Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Wooden Wonder' to fly again!

I have that problem with videos also. You have to change a setting to get it to play. It was a news report about the progress of the plane. Looks good.

What video reader do you use?
    Maybe if you change to another reader you can see the videos.
    Did you tried VLC?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    What video reader do you use?
    Maybe if you change to another reader you can see the videos.
    Did you tried VLC?
    Never had a problem with videos until this one Quim. Must just be something incompatible that my firewall is blocking for some reason.
    Rob.

Strange. Have you checked if you have all the video codecs you need?

I find the video plays for several seconds, and I then need to click on it again, for it to run for another few seconds. Every other video I have downloaded or viewed plays fine. I am quite happy to live without having to find a codec for this one item to run.

iain1815

As an Update. I have seen (in my day job) a business case for a Mosquito to return to flight in the UK! I have been told I'll be doing the staff work for it over the next 2 years. (yikes). Who knows if and when it will happn but I'm up for the challenge. I have been told an airframe has all ready been identified.

Now does anyone know the structural integrity of 70 year old balsa wood?.........Please?...... No takers?,,,,,,Oh B***s.

Iain,
    Great news for enthusiasts; not quite so for those who will have to navigate the staffwork through licensing requirements and the post Haddon-Cave mire! Is it a Duxford rebuild or an import?
    BofB
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 08-12-2012 at 12:16.

Iain

That a interesting project to work on. There are 30 Mossy`s in Museums but they will never fly again. Warbirdrestoration did a non flying Mossy for a Museum in their neck of the woods. Like the plane being currently restored they had a basket case to start with. That means all the metal bits, they had to build the molds to form the birch plywood parts. There are two or three being restored to flying condition right now world wide!

Rich

iain1815

It's going to be an import. From an unlikely source. I am afraid I can't say anymore. (So sorry). It my never happen but the work is just at the very begining and like all things money talks. So the ground work will see if it's possible, Engineering and aircrew is difficult but not beyond avalible resources. The really, really hard part will be the finance. (As always).

Quote Originally Posted by iain1815 View Post
    The really, really hard part will be the finance. (As always).
    Oh yeah!

Have been away since last Thursday and catching up. Yes I know that would be a very intresting plane to see and would draw crowds of people. Will keep up and see if there is anything else. Oh to win Power Ball and go to NZ.

http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/mus...aufighter.aspx

I believe they are also restoring a Bristol Fairchild Bolingbroke, a Canadian version of a Bristol Blenheim Mk IV.

Default Can't imagine this is true, but...

Due to delamination problems with wooden aircraft in humid, tropical environments I think it pretty implausible, but never say never, especially with a dream like this:

From Wiki:

'Two additional aircraft are currently under restoration to fly by Avspecs Ltd, at Ardmore, New Zealand.[146]

'The last airworthy Mosquito, a T3 RR299 G-ASKH "HT-E", was destroyed in an airshow accident at Barton, Manchester, England, on 21 July 1996, in which both aircrew were killed. In 1959 RR299 was based at Exeter Airport serving in the CAACU (Civilian Anti-aircraft Cooperation Unit) located there. There are approximately 30 non-flying examples around the world with several under restoration. The largest collection of Mosquitos is at the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre, which owns three aircraft. Mosquito FB.26 KA114, built in Canada in 1945, has been a long term restoration project at Avspecs in New Zealand. This aircraft finally flew again on 27th September 2012 and will be exported to the USA on completion of the flight test program.

'In addition there are unconfirmed reports beginning to circulate that one or more crated, unassembled, zero hour aircraft have been recovered from the excavations in Myanmar (Burma) initially launched to recover Supermarine Spitfires believed buried. The rumours include DH Mosquito, Hawker Hurricane and Supermarine Spitfires in transit to the UK in August 2012.[citation needed]'

Fingers crossed and praying hard!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 09-28-2012 at 14:54.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Due to delamination problems with wooden aircraft in humid, tropical environments I think it pretty implausible, but never say never, especially with a dream like this:

From Wiki:
    *******Snipped**********************
    'In addition there are unconfirmed reports beginning to circulate that one or more crated, unassembled, zero hour aircraft have been recovered from the excavations in Myanmar (Burma) initially launched to recover Supermarine Spitfires believed buried. The rumours include DH Mosquito, Hawker Hurricane and Supermarine Spitfires in transit to the UK in August 2012.[citation needed]'

Now that is wonderful news Balders.
    Look forward to any updates.

Due to delamination problems with wooden aircraft in humid, tropical environments I think it pretty implausible,
    Easily solved -- move it up to Reno, NV, and run it in the Nat'l Championship Air Races. :)

Very interesting thread, it would appear to me that there are now more resteration projects on the go (rebuilds or orginals) than there has been at any other time over the last few years.

Smile

Gentleman

Our good friend KiwiAce sent me a link last night. Watch and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEyDlgJYIF8

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post

Watch and enjoy!
    I did and I did.
    Thanks Richard.
    Rob.

Smile

Rob

I went with the understatement on that one! A beautiful site! Alan told me he has more footage he is working on.

Rich

From Wiki:

'Two additional aircraft are currently under restoration to fly by Avspecs Ltd, at Ardmore, New Zealand.[146]

'The last airworthy Mosquito, a T3 RR299 G-ASKH "HT-E", was destroyed in an airshow accident at Barton, Manchester, England, on 21 July 1996, in which both aircrew were killed. In 1959 RR299 was based at Exeter Airport serving in the CAACU (Civilian Anti-aircraft Cooperation Unit) located there. There are approximately 30 non-flying examples around the world with several under restoration. The largest collection of Mosquitos is at the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre, which owns three aircraft. Mosquito FB.26 KA114, built in Canada in 1945, has been a long term restoration project at Avspecs in New Zealand. This aircraft finally flew again on 27th September 2012 and will be exported to the USA on completion of the flight test program.

Today I received the weekly newsletter of Flying; there was an article about the Spiftires in Myanmar. This is the link to the online version:

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/start-...MjA2MTcxMjM3S0

It's an updated on the article published in April

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-plac...a-be-excavated

Attilio

Great news Attilio.
    This is the other reference to it which I have answered.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...669#post174669
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-19-2012 at 03:14.

For a pilot's- (or at least nav's)-eye view of 'the office' in KA114 try http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...OsoB8&vq=large. Absolutely awesome!

Baldrick

Thank you for sharing! I saw this one recently. That is one beautiful bird! I talked to the owner of the Military Aviation Museum last month. KA114 should be at museum some time in March. Hopefully she will be in the air for the May WW2 airshow at the museum!

Rich
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 09:44.

That was the next best thing to actually being in a Mozzi. I don't often say awesome. but this fits the bill exactly in this case.
    The speed of the takeoff and climb rate was quite unexpected.
    Thanks Balders.
    Rob.

A real flying Mosquito will be worth seeing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12