yellow balloon with British roundels, and the third sausage is brown and without decals, available for both sides. I play quite seldom with balloons, but they are soo niice.

Sorry to add to the discussion so late. I finally secured the balloons after putting it off for so long. I was suprised to see the R deck since the planes are Neiports. Is this the only set that contains an R deck? I believe the other Neiports are "I" deck. I did not analyze them yet..is the a significant difference? I do not recall the R deck in Burning Drachens, but I mostly play with the Minis.

TIA,

Aaron

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    Sorry to add to the discussion so late. I finally secured the balloons after putting it off for so long. I was suprised to see the R deck since the planes are Neiports. Is this the only set that contains an R deck? I believe the other Neiports are "I" deck. I did not analyze them yet..is the a significant difference? I do not recall the R deck in Burning Drachens, but I mostly play with the Minis.

TIA,

Aaron
    Since I don`t have any of the `Balloon Busters` sets I tend to just use the Burning Drachens cards for balloon scenarios and yes, these sets appear to be the only place you can get the `R` deck or info for the Neiuport 16.
    BD covers the Nieuport 17 and 23, both of which use the `I` Deck, the Nieuport 11 comes with `Watch your Back` and uses the `E` Deck.
    Both decks have exactly the same number and types of maneuver but the `I` Deck is longer/faster.
    I don`t have the `R` deck to compare with either but suspect that it should be very similar.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 08-31-2011 at 03:01.

Basically, all the Nieuport cards we printed either use the I deck (as the Nieuport 17 and 23) if they are quicker, or the E deck (as the Nieuport 11 and 21) if they are slower. They keep thye same manouvrability but with shorter arrows for the E deck because of the lesser speed. But the Nieuport 16 was both slow as a 11 and less manouvrable than it, so the R deck is somehow a kind of an E deck slightly less agile.

Sorry, I have been confusing since I was confused myself! The decals have been packaged in a different way from the one I planned. You can use both for both sides I'd say, as tuladin wisely does. Brown was used by French and Germans alike, yellow by Austrians and USA and probably Russia - and I believe that the same country used different colors anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    The Nieuports are both Entente - French to be exact. The one that comes with the brown balloon is Lafayette Escadrille - Americans flying for France.
    Very true, but with a plane card to fly it as LUFBERY (American) or THENAULT (French - the Escadrille commander, since pilots were from USA but commanders from France). The other plane has cards for two different pilots, both French.
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 08-31-2011 at 03:05.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Similar Missions

1. WGS: WWII Deluxe Set to be released in the US
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 15:34