Ares Games
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Series 5" Update!

There's an idea: Form a British distribution network; use the profits to buy and rebuild that WW1 airfield which is up for sale; use the airfield as a combined drop-off site and 1:1-scale advertisement for the game.... :)

Hey Dom, I would happily pay up front for pre orders, as long as I knew they were coming within 3 months.

By the time customs & the post office had had their way it added about another 25% onto the purchase price though
    To be fair its not like it should be a surprise to anyone ordering goods from overseas. Frustrating, but not a surprise.

Over here, smallish orders (under Ł20ish) are free of charge - get over it by a pound and govermental moneygrabbing begins to the tune of Ł40ish in VAT and handlingfees...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Here it's under Ł15.00 is exempt, over that VAT at the usual 20%, plus handling fee of Ł8, or occasionally Ł13.50 if you get unlucky with which service it arrives by.

Well thanks to B and B Game Shop, a U.S. internet-only shop as far as I can tell, the whole of Series V arrived today. And with no Customs or Royal Mail fees either. Huzzah!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by deephorse View Post
    Well thanks to B and B Game Shop, a U.S. internet-only shop as far as I can tell, the whole of Series V arrived today. And with no Customs or Royal Mail fees either. Huzzah!
    Mixed feelings every time I see a report like that; "good for you" coupled with "one more reason this game's possibly not worth bothering with for UK sellers".... [Need an ambivalent emoticon....]

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    ... [Need an ambivalent emoticon....]
    Two haystacks?

/Niclas

You were lucky, Andrew. If we do not support U.K. sellers they will not even try to stock the game and it could die over here. Exposure in shops is useful to attract new gamers.

I have consoled myself with the thought that although I have gone Lease Lend for the first time with Ares, I will inevitably spend far more in the U.K. on repaints than I ever have on the imports, as evidenced by thecurrent aircraft in my game boxes.
    Also, far more boxes of the models of planes have been given as presents to friends than I have just paid for in the States, so my concience is mostly clear.
    However, if I had felt totally O.K. about it I guess I would not have needed to justify it to myself in this way.

As the panic about actually being able to aquire planes in the U.K. is gradually abating because of the reassuring murmerings of British stockists, I will not be so worried in the future.
    So you can expect some more orders from me soon Dom.
    Rob.

I also went to the US for this series, ok I know it's a bit silly thinking we wouldn't see them, but there we are.
    However as the WingCo has said, I also will be buying more , from Dom, when they get to these shores and When the re-releases come along , hopefully will also get in Uk.

Mixed feelings every time I see a report like that; "good for you" coupled with "one more reason this game's possibly not worth bothering with for UK sellers"....
    Quote Originally Posted by deephorse View Post
    And with no Customs or Royal Mail fees either.
    [makes the same face Adam Ferrara made at the "The Comedy Central Roast of Denis Leary" after telling the following joke: "The _Sopraons_ boys are here -- and if anyone asks: They've been here since 4:30"]

Mixed feelings every time I see a report like that; "good for you" coupled with "one more reason this game's possibly not worth bothering with for UK sellers".... [Need an ambivalent emoticon....]
    I'm afraid that I don't have the patience to wait until - well who knows when - in order to buy locally. Though I have bought from you in the past Dom, and will buy more of Series V if and when they do arrive here. But the collector part of me is unable to let the opportunity to complete my sets pass by. And I'm sure that some other collectors will agree to a greater or lesser extent.

In the short time I've been here I've seen that the USA seems to get stock first, and the rest of us get some later on. If you're happy to wait and see what arrives here then that's OK. I'm afraid that I'm not. Perhaps Ares could be persuaded to work towards firm release dates in the various countries that will get supplies? If I knew for certain that sufficient stock would arrive here by a certain date, and that this date was just a few weeks after US release, then my 'need' to obtain a set could be contained. And retaillers could stock and attract the new gamers that Naharaht mentions. But I haven't seen anything yet to reassure me sufficiently!

I fully understand the frustration that local retailers must feel Dom, but the pent up desire to obtain Series V was evident in posts from around the world. And I feel that this build up of a wish to get the latest miniatures is as a result of the promotion by Ares. They successfully made me want to obtain them, but indirectly have made me feel that if I don't get them from 'X' then I might not get what I want at all. When there's demand, but no imminent sign of supply, some will do as I did and buy where they can.

I'm just glad that so far I haven't been accused of contributing to the debt crisis or of being a minor Jimmy Carr

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

My comment was strictly for the "no customs or Royal Mail fees" bit - if stuff's coming through without those, someone's screwing up; either the seller's undervaluing the package (legally less a grey area than a solid black one) or Royal Mail are napping. Either way it's a result for you obviously (nobody's ever going to be pleased getting a VAT bill....) but tips an already far from level playing field even further against European sellers; US retailers are already getting the product faster and at a better discount level, without it slipping through the tax net as well.... Hence the mixed feelings; not in any way faulting you for the decision to buy overseas, but rather lamenting the fact that Ares' approach to new releases, coupled with different retail models, makes it so hard *not* to decide to buy from overseas....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

(And yeah, I'm aware of what a first class chunterer I sound like, sorry - beginning to think it might be time for me to abandon forum for a bit....)
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-20-2012 at 17:46.

if stuff's coming through without those, someone's screwing up
    In my experience over the last 30 years or so I've been pinged for VAT on post from abroad in about 25% of cases. The chances have increased in recent years but only to about 40% so its by no means certain. Mind you, having a friend in the US who is happy to nring stuff over when we meet up for work trips, or who buys stuff for me to collect when I go over to see him helps as well.

(And yeah, I'm aware of what a first class chunterer I sound like, sorry - beginning to think it might be time for me to abandon forum for a bit....)
    I would rather you stay; you do bring quite a bit to our discussions, and I for one take no offence to your words or tone.
    Please stay.
    karl

I echo Karl statement.
    Well given opinions should not offend nobody and you are up in the mark.

I live in an even more difficult country for our kind of hobby and many times I had no other option than to bay elsewhere. I've paid many times much more than I should on account of shipping and customs. My last great bought (that almost broke me down) was 8 WoG ww2 fighters from the States. I've paid $72 for the planes, $21 in shipping and 29 Euros for customs. Each plane cost me $16. Almost doubling their initial cost.

My wife loved this.... so much...

[QUOTE=Dom S;165241]My comment was strictly for the "no customs or Royal Mail fees" bit - [QUOTE]

I have no problem with that Dom. My comment was meant to mark a minor ‘victory’ over the forces of the state! Lord knows that I’ve paid my fair share of taxes over the years, being one of those that earned enough to pay taxes, but not enough to have a Jersey-based K2 company lend me my wages instead. And avoiding the egregious Ł8 Royal Mail fee for having me attend the sorting office and pay the customs duty made me extremely happy. That’s where the real rip-off occurs.

I’ve imported quite a bit of wargaming kit from the U.S. in recent years and rare indeed is the package that slips through. But I can’t avoid feeling a bit smug when it does.

As far as I am concerned Dom, you bring a valued opinion to all of our posts, and I would be sorry to find you back pedalling on any topic, much less opting out of the forum.
    We are all entltled to our views, and this is what adds so much to the richness of this Forum.
    I hope that you will re-consider, and continue to give us your much valued expertise on all the subjects that we air on the Drome.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Thanks folks; the kind words are much appreciated. Maybe I just need to avoid any thread that mentions new releases....

Thanks folks; the kind words are much appreciated. Maybe I just need to avoid any thread that mentions new releases....
    And where would be the fun in that? lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Sadist....

As far as I am concerned Dom, you bring a valued opinion to all of our posts, and I would be sorry to find you back pedalling on any topic, much less opting out of the forum.
    We are all entltled to our views, and this is what adds so much to the richness of this Forum.
    I hope that you will re-consider, and continue to give us your much valued expertise on all the subjects that we air on the Drome.
    Or, put another way, man up and get your ass back in the Mess

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Or, put another way, man up and get your ass back in the Mess :)
    I'd post the link to the "Copper Read" parody, but it rather painfully violates the local "family-friendly" strictures. :)

Average price in Aussie is about $15-$22, probably in most cases likely with postage on top of that. None of my "local" (read a reasonable drive away) shops stock the game except when it started to disappear & then wanted about $35.00 each for a 2 seater. Yeah, right!

PS: what is a chunterer?

Nigel, in Yorkshire, where I am from, a 'chunterer' is someone who complains a great deal of the time. However, it may have other meanings elsewhere.

Today all the minis of series 5 bought in Rome at 12 euros each one

Attilio

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yay, a European arrival.... [Makes mental note to cross his fingers and possibly sacrifice a goat before tomorrow's new releases email arrives from Esdevium....]

For me series 5 was different it was the series I had to have, so I was prepared to order from who ever would get them to me the fastest 12-7-Games did this for me, at the same time the problems faced by retailers in England are the same in Australia, local distributors do not get a chance to get the products. Why this is so I don't know, all I do know is that at one stage I was able to get the mins from my local games store, now I cannot
    (on a lighter note this must be getting close to being the longest running thread on the forum)
    Last edited by Doug; 08-23-2012 at 15:15.

I bought the series less the Turkish EIII, sorry that just did nothing for me at all. From the states.
    Have already said I will buy more when released for repaints, from the first I knew I was going to be getting a few early birds, I asked nearly two years ago about Halberstadts.
    Dom don't worry about chuntering, that's the point of a forum is it not to discuss topics, you seeem to be one of the few retailers who partakes here and gives us a view from the other side as it were.
    More to the point let us know if it's good news from Esdevium tomorrow

Thumbs up

Yee-Haa! Just got an Email from 12-7 to advise my Rules Pack & another 2 Series 5 Aircraft have been dispatched.
    As far as I know Milsims the main Aussie distributor still has not got any of the Series 5 birds.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    More to the point let us know if it's good news from Esdevium tomorrow
    Rang 'em first thing, no ETA, "maybe we'll find out next week." [Back to chuntering, grr....]

Rang 'em first thing, no ETA, "maybe we'll find out next week." [Back to chuntering, grr....]

I can be patient, I can be patient, I can be patient...

Dom,

In an attempt to cheer you up a little prior to Series V arriving I've just ordered some decals.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yay! - Now I can chunter about having to spend the bank holiday weekend printing things....

#lifeslittlepleasures

Yay! - Now I can chunter about having to spend the bank holiday weekend printing things....

#lifeslittlepleasures

Some people get all the luck

whew, finally got my shipping email from 12-7

Someone, somewhere (and I can't find the post now) said that Series V is now available in the UK from Caliver. They are US imports, as Dom S said they probably were. However, beyond picking which aircraft type you want, you have no choice as to which one of the three you will get (according to their latest marketing e-mail). I couldn't order on that basis, could you?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I think we had that "conversation" on The Miniatures Page rather than here. But yeah, it seems Caliver are an option if (a) you can't wait, (b) you're willing to pay a premium, and (c) you'll accept "pot luck" on paint schemes. Must admit (b) and (c) would both be deal breakers for me, but each to their own....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S
    Yay, a European arrival.... [Makes mental note to cross his fingers and possibly sacrifice a goat before tomorrow's new releases email arrives from Esdevium....]
    ]

Indent to stores:

Please issue the following: Goats, sacrificial, x1

Signed: A Lacey, E Flt Cmdr

Note to Chaplain, please keep an eye on Mr Skelton at Church Parade this Sunday and make sure he is properly dressed. Any kind of dressed would do in fact.
    Also of note: His Book of Extremely Uncommon Prayer would appear to be bound in human skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Nigel, in Yorkshire, where I am from, a 'chunterer' is someone who complains a great deal of the time. However, it may have other meanings elsewhere.
    Are "Yanks" allowed to 'chunter'?
    Because I'd like to 'chunter' about having to mow the lawn again now that the drought is over.

Jim

My goodies were waiting for me at my local Parcel Farce Office when I got back from the South Coast yesterday. I picked them up this afternoon and they are all now sleeping off the long flight in my little hangers which I have had waiting for them since before Christmas.
    Rob.

I have to be honest I will only pick the new stuff up if I fall over it. I wanted the planes and new rules but i have become so fed up with the whole process and I don't need the excuses oops reasons. The stuff is always late and we are always last in the queue.

any update Dom?

They've started to appear on evilbay UK

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    any update Dom?

They've started to appear on evilbay UK
    No, nothing yet - rest assured I'll be shouting from the rooftops when I do hear anything - my "occasional" calls to the distributor are verging on being classed as a harrassment campaign.... Looking at the limited numbers and higher than expected prices on Ebay someone"s bought a batch from a US discounter and marked up.

Dom, rapidly heading into a downward spiral re: Ares....
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-30-2012 at 03:15.

Well I was hoping mine would have arrived in Fridays mail seeing Linz got his but our Customs do tend to be slow so heres hoping for Monday!
    Hey Barry

I Haven't got series 5 aircraft they haven't hit the stores here.
    Last thing I got was the Bombers.
    Linz

When I opened my boxes, one of the bases was shattered into five pieces. It had obviously been done before packing in China, as only the inner plastic was torn. The box itself was fine and 12-7 packing was intact too.
    I E-mailed Bill at 12-7 and he replied within an hour or two. he has now sent two further E-mails and got me in touch with Ares customer services.
    I am very pleased with this aftersales attitude and will pass this onto you chaps.
    Rob.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast