Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Workbench

Default The Workbench

I've recently started painting more of my planes and thought I'd take a shot of the workbench to share with you guys and gals.

You can see my profile guides on the wall that I use to paint by. If you look closely, you can see that same plane on it's painting stick in the multi-clip tool thing. You can also that the rest of the planes are hidden under the paper towel, so you will have to wait and see what those are!

Now, I've shown you mine, now you gotta show me yours!

Very nice Herr Oberst - my work bench is a piece of board that moves around the house with me & I have a toolbox full of paints, glues etc - I would photo it but it has no planes on it at the moment !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I am rumoured to have a workbench, but it is difficult to find with all the crap piled on top of it.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Here is mine. I converted a built in wardrobe by inserting an old study desk (narrowed it with my circular saw) and building a rack for the plastic parts boxes on the left. I can shut the doors and the munchkins can't get in and hurt themselves on sharp/poisonous/chokable stuff.

Most of my stuff there is Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins) or 40K (Marines, Sisters of Battle or Orks) with some 1/72 aircraft happening too. Yes, the work surface is perpetually messy

Dave

Dave, that's a good idea. I might have to do that once I buy my pretty enclosed shelving to store all the Aerodrome Accessories stock. Right now all that stuff takes up my office closet and some shelves in the office proper.

Ok ...my wife will kill me if she ever finds out I made this public...

It's the only place in the entire house that isn't Spic & Span:embarass:. But what can I say? I am chaotic

But here's the place where I brew my magic

Last edited by Bluedevil; 01-24-2012 at 03:34.

Umm, you have to attach or upload the image, not just link to where it is on your computer. lol

Ok I rectified that...

Keith, I like those lights. Where did you get them?

John, I got them at my local Joann Fabrics store. They are OttLite 18w Table Lamps.

OttlLite makes High Def lights designed to cut down on glare and show true colors. They are designed for the hobbyist in mind. They are not cheap, but Joann Fabrics always has them on sale for about 50% off. Right now they have some on sale for more then that! I'm very tempted to pic up one of these:

It has the light, a clip and a magnifying glass on on the same stand! My only concern is that the arms they are on will not reach from the side of my desk to the center of my work area. That one is normally $270, but is on sale right now for $100.

Heh, I know where I'm going after work today!

Smile

Oh you boys are spoilt!
    My "workbench" is the Dining Table which gets covered by a plastic mat, then an old towel, cutting board, then a Halogen Reading lamp for extra light. I suppose it helps that I am a widower & dont have a lady to keep onside.
    Any extra "hard stuff" like sawing is carried out in my big Double/Double Garage which houses my 4 wheel Drive & 6 x 4 Cities of Death Games table.

Colbatman has a whole room as his workbench!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Now, I've shown you mine, now you gotta show me yours!
    O.k., but where do you really do your painting? That's way to clutter free to have produced your work.
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 01-24-2012 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Oh you boys are spoilt!
    My "workbench" is the Dining Table which gets covered by a plastic mat, then an old towel, cutting board, then a Halogen Reading lamp for extra light. I suppose it helps that I am a widower & dont have a lady to keep onside.
    Any extra "hard stuff" like sawing is carried out in my big Double/Double Garage which houses my 4 wheel Drive & 6 x 4 Cities of Death Games table.

Colbatman has a whole room as his workbench!

And now who is spoiled!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    O.k., but where do you really do your painting? That's way to clutter free to have produced your work.
    Honest Gov, that is were I do my painting. It has to stay clean as I have the little wingman that loves to get into his da-da's planes! It also helps that I very rarely work on more then one at a time and I do not have any other painting hobbies at this time.

I don't feel so bad now after seeing all of those.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1962.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	32494
    I'm only working on like three things at one time.

The workshop

Name:	DSC_1161.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	32531

The paintshop.

Name:	DSC_1160.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	32530

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Awesome work areas. Mine is the coffee table in the living room.

Well Rob, the paint shop might not be top shelf, but the workshop more then makes up for it!

Here is my work bench compared with Heer Oberst's it is a junk yard of various uncompleted projects. In the picture you will find 10mm Anglo-Saxon fryd and 10mm WW2 Belgium's, 15mm Pony Wars 10 and 15mm buildings, 1/144 aircrew 1/144 various shapeways planes and other stuff I just cannot find at the moment.

I think the secret to mine staying so clean and organized is keeping the projects down to one or two of the same type at a time. It is also a huge help that my hobby area is in the office, which is at the front of the house and the wife would be none to pleased if I let it get messy!

Here's mine:

A tidy desk = a tidy mind? an "interesting" concept

Interesting in deed... what are all the little blue boxes and that looks like a good size ship your cat is inspecting!

After seeing workbench of Keith, Cris and the other guys, I bought a can of gasoline to order my workbench in my garage... But Alastair and David gave me the awareness of belonging to an elite group of people I do not know how to define .. .. (only Disordered or misunderstood geniuses?)
    Thank you my friends do not make me feel alone in this universe ...
    Today is the day to bring some order into it.

Enrico

P.S: Rob's Laboratory = Unreachable dream of my life ......

Interesting in deed... what are all the little blue boxes and that looks like a good size ship your cat is inspecting!
    The blue boxes are Revell acrylic paints. the ship is a 1/450 scale frigate that I'm working on as part of my "grand scale" Sails of Glory project.

That has to be the most realistic model of a cat Ive ever seen.

Certainly an interesting set of work benches from the wildly chaotic to the ultra neat.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Here's mine:

Nice paint job on the cat Dave.
    Rob.

I was trying for smart, straight black stripes but she just kept on moving

I was trying for smart, straight black stripes but she just kept on moving
    Well I like her as she is in camo Dave.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice paint job on the cat Dave.
    Rob.
    Cat?, cat?

I thought it was David's prototype Zeppelin in a rather different Camo scheme.

Letting a pet, camouflaged or not, loose on the workbench could lead to a catastrophe!

Dave

Here's mine:
    You and I will never know.
    Your workbench is almost as bad as mine.

Ken

Finally tidied up so you could see the bench. Fortunately no cat. lol

I thought it was David's prototype Zeppelin in a rather different Camo scheme
    Funny you should mention that. Laura (my daughter, and a WoW fan, having shot down Daddy on a number of occasions) has decided that she would like another personalised aircraft to go with her RNAS Camel and her pink Dr.1, and that new aircraft will be a Siemens Schuckert D.IV, painted in a camo scheme based on the cat! (unless she changes her mind and wants a scheme based on Cynder, her pet bull python!)

Unhappy My hobby buld area!

I will now submit a post cat catastrophe shot. It is never clean at the best of times, but my on little darling cat chased across mine an hour ago! She just tried for daily double by try to play with the camera strap!!!!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_6108.jpg  

Interesting contrast in art you and the Oberst have hanging over your work areas!

Smile

Bobby!

That is not "Art" that is a calender from work! If you look in the lower part you will see one of the many quality products we make!!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    That is not "Art" that is a calender from work! If you look in the lower part you will see one of the many quality products we make!!Rich
    Oh I see. Sorry for the mistake! How is the nylons business going?

Bobby!
    You still have not looked far enough down in the picture yet. I realize it may be difficult to concentrate that low on the image! Around the holidays i give these out to all my friends, i tell their wives and girlfriends that they are an advertising tool!

Rich

I would never have taken you for a shoe salesman.

I think he's referring to the rocks guys, must be a geologist or mineral exporter

I will now submit a post cat catastrophe shot. It is never clean at the best of times, but my on little darling cat chased across mine an hour ago! She just tried for daily double by try to play with the camera strap!!!!

Rich
    Did she knock something over then Rich. It's very hard to tell.
    Rob.

Lightbulb

I will attempt this again! She reclining on a pile of logs! She`s a lumberjack and she`s OK. What do lumberjacks use to cut down trees?

Rich

P.S. Now you need to figure out bar she hangs out in!

A very nice "chainsaw".....

Enrico

Enrico!

Bravo! You have observed, what others have overlooked! I have no idea what they have been looking at?

Rich

She reclining on a pile of logs! She`s a lumberjack and she`s OK. What do lumberjacks use to cut down trees?
    Oh yeah, I've heard of her:

A blonde traveled to Canada to seek her fortune as a lumberjack. She met a foreman of a logging organization who offered to give her a job.

"Now, I hope you realize we expect you to cut down at least 100 trees a day," the foreman told her.

The blonde woman didn't see this as a problem, so she went out with the Chainsaw and did her best.

She came back drenched in sweat.

"Geez lady, how many trees did you cut down?" asked the foreman. "6!" she replied.

"What!? You have to do beter than that. Get up earlier tommorow!"

So she did. Out she went with the chainsaw, she came back that night exhausted.

"How many this time?" asked the foreman.

"12!" she said.

The foreman says, "That does it. I'm coming out there with you tommorow morning!"

The next morning, the foreman reaches the first tree and says, "This is how to cut down trees really quickly."

He pulls the rope on the chainsaw and it gives off a loud BRRRRRRUUUMMM.

He notices the blonde is looking at him frantically, so he asks her what's wrong.

She replies, "What the hell is that god-awful noise?!"

I will attempt this again! She reclining on a pile of logs! She`s a lumberjack and she`s OK. What do lumberjacks use to cut down trees?

Rich

P.S. Now you need to figure out bar she hangs out in!
    Well Rich she certainly puts on girlies' clothing. That much is obvious even with my eyesight.
    Rob.

Smile

Rob!

Yes your correct! She is a sight even for sore eyes! I buy 20 calendars each year before Christmas, i have two left this year!

Rich

Painting Station:

Cutting/Decal Station:

Organization is key...

Come on Todd. You aren't trying to kid us that you actually work there. It's far too tidy.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Painting Station:
    Organization is key...
    Oh dear...

*looks at own assembly/converting/painting/decaling desk, struggles to identify actual desk surface...*

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast