Ares Games
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Series 5" Update!

Exclamation XC Vs XD & P/G Decks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    If you look at the tool we used to determine which decks to use - it's at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=959

You'll see:
    201+ - Very fast - A, N - 6cm
    181-200 - Fast - B, C, F, H, L, M, O, Q, S - 4.7cm
    161-180 - Average - D, I, J, K - 3.5 cm
    141-160 - Slow - E, G, P, R - 2.9 cm
    130-140 - Very slow - XD - 2.3 cm
    100-130 - Sluggish - XB, XC - 2 cm
    <100 - Pedestrian - XA - 1.2 cm

There isn't a lot of difference between XC,XB,XD - a total of less than 1cm over a 3-card move (of 24 to 24.9cm)

None of our sources had a Gunbus flying at even 120 kph. let alone 130 kph.

Time to get out our measuring sticks, to see just how long the arrows are on the XA, XB, XC, or XD decks. Andreas's remarks were based on the incorrect assumption that all aircraft using the XA and XD decks have longer bases.
    Morning Zoe!
    Did you check out the pic I posted in this thread (about 12 posts above your one) showing the pics of 4 Card speeds to compare: K, XC, XD & P/G (P/G are the same speed but P has 2 sideslips)
    If you compare the percentage speed of XC to P/G it is far too slow. XD reflects far better 70 MPH to 83 MPH which was the E.III max speed.
    In my opinion XC would only relate to about 55 MPH at the most.
    Anyway for ease of checking it out I attach it below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF Early War Deck comparison.jpg  Views: 325  Size: 112.1 KB  ID: 35142" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by gully_raker; 02-29-2012 at 15:18.

Looks like Ares is now showing "series 5" on the books for June officially now.

That's good it will give me more time to save more money for mins!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Looks like Ares is now showing "series 5" on the books for June officially now.
    Great. I'll order a few more of your bases ready for the event then Keith.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Pictures of all the new aircrafts of Series 5 on the Ares homepage!

Sorry forgot the link.
    Interesting are the change in Maneuver Decks used. And Ares intruduced the T-Deck.

OOHRAH! We're Back In Business! Props to Keith and the IT team...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Sorry forgot the link.
    No worries, you were doubly excited by this and the forum being back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Interesting are the change in Maneuver Decks used. And Ares intruduced the T-Deck.
    Good news. Now the DH.2 should be able to win against the Eindecker.

Cool the forum is back...
    The news look promising, hopefully the new models are to arrive soon.
    New decks??? I do not care too much about new decks. A deck with every plane, and hey we use planes also from skytrex but to be honest normally there are no more than 4-8 per side on the table and that works fine with the decks from models not used. So far it is ok for me. Maybe some new boosters will arive in the not too distant future with some decks to bolster my deck collection

Sweet I like the look of em all and cant wait to run some early war matchups

Carlos von C

10 Health on the Morane Saulniers is gonna be nasty though. I can see them dropping en-masse to Archie and even observer fire.

Carlos, that's 'cuz their only real contemporaries are the should-be-similarly-weak Eindeckers... it'd be no more fair to put either up against even a Nieuport 17 than it would be to put anything from WWI up against Airwolf.

Carlos von C

First off, love that show. Second, yeah, makes sense. The Eindeckers do have the edge in health though, and the same maneuver deck, so theoretically they should always win (in a larger action, say 5 on 5, where the variance of the B-deck damage can be accounted for). Fokker scourge indeed.

Nice looking models. Not my personal preference even for WWI planes, but they will be a nice addition to early war scenarios.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Is it just me or do these look a little cartoony than previous releases from Nexus

Think it maybe you but depends what you had in mind !

Seriously though, they always look a little different in the release photos than when they are in your sticky paw - maybe something to do with the lighting.?

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Sorry to add to the confusion Rick, but if you look at the Ares own site, you will see thir official comunications. The rest comes from Andrea, who is the Game originator, so knows as much as any of us. The Oberst gets info direct from the horses mouth and the rest of us just speculate or make advised guesses based on the info and our past experiences. You may as well try to stop the planets as try to stop speculation I'm afraid.
    The best thing to do is just chill out and wait for the planes to hit your local store.
    Rob.
    If you dont know already Rick the new Ares site is at
    http://www.aresgames.eu/
    Some nice pictures of the new releases have turned up recently.

This on the Ares Facebook page:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	series 5.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	47440

"The final production samples of the new WW1 Wings of Glory Airplane Packs have passed final QC in our office, and the shipment is on its way to the USA!"

(Sorry UK players, looks like these might be on the streets of the USA before you can buy a Bomber Pack over there.)

Nooooooooooo grrrrr not even a glimmer in UK for the bombers, what chance we got for these

Well Gents,

If the arrival and sale of all the new Ares planes continues here in the U.S. first, the economy can't help but improve!

Sorry, had a moment there.........

James

Well Italy and China will have a improvement in their balance of trade, so their economy should improve (not gonna get into the methods that the numbers will not reflect these due to normal political procedures). But they will do so, at the expense of the north american budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by James Denberger View Post
    Well Gents, If the arrival and sale of all the new Ares planes continues here in the U.S. first, the economy can't help but improve!

Sorry, had a moment there.........

James

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Nooooooooooo grrrrr not even a glimmer in UK for the bombers, what chance we got for these :(
    So, in essence: The Americans buy the airplanes, then resell them to the British? Gee, where have I heard *that* before? >;)

Sorry UK players, looks like these might be on the streets of the USA before you can buy a Bomber Pack over there.
    For a European company I think their distribution system and their inability to adequately support their European customer base is turning out to be a bit p**s poor! At least with nexus every got the odd release about the same time. This is just rubbish.

I'm with David on this one,another string of broken promises. New rules, Series 5, bombers. Very poor treatment of a loyal fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    So close, yet so far...

Still so near yet so far for us here in the U.K.
    After the euphoria of Sheffield Triples has now had two weeks to calm down, I can't but wonder if the new keen punters that we excited will have the staying power to wait for the release date, or move on to pastures new.
    We all know how fickle some Wargamers are.
    Ares are losing sales already, and even I have gone to the good old US. of A. for mine.
    Rob.

It's really strange. I bought my 4 new Ares bombers over a week ago at my country online store and got them in 24 hours. Wonder how the distribution system for Europe works..., but as for Poland, we have no reason to complain...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...992#post147992

It's a dastardly plot sir. A dastardly plot I tell you.
    They are going to make us capture all of ours as they fly over.
    I shall write a strongly worded letter to the Times about this.
    Ernest Able. (Acting CO. Bentangles Aerodrome. Somewhere in France)

Believe me, I really feel for you guys across the pond. I think Ares should be taking a good long look at how their distibution system works, and whom they get to distribute their product.

Well for me they have lost the bombers sale. As for series 5 they pushing it now

It's not very far.......Maybe you guys should make a road trip to Italy, You know the old...."Honey, You've been cooped up for a while, let's go to Italy for a week!"

Turn key, start engine, flip switch on for hobby shop radar, push on gas.................

As a back up, don't forget the hard copy route itinerary with all the shops listed along the way!

James

Me too, I have gone the Shapeways route for bombers.
    Might still buy some of the early fighter planes, but have already got some from other sources.
    Depends on how much they are going to hammer us for cost as well.
    Ares better get their act together before they lose more trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Well for me they have lost the bombers sale. As for series 5 they pushing it now

Do some of you even read before you rant? 100% compatibility yes. No more non-mini version of the game. That means there is no intent of selling the card based version only , i.e. boosters, revision aircraft cards, etc. at this time or even possibly forever.

As a lot of you express so often, you buy non Wings product. So why should anyone support you in that? Mostly I read that most of you simply copy a set of cards and drive on. So now you have to get someone to photoshop you a set of revisions? tsk tsk, my heart fair bleeds for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Do some of you even read before you rant? 100% compatibility yes. No more non-mini version of the game. That means there is no intent of selling the card based version only , i.e. boosters, revision aircraft cards, etc. at this time or even possibly forever.

As a lot of you express so often, you buy non Wings product. So why should anyone support you in that? Mostly I read that most of you simply copy a set of cards and drive on. So now you have to get someone to photoshop you a set of revisions? tsk tsk, my heart fair bleeds for ya!
    Hang on there a minute Al.
    If we could get the product we would.
    Being starved of aircraft for nigh on 18 months and then watching the rest of the World and his dog get supplied a month before we even see any signs of even being able to pre order over here is bound to sour off some of the players. I'm pretty mild myself, but even I have had to place my order in the States, with all the added cost that this entails.

You might not like the fact, but the truth is that we are losing prospective players because of it.
    Rob.

Do you really blame third party products for the decision not to produce card versions?
    That seems a bit odd.
    They might not get as good a margin on cards as on minis, but it would still be a sale wouldn't it.
    Anyway, I'd be very surprised if any but relatively few hard core gamers would go all out and only buy third party planes - Not to mention also making their own cards.
    Even if some customers augment their collection with non-official products, Ares could probably earn more by creating a loyal client base than by being stingy and not releasing a few booster card sets every now and then.

There. That was my 5 öres worth.

/Niclas
    Last edited by Niclas; 05-31-2012 at 11:04.

Al does like a good rant doesn't he.
    Not sure what you are getting at.
    I will still support WoG when they produce items that I want and like.
    I have numerous WOW box sets, 60+ planes, 2 balloons etc
    The only non standard items I have are some planes that WoG don't produce yet or are not available and I have printed of some plane cards from this site.
    Don

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

My local shops do not yet have the bombers as well. I was speaking to one of the owners and he was telling me that the distributors in Western Canada are hesitant to get the WoG products in until they have enough commitments from the stores. They are afraid of the stigma of Nexus and Wings of War.

The reason that we mostly have to source mostly non-Wings products is that mostly there are mostly no products in our market.

The UK is in itself not an insignificant market, (if the members of our flight is any yardstick), yet we seem to be left as 'Tail-Gun Charlie' when it comes to supply. (My sympathies extend to our antipodean cousins on this one, who do get a far sh*****r end of the stick).

We would all prefer the opportunity to purchase "originals", but to have to buy from overseas at inflated prices is, quite frankly, galling.

We are, however, lucky that in the UK we enjoy a wide base of alternatives suppliers, who are more than happy to fill in the gaps that Nexus (and now Ares) have consistently failed to capitalise on.

Having spent time trying to introduce potential players to the game it is frustrating, to say the least, to repeat over and over that "unfortunately you cannot get the "official" games or models (WWI) without paying over the odds and that is if you can find them".

The WGF items that are now available are supplied unsupported by a game system and though I concede the WGS system may be available, the supply is rationed.

We can all forgive the initial 'inevitable' delays that occur from trying to restart the production process and compliments where compliments are due, Andrea has gone further than most would have done. (, to you Sir) But, sadly, we seem to be returning to the dark days of Nexus: limited products, poor supply, inflating prices and that will lead us to the same old practices:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I am, unfortunately, with Boney10 on this one, if Ares cannot deliver on their ambitions - 'Adapt and Overcome'.

Mostly I read that most of you simply copy a set of cards and drive on. So now you have to get someone to photoshop you a set of revisions?

P.S. Thanks for the offer, but I have enough decks without having to scan them in... but I do have a surfeit of altitude pegs. Mostly.

I'm with the blokes who say they are losing patience.
    I only have a limited budget and, although I would be buying planes if they were available, my Macedonian 28mm army is being built up and the money will have gone to Warlord Games rather than Ares. Their loss.

Richard

Now, if I'm to vent some frustration...
    Admittedly, I'm in what could (probably even should) be called a marginal market, but I'm still annoyed that Ares hasn't bothered to push the fact that their minis are compatible WoW enough so that even my LGS don't get it. Every time I go in there to ask for the bombers (about once a day), I'm met by a new employee who says "Oh yes, pity about that, complete overhaul of the rule. No compatibility between the new and the old game". It seems that this has also made them cautious in ordering the stuff - The WWII WoG has come in, but only two of each. Now Stockholm isn't a very big city, but you would think that they could at least count on more than about one potential mini crazed gamer per million - or I'm I wrong?

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by James Denberger View Post
    It's not very far.......Maybe you guys should make a road trip to Italy, You know the old...."Honey, You've been cooped up for a while, let's go to Italy for a week!"
    Funny -- I was about to suggest something similar; Azathoth knows, in the time it's taken so far, every British member of this Forum could have driven to Italy, bought the needed minis, come home, and gotten in at least one game.

As it is, tho': I think us Poor Benighted Colonials are going to have to set up an "arsenal of freedom" to help out the Mother Country -- again. :)

Users Country Flag

Name
    André
    Sorties Flown

Talking about overlooked countries: Germany

Being financially in a way better situation than most other countries and having 80+ millions people living here (close to 100 million if you add Switzerland and Austria) you could think we would be treated better, but: Nada!
    Many companies are so fixed on the angloamerican market that they overlook the millions speaking other languages in countries that have a lot of money to spend. Also, these days I have to check my credit card billing twice when buying in UK or USA... Can´t believe how much Dollars/Pounds you get these days for one Euro.

Gentlemen, (slipping into Old Sarge lecture mode...)
    You really need to relax a little.

Please remember that Ares is making valient efforts to succeed in a very uphill battle, with limited funds and reliance on a manufacturor from a totally different continent half a world away. I'm also sure that Andrea and crew are well aware of the loss in sales they continue to acrue while trying to get things up and running efficiently. Ares business world dosn't work on our ingrained need for immediate satisfaction.

Yes, other models are out there, and Andrea has'nt made bones about liscensing all the reproduction and product created by our members using his system. So make your choices. If you need 1to 1 aircraft from 1914-1927 right this minute, then please frequent the other distributors and spend all your time building and painting your models. Trashing our favorite supply officer and his team, who are trying so hard to save our favorite game and provide us new models, is detrimental to our future gaming. Personally, I will continue to support Ares games, as well as other hobby dealers who support our needs to the best of my ability and finances.

If the distributors and your LGS are waiting to see the result of the new WOG sales before commiting, that is not Ares fault. Even our distributors and local dealers have only made minimal purchases to test the waters. If your local LGS still have WOW box sets and and aircraft floating around after all these months, you have no one to blame but yourselves for their hesitancy to start over. Team up, walk in, and offer to clear the old WOW off their shelves for a discount and give them an incentive to reinvest in Wings of Glory.

Stop whining, repeat your general orders 6 times, perform the manual of arms (think Hdqtrs BEF, France 1940) and get out there and fix your local problem.

Sincerely,

James (don's flying jacket and cap)
    Last edited by James Denberger; 06-01-2012 at 16:25.

Please remember that Ares is making valient efforts to succeed in a very uphill battle
    But that is just the point. Ares is starting from a very unenviable position. As others have mentioned that have to overcome the stigma of Nexus and all its faults. Poor release schedules, poor distribution, poor availability etc. To come to market and apparently display a similar approach will win them no friends. They have to be better from the start precisely because they are facing that up hill battle.

I found myself in a similar situation some years back - a technical area, not a business one for sure, but I inherited a team and an area of responsibility where the previous incumbent had been, shall we say, less that great. The reputation of the team and its work was less than zero. So I had to work bloody hard to get around all the disgruntled ex-"customers" and influential people, much harder than any of the other team leaders, to show that the old ways were dead and buried, that we were back and we were a million times better. and then we backed that message up with hard work to ensure we delivered on that new message. That is what Ares has to do in these first few years.

So sitting in the US with 12-7 sending you models for a decent knock-down price saying "calm down chaps" is understandable but, IMHO, rather misses the point - that whilst a portion of the customer base can say "I'm alright jack, I'm inboard" there are many who can't, and who see the current situation as "same old same old".

David,

I can relate to your story, I've been in something similar since last July. My predecessor was hauled away in handcuffs and I've suffered the underlying negativity ever since while trying to gain customer trust and regain lost customers.

You said:

"That is what Ares has to do in these first few years."

Good, I agree, It's only been a couple of months and product is starting to move. Business Morale in this world wide economy is a fragile thing. The negative comments now appearing on this thread are not about the quality of the Ares product, But about the fact that Ares cannot control all the intangibles that hazard the product from manufacture,importing from the far east, and all the hassle that go's with it, through world wide distribution, and the hesitancy of the local retailer.

Anticipation is a pain, I was there until a few days ago when I finally scored a new WGF product right off the shelf. Come on guy's, please ease up a little, provide a little more vocal positive support, and knock down a few more enemy aircraft while patiently waiting for your turn at your LGS.

If you must complain, at least use a few more sarcastic smilies or something to lighten the message!

Sincerely,

James

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Every time I go in there to ask for the bombers (about once a day), I'm met by a new employee who says "Oh yes, pity about that, complete overhaul of the rule. No compatibility between the new and the old game".
    Niclas, perchance are this guy's eyes brown? He sounds like he's full of brownware enough they should be...

(For the record, I have brown eyes myself and have had "you're so full of crap no wonder your eyes are brown" served up on me a few times... usually followed by a Gibbs-slapping with the facts from me.)

@ Diamondback : "Gibbs-slapping"... Now I like that one

Gentlemen .. There is light at the end of the tunnel! ( Only Belgians will get this one )... My favourite German supplier has put the Wings of War products on his site for pre-order...

Now If I manage to convince ( )"the Colonel" of my need of more planes, it looks like I am finally going to be able to spend my hard-earned cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    @ Diamondback : "Gibbs-slapping"... Now I like that one

Gentlemen .. There is light at the end of the tunnel! ( Only Belgians will get this one )... My favourite German supplier has put the Wings of War products on his site for pre-order...

Now If I manage to convince ( )"the Colonel" of my need of more planes, it looks like I am finally going to be able to spend my hard-earned cash.
    Well Alex, we can actually do Gibbs' slapping here on the Drome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibbs_Headslap_Dinozzo.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	47596

Rob.

It is just as bad in Australia, I have given up on Australian suppliers and now buy directly from the States, with the dollar near parity it does not cost much extra. Another thing is that the local games stores are being priced out of the market by the larger shops who have lower prices. I am all for supporting my local store, but the fact is I am a disability pensioner and have got to make every dollar count.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast