Author:
    Richard Townsend Bickers
    ISBN:
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    Published in 1988, this book harks back to an earlier era. Despite some reasonable descriptive work, it struck me as a polemic of brave Entente airmen against the dastardly Hun, particularly that cowardly murderer of defenceless 2-seater crews, Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen. Given that the observation aircraft were supporting the most effective killing technology of the war, artillery, shooting down these aircraft could actually be interpreted as a great act of humanity. Of MvR's 80 kills, only 29 (less than 25%) were against observation machines (and that number includes 3 Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutters, which may have actually been fighters), while virtuous Entente airmen like Albert Ball scored only 13 of his 44 kills against scouts (so more than 70% against 2-seaters) and Georges Guynemer scored at best (given the vagaries of target description) 12 of his 53 acknowledged kills against scouts (so greater than 75% against 'defenceless' 2-seaters). But history is written by the victors (attributed to Winston Churchill).
    Overall, for me it's a jingoistic, biased stinker.
    Attachment 36940
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 03-17-2012 at 16:19. Reason: cataloguing

Thanks for the frank crit Baldrick. One to leave off my Christmas list I think.
    Even Kyte baulks at that type of jingoism. For a book published as late as 1988 that is indeed a poor showing by the author.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 08-09-2013 at 02:58.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Some veterans never give up hatred for their former enemies.
    It appears that Richard Townsend Bickers served in the RAF during WW II.
    "RLT Bickers has written more books about the RAF and its predecessor, the RFC, than any other author past or present - some under a pseudonym. Being multilingual, he does his own research in foreign archives and by interviews and correspondence. His short stories and newspaper articles were first published and broadcast while he was a serving RAF officer. By the time he left the RAF his first four novels had appeared. His biography of his friend "Ginger" Lacey, the top-scoring pilot in the Battle of Britain, was published to acclaim in 1962. Bickers volunteered for the RAF on the outbreak of war and served, with a Permanent Commission, for eighteen years. In England he operated with Fighter and Coastal Commands; in North Africa and Italy with Desert Air Force and Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Force. After the war he did a tour in Hong Kong and Malaya."
    See: http://www.amheath.com/profile.php?a=206
    Perhaps, his books should be read keeping in mind that he may have a prejudice against his former enemies.

Ken

Zakopious,
    Thanks; I hadn't done any research on the author. It certainly appears, as you've said, that his attitude is coloured by his experience. I haven't read any of his other work, either factual or fiction, but frankly after that effort, I'm not sure I'd want to.
    BofB

It is funny how often MvR get's called out for attacking "easy" two-seaters... when although out his own writings, he describes them as being tougher then any of the scouts. Even in our simple game of Wings of Glory, I think we see this bear out as well.

Similar Missions

1. WGFA: Aces' Twilight: The Air War in the West, 1918
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2021, 06:53
  2. WGFA: Aircraft of World War 1 1914-1918
    By Boney10 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-06-2016, 19:12
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 19:15
  4. WGFA: Aces Falling: War Above the Trenches, 1918