Ares Games

View Poll Results: Where do you do most of your flying?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only play at home with family and friends

97 57.74%
  • I play at the LGS, but there is not formal group/club

15 8.93%
  • I belong to a group/club at the LGS

9 5.36%
  • I belong to a group/club independent from an LGS

47 27.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Airfield do you sortie from?

Default What Airfield do you sortie from?

I know this is part of the forum profile, but just curious where most people are playing?

Unfortunately I do not have an active group in my community although I am going to attempt to get one going since the LGS sells the game. So far the majority of my games are on the home front with family and friends with an occassional pick up sortie at the LGS in an attempt to recruit new pilots.

My plan it to launch a concerted recruiting effort by posting a flyer at the LGS and be there at set times to fly with anyone that shows.

If you are a member of a group feel free to post anyinformation about it:
    How it was organized: LGS sponsored or individuals?
    Size: How many pilots show each event on average?
    Frequency: how often do you meet?
    Standings: does your group do any tracking or award prizes?

I welcome any input as I attempt to put togehter a new group/club.
    Last edited by afilter; 01-14-2010 at 07:42.

My LGS had a large scattered group of players. I brought them all together under my Knights of the Air campaign. At the height of the war we had 14 players showing up. We average about 4 on a pick up game night.

I made these posters and flier and placed them at my LGS. The flier was printed on 5x7 photo paper and the posters on 13x19 photo paper. The big posters were quite impressive!

If you get me your details, I can make files for your events as well.
    Attached Images

Wow, your posters look great!

I appreciate your offer and I will keep it in mind. Probably not going that big right way.

My initial plan is to sell it as a historical miniature game night:

Wings of War (WWI & WWII)
    War at Sea
    Axis and Allies minis

I have had a small group for War at Sea (4-6) in the past. My thinking is to introduce a variety of games and rotate to generate new interest and see what people like or let them propose other options.

I have more than enough of all of the above to support a group with multiple games going at once if people do not have their own yet.

Those posters are very well done. Big Kudos; they look great.

I voted Club independent of Local Game Store. I run a games club that is hosted at our house. It has been working very well. If a couple of the events get any more people involved, I may have to look at a larger venue.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Fantastic posters. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thanks guys. My offer to make posters for your group goes for everyone. I can also make them in smaller sizes if you need them.

I mainly play at my house with friends and family. the Closes LGS is 45minutes away with the next being around and hour and a quarter away.

I am going to try and get some games with a few of the other kiwi lads soon but work keeps on interfering with that.

Cheers
    GW

I'm part of a campaign at my LGS - love it!

Is there the basic posters in the file section? I didn't see them. If so I could download and add info using photo-shop. Those are really nicely done. Excellent job.

Tom

Tom, they are not up in the files section. I'll try and get them up there this weekend for those that want to edit them on their own. I'm not sure what the file sizes are, so I might have to "force" them some how since the File system will only handle 2MB files

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

Pardon my ignorance but what is an LGS?

Quote Originally Posted by DAKorps View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what is an LGS?
    LGS= Local Game Store

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

I play at the Liverpool Wargames Association, an independent Games Club established in 1971.

We have 2500 Sq Feet of space in Liverpool City Centre with 12 Gaming tables, 2 6x8, 1 12x8 and 9 6x4 ft tables.

We have about Forty Members and about 20 people who come as non-members.

Default BrisWingsofWar Western Front Campaign 1917-1918

Back in March 2009 I started a WW1 campaign in Brisbane, Australia - here's the blurb from the front page of http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/briswingsofwar :

This group has been established to facilitate and coordinate the conduct of Wings of War campaign games for players in the Brisbane metropolitan area.

As of 29/3/09 we are playing a Wings of War 1917-1918 Western Front Campaign. The campaign progresses month by month with real time March 2009 being played as March 1917, April 2009 as April 1917, and so on. The campaign will conclude in November 2010 (November 1918 game calendar).

Players generate pilot personas in the 'database' section who fly with Royal Flying Corps (RFC) squadrons or Luftstreitkräfte (German Air Force) Staffeln. You can choose to fly a single seat fighter or pilot a two seater aircraft. Each player can generate and play more than one pilot, and even field pilots on both sides if they wish (not at the same time though!). Pilots will progress using a custom campaign ruleset which is uploaded to the files section.

The standard Wings of War rules have also been uploaded to the files section.

Good luck chaps, or Hals und Beinbruch mein Herrn!

Moderator: Carl Rohweder

Playing Venues:
    Fastbreak Sports 1 Chapel Street Nundah, Tuesday nights from 6pm.
    Brisbane Independent Gamers Serbian Hall Vulture St South Brisbane, every 2nd Sunday of the month from 9.30am.
    QLD Dragons Wargames Club at the Toowong Bowls Club Gailey Road Taringa, every 3rd Sunday of the month from 9.30am.
    Underworld Games 201 Brisbane Street Ipswich, times vary.

As we are approaching the halfway point of the campaign we have 126 players on the books. We have generated about 650 pilots of which 450 or so are still operational, with 200 killed or taken prisoner so far. We have flown 380 missions consisting of 1500+ individual sorties. The highest scoring ace (a German) has almost 50 victories, but more than 25 pilots have so far scored 5 or more kills. Each mission is reported on the yahoo group and the results entered into a campaign results record.

When we started the campaign Wings of War in Brisbane was pretty much an unknown. It was our intention to 'grow' the game, and now it is pretty much a staple with many local wargaming clubs and gaming shops.

'Dawn of WW2' is in a similar position to 'Wings of War' back then, rarely played at wargaming clubs in Brisbane. Later this year our group will run WW2 mini-campaigns starting with the Battle of France, then the Battle of Britain, the Mediterranean, Russia, etc. The campaigns will be linked - players can field pilots surviving one campaign in the next.

Hopefully we can be as successful in 'growing' the WW2 game in Brisbane as we were with its WW1 cousin.

Cheers,

Carl.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

I play at home with friends and am currently trying to entice them to try out a mini campaign... am looking at about 4 sessions per side where each will influence a future session depending on performance.

Great posters btw

Fahnenjunker

Default Gaming locations

I belong to a group of wargames junkies called the Fawcett Avenue Conscripts, who play a wide variety of periods and scales. Check out the group blog at http://wpggamegeeks.blogspot.com/ for an idea of just how varied our interests are.

Within that group is a sub-group of Wings of War enthusiasts, and while we mostly play at each others homes, we occasionally put on games at the LGS that stocks the WoW minis

The group I game with meets on Tuesday nights at a LGS, and is made up of a consistent group of about 7 regulars, and an additional 3-5 almost weekly participants.

At the end of each nights gaming as we gather in parking lot before heading home, we have a quick discussion as to what game will be played the following week. There are so many of us who run such a variety of miniature based games and rules, that we rarely play the same genre, or rules set a second time, until there have been about 10 - 12 weeks (or more )intervening during which we had been playing a variety of other miniature games in between.

You're more than welcome to use the flier template I created as well. It's in the files section and works equally well for recruiting and advertising your group.

Here's a sample of how I used it (the red text isn't present in the template).

Just seen the posters for the first time. Are they down loadable? I would love to have them up at the back of our games table.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have introduced WoW to Gobstyks and there is a small following amongst the predominantly GW/Magic the Gathering community.

As the club is based in Lincoln, there is an above average association with and an awareness of the RAF, so I ran a Battle of Britain campaign using DoW with 1:600 miniatures, which averaged 8-10 players a week.

I have since introduced WoW, which has a regular 3-4 players with the odd drop in player, though other organised GW campaigns draw more. We get several onlookers who still haven't taken to the air yet, but I'm confident they will soon.

There has been a return to DoW through the 'addiction' of one of the other gamers who has bought the Deluxe set and Series 1 miniatures. (I'm not sure whether he thanks me or not for that... )

I'll look to highlight the Gobstyk airfiled in the LGS...

The meeting is on a Thursday 1800-2200 with the usual first week free...

http://www.gobstyks.co.uk/

If you're local or just passing by, let me know via PM and I'll make sure you're welcomed with open arms

Col Hajj

Would there be any chance I could use your posters for the Time of Aces tournament I'm hoping to to run in Cardiff later this year? I was going to make my own but came across this thread and the ones you've done are much better than anything I could ever come up with (sincere compliment, not just because I'm one the scrounge - honest!!)

Thumbs up

I agree with the posts here that your set of Poster look great.

Sounds like there is a good following in Liverpool, and lots of action going on.

Keep up the good work chaps, and presumably some chapesses!

Lucky.

Keith

Is the offer still open for posters as detailed above or have I missed the files in the downloads section?

I am planning a WoW campaign at my local games club and a fantastic poster like yours would drum up more interest that something I could come up with.

Thanks

We (Hunter and I) only play at home, but there is a LGS very close to my home that I would like to give a try. My only problem is that there aren't many WOW players that frequent the shop (according to the guys that work there).

Maybe it's time you changed all that, Scott.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Default from ronald

but we like to play with big groups

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Maybe it's time you changed all that, Scott.
    Rob.
    I'm trying, Rob. I've been sending invites out to my PA squadron mates who are local to try and set up some Saturday evening games, but I'm not getting any responses. I'll be posting an Aerodrome flyer there soon and hopefully any WOW players at the store will join up.

Default from ronald

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I'm trying, Rob. I've been sending invites out to my PA squadron mates who are local to try and set up some Saturday evening games, but I'm not getting any responses. I'll be posting an Aerodrome flyer there soon and hopefully any WOW players at the store will join up.
    where? is it me and joe would like to play if it's not to far

Keith, love the posters! The boys and I would like to get 13x19 copies from you; mainly for the art. We'd add our own slogans after receipt...or maybe just hang them as they are. Would you accomodate us? Thanks! Walt Let me know what I can do to compensate you.

I have some plans to start up a game night at the college here in Ada. I'm working with the administrator of public relations so as to also include the high school students as well. As soon as I get some dates set in stone I would love to use these posters to promote the campaign. Those posters look great. Can you also put our web site on the bottom as well?

Tom

Default Play

I do both play with large group and with friends.

I'm an at home with family and friends kinda guy.

Keith to get some for the GTA WoW Dayin Toronto on February 26th. I'll send you the information via PM. Thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    You're more than welcome to use the flier template I created as well. It's in the files section and works equally well for recruiting and advertising your group.

Here's a sample of how I used it (the red text isn't present in the template).

Sparty that is a very sharp poster. I am thinking of introducing WoW at my school during quiet indoor lunch activity days (I'm an elementary school teacher). This would most certainly get them excited about it. Are you able to share the file so the text can be modified to suit the event(s)?

Being the Columbus Flight Leader I am in the process of forming the official group at mY FLGS, and eventually others here in town. As Stitch would say: "It is small, but it is good..."
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Users Country Flag

Name
    stefaan
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    My LGS had a large scattered group of players. I brought them all together under my Knights of the Air campaign. At the height of the war we had 14 players showing up. We average about 4 on a pick up game night.

I made these posters and flier and placed them at my LGS. The flier was printed on 5x7 photo paper and the posters on 13x19 photo paper. The big posters were quite impressive!

These posters are superb! If you could post them somewhere in the future as mentioned, I would be very thankfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post

Hello Keith, could you make me some of these with the day being Monday and start time of 5pm. I'm going to be starting a gaming campaign at a local shop here in Ada. I would love to put up posters and if the location changes I will just have to move the posters. I will be making fliers to put up at the school and college.

Also is it alright to post the forum address on the fliers?

Thanks
    Tom

Which font did you use for the poster?

Working to start a group in Calgary Cochrane area . So at present play at home.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

All the posters are cool. We play at Tabletop Games in Overland Park, Kansas on tuesday nights....

Although I primarily play at home with family and friends, I still enjoy the occasional session at my local game shop. The trouble is, most of the folks at my LGS are divided into three factions: Warhammer 40k, Magic The Gathering, and D&D. People do enjoy the odd board-game, but as far as miniatures are concerned, everyone seems to lean heavily on Games Workshop side of the fence.

I've been wargaming off and on since I was knee high to an Airfix kit (1s 6d from Woolworths), and I'm a member of the Valley Miniatures Confederation which is a fancy, glorified name for a small friendly group of gamers here in Virginia. Someone brought WoW to the club one night and we all had so much fun I immediately bought a copy of Famous Aces and a couple of miniatures.......two weeks later I set up the first game with my Nemesis and she enjoyed it too. We then visited friends and introduced them and now every time we get together, we take to the war torn skies over the kitchen table!
    I also found another local player through this site and we have regular games, usually at his place and have run the game at the club again since. Thinking of running a mini campaign here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
    I've been wargaming off and on since I was knee high to an Airfix kit (1s 6d from Woolworths), and I'm a member of the Valley Miniatures Confederation which is a fancy, glorified name for a small friendly group of gamers here in Virginia. Someone brought WoW to the club one night and we all had so much fun I immediately bought a copy of Famous Aces and a couple of miniatures.......two weeks later I set up the first game with my Nemesis and she enjoyed it too. We then visited friends and introduced them and now every time we get together, we take to the war torn skies over the kitchen table!
    I also found another local player through this site and we have regular games, usually at his place and have run the game at the club again since. Thinking of running a mini campaign here too.
    Now that's a testimonial for Family, LGS and the Forum...

Tom

I play only at home, solo, with family or with friends, never belonged to any group.
    Thanks

Nick

I am in a solo campaign, 2 PBEM games,(ran one and will do more when the ones I am in are over) run games at conventions whenever I can, rarely get play with local friends, no LGS, do get to play with/against my wife.

Other than one game last year, I've done solo games and Skype. So, this poll is a pass for me.

Ooops! Necro-thread!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-14-2014 at 21:34. Reason: Old Thread, or what?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

I fly with the "Couch Pilots" in Portland, OR almost weekly.

I do most of my flying with Aerodrome members at conventions around he country (8 this year!), and occasionally at my local wargames club.
    No LGS, unfortunately.
    If I ever get my wargames table cleared of piles of wargames stuff I intend to start some solo missions at home.

LOOP

I'm a lonewolf. Playing all by my self Well most of the time. I have the ocational game with my kids (when they feel like it. They don't do that that often now a days ) Was part (sort if...) of a WoG-club but they were over 100 km away and played very irregular so I wasn't able to maintain that So all that's left is me, myself and I
    Last edited by LOOP; 06-27-2016 at 06:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. My First Air Sortie in WWI
    By Papavader in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 21:10
  2. Japanese attack on US airfield
    By krolik in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 22:28