Ares Games
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Series 5" Update!

Hmmm...

This may be a workable ploy.
    "I have to buy a lot of planes now, or there won't be any more planes later and you wouldn't want to deprive me of my hobby completely - Would you darling?"

/Niclas

That's the attitude I'm taking Niclas.
    I'm not scratching around at the end of a release cycle anymore for the left over crumbs. I'm getting as many as I need for repaints etc now. You can always pass them on later if you don't use them all.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Hmmm...

This may be a workable ploy.
    "I have to buy a lot of planes now, or there won't be any more planes later and you wouldn't want to deprive me of my hobby completely - Would you darling?"

/Niclas
    I hate to say it, but I've never bought a mini and later said, "wow, it is cheaper and more abundant now!" It has always been more expensive and harder to find later. Just a fact of niche markets like hobbies. Companies come and go and good games disappear. I have a ton of mini's, but I could probably sell most of them for what I paid for them 10 years ago.

Shawn I think the WWI (Scouts) are harder to find. I have ordered a few two seaters at reduced price and an number of WWII planes. This is getting my Series 5 fix until they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    I've been thinking about how well series 5 might sell. I think there are die-hard fans that will buy any planes for WOG. Then there are the tournament folks. They bring the Fokker DVII's and the SE5a's and try to rack up the most kills. From what is easily available currently (the RAF 8's, rumplers, bruegets, rolands) it seems to me that the competative planes find a wider audience and sell more planes. I worry about a whole series of weaker less shooty planes as the first big wave from Ares. I hope they have the resources and guts to stick it out until the reprints and series 6 if series 5 doesn't sell well.
    Event organisers can fix this by date-stamping events - Fokker Scourge 1915, Bloody April 1917, Kaiserschlacht March 1918, Black Day August 1918. You could even have a four game 'Great War' competition where the players fly aircraft from each of these 'eras', so as examples a Central Powers player might fly a Fokker EIII, Albatros D.III, Fokker Dr.I, and Fokker D.VII, whilst an Allied player could try the Morane Bullet, Nieuport 17, SPAD XIII and SE5a.

Something I'll be running once Series 5 become available, whenever that may be....

I worry about a whole series of weaker less shooty planes as the first big wave from Ares.
    I think the fact that they'll really be the only planes available at a lot of places will mitigate these issues a whole bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I think the fact that they'll really be the only planes available at a lot of places will mitigate these issues a whole bunch.
    It is strange though, the only early series WGF left at my FLGS are two seater DH4's and Breguets and single seat Sopwith Snipes, some of the toughest aircraft in the game.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 07-20-2012 at 07:38.

Could be a good marketing ploy by Ares.
    Get all the new players with no aircraft to mop up what may well be a loss leader for all but the most hardened vets.
    Newbies won't notice the lesser abilities of these planes either.
    Then release what will be the best seller. The re vamped series one. Waiting for the re release of series two!
    Rob.

I wonder if they are thinking so far ahead.

I'd do more like 5, 6, 1B, 7, 8, 2B--follow normal game powercreep. I mean, really, once the Camels and Dreideckers return to the market, who other than collectors, completists, hoarders, historians and squadron-builders is gonna want a Halberstadt? If they ramp things up gradually, say two new einsitzer sets, a reprint set and a two-seater set every year and maybe a special set and starter-set alternating every other year, that'd be like a release every 3 months. If the expensive stuff is timed for around the holidays when people have more to spend...

From what is easily available currently (the RAF 8's, rumplers, bruegets, rolands) it seems to me that the competative planes find a wider audience and sell more planes.
    I think this has more to do with most average players only need one of each of these types. Just having one of each of the two seaters allows you to play limited scenarios. And with their slightly higher prices, all the more reason to just buy one.

Holy Cow.

Believe or not folks are lined up around the block! Fights are breaking out. The mayor is thinking of establishing martial law!

One lady even gave birth to twins while waiting. And get this.... After the kids popped out, she refused to leave her place in line. She's gonna name them Manfred and Lothar.

It was with Beatlemania that I last saw this much excitement being generated. Way to go, Ares Games.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Event organisers can fix this by date-stamping events - Fokker Scourge 1915, Bloody April 1917, Kaiserschlacht March 1918, Black Day August 1918. You could even have a four game 'Great War' competition where the players fly aircraft from each of these 'eras', so as examples a Central Powers player might fly a Fokker EIII, Albatros D.III, Fokker Dr.I, and Fokker D.VII, whilst an Allied player could try the Morane Bullet, Nieuport 17, SPAD XIII and SE5a.
    Except, of course, going by those titles, everyone already knows who's going to win.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Except, of course, going by those titles, everyone already knows who's going to win.... :P
    Not if you expect the unexpected Chris. That Boom card can be a great leveller.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post

Something I'll be running once Series 5 become available, whenever that may be....
    I did the exact thing for the Wings of Glory Aerodrome Invitational event at Origins this year minus the EIII and Bullet. It was a single game were once you were shot down, you jumped back in flying your next plane. Tom won the whole thing flying just the Nieuport 17.

Oh, and with no boom cards either.

So, you do never know

I personally like the early war planes and look forward to Series 5, for me the early war games are just as exciting as later war.

Yes, even to the non WWI-buff there should be an extra gaming challenge to limited speed and maneuverability of the earlier planes.
    But...
    There will always be be those who won't fall for the game unless there's speed and lots cool maneuvers of from the get go - So the later planes need to be on the market fairly soon as well, I think.

/Niclas

Well just a few more days until the end of July so hopefully Series 5 out soon.

I picked the 23:rd in the pool - Doesn't look good...

/Niclas

I was at Historicon yesterday and someone said a dealer was selling Series 5. Didn,t that was true and didn't see them. Did get a Tex Hill P-40 as I see they are hard to come by so did get my Wings fix. Again I only say 2 seaters for WWI stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    I wonder if they are thinking so far ahead.
    This is my point exactly. And if they aren't thinking ahead how successful will the company be? In reality this is a reboot of the game. Different name, different company, different manufacturers possibly. So is leading off with the early war weaker planes the way to do this? My hopes are pinned on pent up demand and I am desperate for the games to succeed. Like many here I want to play early war stuff, I am happy to play scenarios limiting planes used, and I will buy them all just to collect them. I also suspect that I am a minority in the gamer world however.
    My personal experience was that I talked my LFGS into carrying WOW. It caught on like wildfire and he couldn't keep them on the shelves. After series 3 came out the Fokker D.VII's sold well, but the wave passed and they simply stopped selling any planes. The store closed and I filled out my collection and clearence prices. Now I know several of those initial players have sold thier planes and lost interest. Niche games are boom and bust.
    So I guess in the end they will either succeed or they won't. I will buy every plane they sell even if I never play again so long as the quality remains. I love these knights of the sky and they fuel my imagination in a way that no other game can.

Shawn this is how I felt about Series 3 of the WWII planes. I also wondered about the release date but have tempered myself to be patient for the new releases. When they are released we will get them. You have to have a ZEN moment.

So when are the series 5 actually going to be released?? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by calfaber View Post
    So when are the series 5 actually going to be released?? Anyone?
    I'd say "soon" is a fairly safe bet.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Shawn this is how I felt about Series 3 of the WWII planes. I also wondered about the release date but have tempered myself to be patient for the new releases. When they are released we will get them. You have to have a ZEN moment.
    Patience, yeah yeah, how long is that going to take to learn?

I am sure in geological terms it will even happen "very soon"

Quote Originally Posted by Du doch nicht! View Post

Excellent!!!!

Someday, I hope to open the "Series 5 Update" thread to find an actual Series 5 update!

But in geological terms, the Chicxulub impact was just yesterday. (fyi that was the impact point of the one that killed off the dinosaurs ... 65 mega years ago).
    Quote Originally Posted by Du doch nicht! View Post

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Someday, I hope to open the "Series 5 Update" thread to find an actual Series 5 update!
    You mean you want real substance? ok here goes. From the Ares Games facebook page posted today (7/24)

"...In October we release the WW2 Rules Pack. The WW1 Rules Pack will be in stores in August. Fighters are now clearing customs, and should be in stores in a couple of weeks."

Anyone know how long it takes to clear customs?

Anyone know how long it takes to clear customs?
    Depends on what you're carrying.

/Niclas

A few weeks sounds pretty darn good
    Gonna be a sweet surprise to see a box with my preorders sitting on the table for me when i get home one of these nights

If this is true I'll be pleasantly surprised.

As will I Chris, as will I.
    Rob.

Still, this only for the US, I guess. We'll probably have to wait a while longer.

Don't think I'll be ordering from overseas this time around. I'm as desperate for these as I was for the bombers - And in retrospect it seems a bit silly to transport the stuff back and forth from half way around the world and having to pay extra taxes (customs) for th trouble.

/Niclas

Don't feel too bad Niclas. They look a little "cheesy" from the pix I've seen. At least you can get the scoop from North America and get just what you want/need.

Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Still, this only for the US, I guess. We'll probably have to wait a while longer.

Don't think I'll be ordering from overseas this time around. I'm as desperate for these as I was for the bombers - And in retrospect it seems a bit silly to transport the stuff back and forth from half way around the world and having to pay extra taxes (customs) for th trouble.

/Niclas
    If my experience with the WW1 bombers is anything to go by it was cheaper to order from the US and take the shipping charges than order from a UK supplier. I don't know if this is the result of Ares pricing or UK suppliers over charging, or some other reason, but it is rather galling.

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    If my experience with the WW1 bombers is anything to go by it was cheaper to order from the US and take the shipping charges than order from a UK supplier. I don't know if this is the result of Ares pricing or UK suppliers over charging, or some other reason, but it is rather galling.
    From my brief experiences with UK pricing,, it seemed to me that whatever the retail price was in the products country of origins, they just changed the currency to British pounds and left it the same. So, a US $5 item over here would cost Ł5 over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    From my brief experiences with UK pricing,, it seemed to me that whatever the retail price was in the products country of origins, they just changed the currency to British pounds and left it the same. So, a US $5 item over here would cost Ł5 over there.
    Very true. The simple fact that we do not have the warehouse online stores giving good discounts and local tax adds so much. Middlemen and taxes....

Don't feel too bad Niclas. They look a little "cheesy" from the pix I've seen. At least you can get the scoop from North America and get just what you want/need.
    I thougth the color looked a bit flat in the pictures too. I am hoping that it is just bad photography. I may have to try my hand at repainting if not.

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    A bit strange this. I was under the impression that games were cheaper in the UK, than in Sweden - Even imagined that this was my own experience showed as well. But the bombers would have cheaper for me to by at my LGS than what I wound up paying when I ordered from the US.

/Niclas

Great update from Ares!

The long awaited WW1 Wings of Glory Airplane Packs are going to hit the stores in a few days: following their arrival at the Ares Games’ warehouse in the U.S. early this week, this new release for the World War 1 version of Wings of Glory are now shipping to North American distributors, and will be available in US and Canadian stores starting on August 6th. In Europe, they should be available in stores in the 2nd half of August.
    Great news indeed!

Ares, WWI planes?Do out soon, Naw, not gonna believe it ill zI see it.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;-)

James

Good news.
    I was a bit out with my estimate of the 31st July though.
    Rob.

But just in time for my B-day!

Gna why is there such a delay in Europe, I mean Andrea and his Company Ares Games are located in Europe. I'm feeling discriminated In Germany the Bombers aren't in the shops now I think it's such a delay because of the Translation and I think all the new Products (Bombers, Series 5 and Rules and Accessories Pack) will realeased at once, but I keep waiting and waiting and waiting...

The company offices are in europa, the factory is in china. From china to the panama canal zone to america and points east.

And why via Panama? Less pirates and dangers than via Indian Ocean and the middle east area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niemandsland View Post
    Gna why is there such a delay in Europe, I mean Andrea and his Company Ares Games are located in Europe. I'm feeling discriminated In Germany the Bombers aren't in the shops now I think it's such a delay because of the Translation and I think all the new Products (Bombers, Series 5 and Rules and Accessories Pack) will realeased at once, but I keep waiting and waiting and waiting...
    Last edited by wargamer; 07-27-2012 at 12:00.

Once again the legions of European customers are treated as second class citizens......

I think that we are mostly treated as the second most important market - Probably because we are...

/Niclas

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast