Ares Games

Thread: Spinning!

Exclamation Spinning!

No doubt some of you will remember a thread down in the Rules Query/House Rules sections regarding the possibility of introducing a "Spin" card into the Game.

There were some interesting thoughts from forum members about the number & types of Aircraft that could be safely spun out of combat danger.

I came across this very interesting quote in an article by Mark Lax the president of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians in the 2011 Annual '14-'18 Journal.
    The article is a 3 parter called "the Skies over Mesopotamia" & covers both the ground war but more particulary the Air War.

The quote is as follows:
    "Meanwhile the third EA had confined his attention to the two RE8's piloted by Capt F.L.Robinson MC with 2nd Ltn W.R. McMenan (observer) & Capt H.G. ffiske (sic) who had with him an aerial gunner.
    The enemy pilot proved himself possessed of a highly offensive spirit. Twice hecomfitable established himself beneath the tail of Capt ffiske's machine & each time was thrown off before he could get in a burst of fire.
    Capt ffisk's only means of escape was to SPIN (my capitals!) which he did with complete success.
    The EA kept up a furious attack for 30 minutes, when he dived steeply & was last observed very near the ground on the right side of the Jebel Hamrins"

The quote is from the Official History of the Campaign.

So even an RE 8, which was a very stable aircraft, could be spun to safety by an experienced pilot!.

Nice find Barry - have a look at the footage in my Looking for the Mongoose thread just below - there is film of an aircraft doing some awesome moves including a spin in amongst the other bits and pieces. The section is towards the end & entitled 'Evolutions Daring But Necessary To Avoid Gunfire' which says it all really !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    So even an RE 8, which was a very stable aircraft, could be spun to safety by an experienced pilot!.
    Oh, any airplane can be spun -- the question is: Can it be *recovered* afterward? (I'm not surprised the RE8 could be spun safely -- it could barely maneuver to start with.)

Also, I'm noting those last four words: "by an experienced pilot". As opposed to the usual flight crew of a British unit.... :P

And I tripped over this quote: "Never go into a spin because he can dive down the centre of the spin. You can get into a spiral - you can side-slip if you like - you give yourself opposite rudder and slip down careful that you don't get into a spin."

[ http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/treacy.htm ]

So....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Oh, any airplane can be spun -- the question is: Can it be *recovered* afterward? (I'm not surprised the RE8 could be spun safely -- it could barely maneuver to start with.)

Also, I'm noting those last four words: "by an experienced pilot". As opposed to the usual flight crew of a British unit.... :P

And I tripped over this quote: "Never go into a spin because he can dive down the centre of the spin. You can get into a spiral - you can side-slip if you like - you give yourself opposite rudder and slip down careful that you don't get into a spin."

[ http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/treacy.htm ]

So....
    Yes Chris I agree. Many inexperienced pilots died as the result of a spin as originally they were never taugh how to recover & were in fact told to avoid a spin.

Fortunately as the War progressed & advanced Fighter Schools were introduced all pilots were taught how to enter a spin & recover from it. This I am sure saved many, many lives.

At the beginning of the war pilots did not know how to recover from a spin and going into a spin meant certain death. It was only after someone discovered how to do it that the knowledge could be passed to others. There was an episode in the BBC 'Wings' series about an instructor, who taught spin recovery to a pupil and the consequences.