Ares Games

Thread: Very early Fokker D.VII Colour scheme.

Exclamation Very early Fokker D.VII Colour scheme.

G'day All!
    Not that you probably have any Nexes Fok D.VII's hanging around waiting for a repaint but anyone wanting to do one from Skytrex, Shapeways etc might like to consider the fact that a least 3 of the first production Aircraft were finished in the familiar Fokker "streaky" camo finish which would be a good change from the Lozenge or other colourful schemes seen most often.

Below is a pic of one of the Aircraft. The metal nose panels appear to have been grey but you could always paint them in your favourite Jasta nose colour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 early Fok D.VII in streaky finish.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	35763
    Last edited by gully_raker; 03-07-2012 at 01:23.

I did not know they came like that... pretty cool. I recently ordered a D.VII in FUD to try out the kit form version. I just might have to do it up all streaky!

I also just got a DVII (shapeways).. this would work well with my Jasta 13 repaints.. heheh.. I did one oth my Udets just like the front of this one.. I love the look of that angled nose and it really shows the unit color off well..

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    at least 3 of the first production Aircraft were finished in the familiar Fokker "streaky" camo finish...
    Actually, it would seem rather more than three. According to Windsock 'Fokker D.VII Anthology Pt.1', while 'the use of printed camouflage fabrics... was initiated with D.VII 230/18', (the first aircraft was 227/18), there is evidence the practice continued, as Jasta Boelcke's 332/18, Berthold's JG.2 Red/Blue D.VII with winged dagger, and Gabriel's Jasta 11 268/18 all retain streaked fuselages.

Default Early D.VIIs

If you want to model these correctly, you may want to take note of the engine exhaust pipes and cowling of the early D.VIIs.

Here is Fok. D.VII early production, flown by Lt. Boelle from Jasta 2
    Boelle from Jasta 2

Thats the one that was on Ebay