Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Wooden Wonder' to fly again!

Default 'Wooden Wonder' to fly again!

The restoration of a flyable de Havilland Mosquito is on track for completion in spring 2012. It may appear on the UK airshow circuit in 2012 (eyes out for Flying Legends at Duxford!?!) before going to the States permanently.
    Now this I'd really like to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DH98 Mosquito.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	30569

For more info: http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-11-24_mosquito.asp
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 07-07-2012 at 10:00. Reason: Finally got the bl**dy picture to attach!

Fingers crossed

that will be so good to see.

Since it was plywood all you need is the engines.

I want my Beaufighter. :)

I will keep an eye open for it then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Every restored aircraft legend is a good one and especially the de Havilland Mosquito is one I really like to see! But I always wonder how people can restore an aircraft, which came as a wrack, so successful! Hats off for their magnificant mechanical skills!

Love that plane... I can see I'm going to have to make a trip to that museum in VA sometime in the future. I think my WWI reenactor friends do an event there every year. Maybe I'll go in civilian attire...

And... what's the video from? Is that cgi?

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I want my Beaufighter.
    Me too!
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thats going to be awesome to see flying again.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I want my Beaufighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Me too!
    You mean like this one?

Name:	209 DAP Beaufighter 21.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	30684

Beaufighter Mk.II currently under restoration at IWM Duxford.

Name:	210 DAP Beaufighter 21.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	30683

Check out the beaufighter thread at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...411#post115411
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 01-05-2012 at 14:28.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    And... what's the video from? Is that cgi?
    Amazingly, apparently it is CGI; but this one isn't!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGwf...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Beaufighter Mk.II currently under restoration at IWM Duxford.
    WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT

Getting closer!

Following extensive restoration over the last 8 years, the de Havilland Mosquito FB26 KA 114 will fly later this year!

This is a truly significant event in the annals of aircraft restoration as this Mosquito will be the only one in the world, currently, able to fly!!

On Saturday 29 September 2012, at Ardmore Airport the de Havilland Mosquito Launch Spectacular will take place from 9am – 4pm.

http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows/...?sh=MOSQUITO12

AMAZING,incredable amount of work involved.hats off to them.

Thumbs up

Everyone here in Virginia Beach are waiting for the Mosquito to make it`s first flight!!! I May attended the Military Aviation Museum WW2 Air Show.. The Museums owner was asked about the progress on the Mosquito. His answer was it was 95% finished. He then added the last 5% always took the longest. He has several planes at a high level of completion around the world! The list starts at a ME-109E7, a P-39, A FW-190 and a KI-61. The P-39 was at 80% two years ago!

Rich

Richard, I am looking at going to the WWI event in Sept. The wife wants to go down on Friday and spend the night. I am not familiar with the area so any tips on a good place to stay?

Bob!
    I am very unfamiliar with the VB Hotel scene! I will tell you this Atlantic Avenue the first street off the beach turns into General Booth Blvd. You drive down General Booth take a left on Princess Anne Rd and the museum six or seven miles down Princess Anne Rd on the right! I will ask a coworker on Monday, she lives not far from the Ocean Front and will have an idea or two!

Rich

Thanks much Richard. Are you going to Historicon? If so look forward to meet you and others there.

Bob

Unfortunately i have no plans to go to Historicon! If i do make it up there it will be a Saturday day trip. Besides the earth might stop if i did go, it has been 21 years since my last Historicon! That my have been in Camp Hill!!!!

Rich

I think Camp Hill was my first. I try to make at least one of the Cons Cold Wars/Historicon/Fall IN. I get together with a very old friend and we spend the day together just roaming the dealers area. Have a good time just walking around and seeing things. Some of the games are unbeleiveable. I remember one year there was a Market-Garden game. I did play in a Boxer Rebellion game that was HUGE. Just a day to relax and be with a good friend.

The Market Garden Game was a group of friends of mine from Boston. That was quite an undertaking but they made it very playable and fun.

I dug out all of my books on the "Wooden Wonder". What an amazing aircraft. Are there any Hudsons around?

Quote Originally Posted by Mveeder View Post
    The Market Garden Game was a group of friends of mine from Boston. That was quite an undertaking but they made it very playable and fun.

I dug out all of my books on the "Wooden Wonder". What an amazing aircraft. Are there any Hudsons around?
    Here in Australia, it flew recently at Temora.

Name:	Hudson04.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	52134

Name:	Hudson05.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	52135

Name:	Hudson03.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	52136

First model I ever built. I beleive it was a matchbox kit. Thanks for the pictures!!!!!

a little embarassed about my late night spelling.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Here in Australia, it flew recently at Temora.

Name:	Hudson04.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	52134

Name:	Hudson05.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	52135

Name:	Hudson03.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	52136
    Nice! They have some great aircraft at Temora including a Spit.

Good news about the Mossie & the Beau!

The Mossie and the P38 Lightning - sigh! My two favourite aircraft...
    Bumblie3

Bob

I have forgotten my first national Convention. It may have been one at Wildner College back in the late 70`s. Somewhere i have a my prize for taking the Alamo. We took the place early in the second turn a record at the time!

Rich

I remember the games that Duze Ziegfield (?) would run. I just enjoy seeing the effort others put into their gaming. One year I remember the Battle of Alecia which looked fantastic.

Duke Siegfried i remember well! He owned the Tin Solider in Dayton in the 70`s, he ran games at the local Ohio Conventions. I also remember the Battle of Alecia set up that was impressive!
    The Camp Hill Con are a blur now but i still remember the my last game on that last Sunday morning. It was a huge WW1 air game. I had signed up and finally had a opening as players came and went. There were 20 or 30 players on a 8 x 20 table, i had watched two games waiting my chance. My friend had driven up and wanted to leave, i told him let me get one kill and we were on the road. The sides and planes were decided, i think i had an Albatross. All experienced players were asked to help any new players. I had never played the rules but i had played plenty of 3D flight games. I was asked to take a total novice as my wing man and show him what to do.
    I explained all the basics about moving elevation and maneuvers. I gave him his best advice, follow me do exactly what i do. His reward would be his first kill. We started at the highest altitude allowed. From the start i he kept telling me about planes he wanted to attack. My reply was patience, that i had already had picked our victims. Follow my moves and do not stray. After about five turns i had my pigeons lined up. I plotted a shallow turn and dive, bingo i hit my victim at long range. My wing man had turned the opposite direction and a steep dive. The next turn i flamed my target and made for the map edge. My wing man was in the middle of four enemy planes and in trouble. I had put a pot shot into the wing man of the plane i had shot down. He was heading off toward his edge of his map and got the kill on my former wing man! My former wing man was mad, i had abandoned him? The guy i shot down told him to be quite. Had he done what i had, he might have a kill also.
    After the game i had a quick conversation with my victim. He told me thought we were heading for planes that my wing man had attacked. That he was doing the same thing i was stalking his victims and looking out of trouble. He saw my wing man make his turn and missed mine. Yes my former wing man was still ranting, he was going to be in the next game and could no find a wing man!!!!!

Rich

The Dukes games are legendary

My Father and I knew Duke very well.
    Our opinion was that he was alot of fun to be around but keep your hand on your wallet!
    He was always coming up with new schemes to invest other peoples' money in.

Jim

This must be a strong contender for the greatest amount of 'thread creep'; from WW2 aircraft restoration to wargames conventions past, via a Romano-Gallic battle fought in 52BC!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 07-09-2012 at 14:09.

Forgive me for I may be the one that started the side track by asking about the WWI event in Va Beach in Sept. Richard lives in the area and I was asking info about the event and talked about other things so back on track.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Back on track - the "MOSSY" is the rage!

Tucked away in Hertfordshire, not far from where de Havilland was based, there's what used to be the Mosquito Museum, now called the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre.

http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havi...eritage_Centre

And it may be of interest to Mosquito and DH aficionados that there's a special event in just over a month's time, on 18th August, celebrating the 70th anniversary of the pathfinders.

http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/Pathfinders2012.html

I keep meaning to visit the place; I've driven past the signs numerous times (and wouldn't have known about the place myself otherwise).

The Vampire: WANT.

I heard that GOOGLE is teaming up with the Smithstonian for a 360 tour of all there buildings

Terry!

I wait impatiently to see her fly! If you follow the link, you will find the restorer of the Mosquito. You will find it in the current project area.There is a month by month progress! Also check out the past projects, the museums P-40E and Dragon Rapide another wooden wonder!

Rich

http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/

I also heard that the VULCAN that had trouble is now back on line. Do you think we may get a Wings Misquetto?

No Bob, I think this is the only Mossie restoration thread we have running. Please award your research assistant some red M&Ms for finding the update! I guess it won't be doing the UK airshow circuit this year after all.

Hope it was of some information about the Mossie. I hope I could get the chance to see such a historic plane fly. I am glad he turned me on to the aircraft. I didn't know about this before but now hooked. Next weekend I have told him about a armor display in Virginia. % of us are going to that. May fulfill another dream. First was the ride in the B-17 and I may get to sit in a M4 Sherman and other tanks that day. I did get him a bag of peanut M&M's which don't last very long. Jelly Beans also seem to go fast. Both are very addicitive. You know I post any info I get about planes so others can see what is happening.

Bob

Great find! That means some day i will be able to take lots of Photos of her!

Rich

Ticketek NZ is still selling tickets for 29 Sep, so fingers crossed there are no significant snags between now and then.

The article was very interesting thanks Bob.
    For some strange reason I could not get the video to run.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast