Ares Games

Thread: Scratch Building 101 Part 3

Post Scratch Building 101 Part 3

So back for more are you? Things get a bit more challenging here. Entering the Fuselage Zone . . .

One needs to study the cross sections of the fuselage so we can carve a similar one from bass wood (my medium of choice)

Clear pine, even very hard balsa would also work. Most of our craft of this era are basically a box cross section with a upper turtle deck, normally half round. A good set of 3-views will have cross sections to assist.

For our Shorts we have a flat bottom, flat sides, and the rounded top. From our drawings and pattern we find a material thickness of 1/4". So taking the fuselage pattern we made, simply trace it onto the bass wood sheet. Make sure the wood grain runs the length of the fuselage.

Position the fuselages so you can safely cut them out! These are spaced for my small band saw

And here is my baby! For 15 years she has cranked out parts few could ever have anticipated. Purchased at a tool mart for under $100 : )

The fuselage parts are carefully sawn out, make sure you have as many fingers after the cutting session as you had before! You can also use a small table top jig saw or a hand coping saw.

The finished fuselage plugs! Aren't they cute!

A bit of quick sanding to get the rough bits off, and here are our fuselages!

Use the saw carefully to cut the cockpits out, finish off with a round file.

From the 3 view you will see the nose and tail sections need to narrow. The nose and tail need to be marked for the needed tapers.

Carve or sand the wedges off, checking to see they are symetrical on both sides.

The block on the upper nose will become the massive radiator, but it needs to thinned down to 1/8" wide and 1/8" thick.

Next the fuselage tops need to be carved round. Start by carving off the corners, then carve to a nice curve.

Use 250 grit sandpaper to knock off the edges and make the tops smooth and round. The bottom corners of the fuselage and nose can be sanded lightly so they are not so sharp.

Cockpits can be drilled out to deepen them unless you plan on adding crew.

Take the fuselage pattern, cut out the location of the lower wing. Now you have a guide for marking each fuselage so the wing cut out can be made.

Use a razor saw to make a cut on the bottom of each fuselage for the leading edge and trailing edge. Use the lower wing to make sure the gap is correct.

Draw the wing section onto the fuselage, and carve it out.

Test the wing and fuselage fit, adjust as necessary to make sure the wing and fuselage is square when viewed from the top and front.

A large T pin is inserted where the prop shaft will be later drilled. Press it in snuggly, this will be a handle for finishing the wood.

Give the wood a few coats of sealer, I use the Gloss Clear Krylon spray. Four or five coats with a light sanding between each makes the fuselage as smooth as plastic!

Now we sleep, tomorrow we learn of struts, pontoons, props, oh my! Yet tonight we dream, dreams of flights over water! Battle! Victory! Etc.

Later, Clipper

Excellant 'How to'.
    great pictures and explanations.
    Can't wait to the next installment.
    But now to sleep and dream......

Good morning campers.
    Yes I slept like a Baby.A Sopwith Baby!
    And woke up to this magnificent part three.
    Bring on part four as soon as maybe says I.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Piramidous!! Have I told yet that if I wasn't into the paper thing, I'd go this way?!

I've drifted in the paper realm myself on occasion : )

Clipper

Fiddler's Green model, right? Very nice.

Yepers! There are way too many ways to enjoy airplanes!

Clipper

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Awestruck!