Ares Games

Thread: Giant Bomber Art.

Post Giant Bomber Art.

G'day All!
    Now that the Giant Bombers are getting close to release & there are also many available from S/ways. I thought you might enjoy this one of the Friedrichafen G3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Friedrichafen G3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	31550

lovely ,can't wait for the bobmers to arrive.

GR,
    I'd be interested to know if that's an 'artist's impression' or a depiction of a real incident, as I thought that by the advent of the Friedrichshafen G.IIIa (with the compound tail), use of G- and R-planes was limited to the hours of darkness due to their vulnerability to fighters (like the Brisfits), and that they would have worn either pre-printed or hand-painted 'night' lozenge.

Maybe they're meant to be 'coming home late'!
    BofB

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    GR,
    I'd be interested to know if that's an 'artist's impression' or a depiction of a real incident, as I thought that by the advent of the Friedrichshafen G.IIIa (with the compound tail), use of G- and R-planes was limited to the hours of darkness due to their vulnerability to fighters (like the Brisfits), and that they would have worn either pre-printed or hand-painted 'night' lozenge.

Maybe they're meant to be 'coming home late'!
    BofB
    Dont know, Baldrick but I did note the Brisfits "lurking" in the background!
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 11:30.

Maybe it's after this painting and the aftermath of broken bombers that they changed to night bombing.
    Linz

Could just be artistic license, because you would not be able to see the details very well in the dark.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Maybe it's after this painting and the aftermath of broken bombers that they changed to night bombing.
    Linz
    Linz,
    Can't buy that I'm afraid; the Germans had switched to night bombing by the autumn of 1917, and the Fd G.IIIa wasn't delivered until June 1918, so even an 'in extremis' as part of the maximum effort for the Kaiserschlacht wouldn't fit the dates. Looks like 'artistic license'. The G.IIIa was quite an improvement over the G.III, with better single engine handling characteristics due to th ebiplane tail, and a 'Gotha tunnel' for a ventral defensive MG.
    BofB