Ares Games

Thread: Scratch Building 101 Part 2

Default Scratch Building 101 Part 2

Is this where I left off? Seems like a year ago . . . it was? Nothing like a sick day off with nothing to do to motivate you to something more than watch TV

We had all the patterns cut from card stock, nicely laid out. Now for a look in the materials box.

Ah yes the Shorts wings fit nicely on a strip of 1" plastic window blind-my material of choice.

Both upper and lower wings will fit, notice the leading edges align with the finished edge of the plastic.

Now to decide how ambitious you are, how many to make? Just one? if you mess it up its game over, try several, that way you can have spares if needed. I chose a wimpy five for this build, my hangers are getting a bit crowded.

Masking tape the stack of 5 blind sections together tightly and accurately. Then tape the lower wing pattern to the tightly stacked pile of 5-with the leading edge up to the finish edge of the stack.

Now using a straight edge and a sharp knife, cut along the trailing edge of the wing, through all 5 layers. Take several slices at it, not all 5 at once.

Now tape the loose trailing edge of the wing stack and the same with the remaining other stack.

Use a sharp pair of scissors or model knife to trim the wing tip angles.

Sand the radius smooth with a sanding block with 220 grit paper or use an emery board.

Measure the wingspan and mark the center line of the lower wing on both the leading and trailing edges.

Use a square or triangle to mark the center lines on top and bottom as well.
    Carefully peel off the tape and you now have 5 identical lower wings!

Repeat the process for the upper wing. This one is a bit trickier with the tapers on the trailing edges and fuselage cut out, but now you have mastered the process, you can do it!

Layout your horde of wings, alternate between top and bottom wings

Now we test your dexterity.

Slip a bottom wing between a pair of top wings, and make a stack or alternating top and bottom wings.

Label the wings in pairs, 1-1, 2-2 etc.

Make sure they are all in line!

Now tape them all into a stack, lined up on the leading edges.

Next we mark the strut locations onto the wing stack-be careful!

I use a T-pin to make a starter for the drill at each location.

Now for the boring part. I love this old time model push drill! A vise drill will work, but not as cool! Fit it with a 0.020" drill bit (same as the struts will be) and start the drilling. I use a foam cushion placed under the stack which tells me when i have drilled through. Clean, lined up holes are a must!

Un-tape and set them all out, now you have match drilled pairs of wings, 5 sets of them too!

Now for the next step. Tail feathers. I choose 0.020" styrene sheet for these guys, trace each stabilizer and rudder on the plastic with a sharp pencil and carefully cut them out. You can stack, tape and cut them out in sets of 5 if you want to, but it is just as fast here with one at a time.

Take time to draw on the center lines as well as scribe the control surface lines-its much easier now!

And there you have them, 5 sets of parts ready to go. It took me longer write this up than to make the parts! Time so far in actual building = 1.3 hours!

Take some time to sand the edges a bit, trim the flash off the holes and get ready for Part 3 - The dreaded fuselage build! Till then, enjoy a mission or two!

Clipper now sleeps . . . .

Clipper,
    Absolutely genius idea with the window blind to give you an aerofoil shape to the wings!
    Looking forward to the finished product.
    BofB

Second that ! Great stuff Dave

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I have used the same process on my Caproni Ca 4's, Felixstowes et all. Check the Hobby Thread for my other threads for more insights. BEWARE the Zeppelin and Dirigible threads, you may not ever return . . .
    Clipper carving fuselages.

Fantastic tutorial, loving every bit of it mate

Dave

Great tutorial, Dave, we want more!
    Thank you for taking the time for this, much appreciated.

My 0-400 is at the stage where I need to drill the holes for the struts, so perfect timing.

Jure

Great part two.
    My leading edge question David is "Where did you get your push drill?" I can't seem to find one in the hobby shops over here.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

And the T pins where would get those from?

"T" pins are from a US manufacturer call SIG - a major model company in a tiny town of Montezuma, Iowa - they are on the web at www.sigmfg.com/ The drill was given to me by a kind parishioner, and is 1940's vintage. A new producer has picked them up, though not as nice as the vintage ones. I purchased one up at a model railroad hobby shop last month. Cost on the new one is around $15. New one has the plastic handle. Older has a better collet chuck than the new, but both work.

Wonderful. If I wasn't on paper... I'd go this way.

Thanks for the info on the drill Dave.
    I guess that still leaves me up in the air re finding one on this side of the pond, I was about to say. Then my son looked in over my shoulder and told me that Tilgear do one for about Ł10 over here which is about the same as your price. I shall certainly be getting one of those the next time he sends an order in.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

When comes Episode III? I Can't Wait!
    Congrats! a great work.
    I wanted to do the same with Hanriot.

Enrico

Hum....
    I want Episode IV!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eriko76 View Post
    Hum....
    I want Episode IV!!!
    That's the spirit!

Thanks David I have been able to order some. Doug

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Dave, impressive tutorial. I can't wait for the finished planes!