Ares Games

Thread: And now the aircraft pegs.

Default And now the aircraft pegs.

As a few people have expressed interest in how I do my flight pegs. Here is my method. I know a lot of you have found your own answer to this, but I do them like this.

The material I use is plastic flight pegs from Litco as they are the cheapest way to get the machinable acrylic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1104.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	32019

I turn these from 3mm to 2.5mm on the lathe and then put on a 1 degree taper until the official peg fits snugly.

Name:	DSC_1105.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	32020

Cut off with a parting tool or small hacksaw. Then sand down the end until it bottoms into the hole in the plane, leaving the protrusion that you require.(This may vary for different aircraft setups.)

To drill out for the hole in the plane I use a drill press and hand vice. You will see that the body of the aircraft is protected by a folded paper towel to stop the jaws of the vice marking the soft metal. Set the drill stop to the required depth and check for squareness in all directions. I use a small 2mm pilot drill first and then the 2.5mm to size the hole.

Name:	DSC_1108.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	32021

NB. It is called a pilot hole because if it comes out through the pilots head, you know that you have set up the depth stop wrongly.

Name:	DSC_1128.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	32022

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That's how I like to do mine ..... I just need a lathe & a bench drill now !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Don't forget the hammer!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks for advice.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I recently acquired a jewlers lathe and had the same thoughts about turning some posts as well. What speed do you turn the plastic at? I found tinted plastic rod which would be cool for altitude.
    Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I recently acquired a jewlers lathe and had the same thoughts about turning some posts as well. What speed do you turn the plastic at? I found tinted plastic rod which would be cool for altitude.
    Clipper
    2000 RPM. for plastic up to 5mm dia, above this 2500, up to 10mm. Dave. If it melts on to your tool you are cutting too fast. Drills need to be frequently withdrawn otherwise they weld into the plastic.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You could construct a Fonly Lathe using a Dremel and the following instructions:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~two.mm/ar...y/fonlypt1.htm

The website claims that a Fonly lathe can be constructed in a weekend.

Ken

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Don't forget the hammer!
    And the Chisel & the heaver hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    You could construct a Fonly Lathe using a Dremel and the following instructions:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~two.mm/ar...y/fonlypt1.htm

The website claims that a Fonly lathe can be constructed in a weekend.

Ken
    I wouldn't like to try it in a weekend even in my prime Ken. I assume they don't include sourcing the materials in that time as well!
    Rob.

out of my league, Ill wait untill I can buy

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I wouldn't like to try it in a weekend even in my prime Ken. I assume they don't include sourcing the materials in that time as well!
    Rob.
    Admittedly, I could not do it in a weekend because I am caretaker for my 92 yr. old mother.
    Anyone who has a "Honey-do" list or other significant responsibilities would not be able to do it in a weekend.
    However, if you can send SWMBO on a holiday for the weekend, it might be possible if the materials are assembled ahead of time.

Ken

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    out of my league, Ill wait untill I can buy
    BINGO! Hope it's soon.