Ares Games

Thread: Werner Voss´s colourscheme Fokker Dr1?

Default Werner Voss´s colourscheme Fokker Dr1?

Hi!
    I have seen two different colourschemes for Werner Voss Fokker Dr1, one with green front and one with yellow front. The rest of the plane looks the same. Anyone know when he used the green and yellow fronts? And why did he changed it? Plz help!
    Last edited by Mikael; 01-07-2012 at 11:36.

It was long believed that he had the cowling of his plane painted in the Jasta yellow color. The most recent research and conciseness is that it was never painted yellow and was in fact, factory Fokker green.

Aha, so the true colour of the front is dark green. I have seen a few pictures when a googled this with the yellowfront. Iám glad to sort this out, becuase my next hobbyproject is Werner Voss Fokker and want to be so correct as possible. Thank you Herr Oberst Hajj

It's shame though, the yellow looks so good on it!

Ah, but research and consensus is occasionally wrong, so if you want yours to be yellow then don't let that stop you

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Ah, but research and consensus is occasionally wrong, so if you want yours to be yellow then don't let that stop you
    Very true. You could paint it pink and no one could prove it was not! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    True. In the fight when Werner Voss was shoot down...McUdden reported the plane was silver-blue, Rhys-Davies mentioned that the wings were brown, the examination of the wreckage of Voss´machine showed the wings were green. Hoidge recalled that in the reddish light of the dying day the airplane appeared to him as being sort of pinkish. So why not pink then

The yellow nose look good, but I think I will paint it dark green anyway.

I was personally thinking about painting up one yellow and one green. Best of both worlds and you could put them both on the table at the same time if you needed more DR.Is in the air.

I built a Revel Vos triplane back in the 60s that was sky-blue (much like your D7s colour, herr Oberst), so I guess they did their research from McCunnen.
    If you do 1 with a Fokker green nose, and one with a yellow one, you can have a "what if Voss wasn't shot down plane"
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

What, like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I built a Revel Vos triplane back in the 60s that was sky-blue (much like your D7s colour, herr Oberst), so I guess they did their research from McCunnen.
    If you do 1 with a Fokker green nose, and one with a yellow one, you can have a "what if Voss wasn't shot down plane"
    Karl
    True, the one with yellow nose are more my liking. Maybe I have to paint them both in honour of Werner Voss.

What, like this?

I supose so. I love them both, but the pink one realy catch the eye.

A little to pink for my taste , but nicely done are both. What is the colour of the other one?

The other one is silver, in the markings of my Germanic alter ego, "The Black Hand"

The other one is silver, in the markings of my Germanic alter ego, "The Black Hand"
    Are they repaints or shapeway?

Repaints, from before the days of Shapeways, and purchased back in the days when you could get a Dr.1 for 7 quid

Those were the days

Exclamation

Just a bit more info on Voss' Fokker.
    The two prototypes sent to MvR & Voss were apparently (according to current research info) streaked blue/green with maybe a slight silver sheen from the Dope applied, hence McCudden's report.
    You will note that NONE of the 56 Sqd combatents mentioned a Yellow cowling! Which if fitted should have been noticed & mentioned by somebody as they regularly mentioned colours in their reports. E.G. "Greentail".

However it is a remote possability that at some stage before this combat Voss did fly this Aircraft with a Yellow cowling, yellow being the Jasta ID colour.
    It has been reported that cowlings had to be changed due to combat damage or damage from the rather unreliable rotary engines being fitted.
    So if you really want to have a yellow cowling "go for it"!

The production Dr. 1's were of course painted in a Greenish/Brown streaky finish which we all know well from profile pics.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Just a bit more info on Voss' Fokker.
    The two prototypes sent to MvR & Voss were apparently (according to current research info) streaked blue/green with maybe a slight silver sheen from the Dope applied, hence McCudden's report.
    You will note that NONE of the 56 Sqd combatents mentioned a Yellow cowling! Which if fitted should have been noticed & mentioned by somebody as they regularly mentioned colours in their reports. E.G. "Greentail".

However it is a remote possability that at some stage before this combat Voss did fly this Aircraft with a Yellow cowling, yellow being the Jasta ID colour.
    It has been reported that cowlings had to be changed due to combat damage or damage from the rather unreliable rotary engines being fitted.
    So if you really want to have a yellow cowling "go for it"!

The production Dr. 1's were of course painted in a Greenish/Brown streaky finish which we all know well from profile pics.
    Thank you very much. Very intresting information indeed. It would be intresting hobbyproject to paint all variants of Werner Voss Fokker Dr1

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

If you`r doing a Voss F1/Dr1 dont forget the `Franz Josef` mostache on the cowling.
    If you paint it on a green nose it looks ok, on a yellow background it dosn`t show up so well!

As I understand it, the arguement for the yellow nose/tail is that for most of its service life Voss`s plane was just painted in a factory scheme with the `face` painted on the front of the (green) cowling but the nose and tail got a yellow `Jasta` paintjob shortly before he was shot down.
    The evidence for this appears to be a still-existing rudder which is claimed to be from Voss`s plane and is clearly painted yellow.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 01-09-2012 at 06:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    The evidence for this appears to be a still-existing rudder which is claimed to be from Voss`s plane and is clearly painted yellow.
    Over on The Aerodrome, they claim that proof was shown that that rudder was not from Voss' plane, but I don't recall what the proof was.

I did my Voss F1 in the yellow nose as i intend to field the Jasta in games where I can fly the unit.. and I like the Yellow noses of the Jasta 10 crates.. still need to paint on the mustache and eyes though.. lol.. I will also have his Pfalz from that unit as well.. he was the C.O. of it for a while .. may even paint that tail yellow one day too or do another when the reissue comes out..