Ares Games

Thread: Hansa Brandenburg W12 by Colinwe

Default Hansa Brandenburg W12 by Colinwe

I think this is new have lost track and can't find a previous post.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/42619...ml?gid=sg91179

Default Hansa-Brandenburg W.12

Again, we're spoiled for choice now that multiple manufacturers make this neat little seaplane.

There's not too much scope for variation in overall colour scheme:

The document that controlled the camouflage finish of German Naval Aircraft was the Allgemeine Baubestimmungen für Seeflugzeuge der Kaiserlichen Marine, (ABB) General Construction Requirements for Seaplanes of the Imperial Navy. dated 3 April 1917. The ABB specifically detailed all aspects of the aircraft, airframe, engines, propeller, radiators, instruments, armaments, acessories, hardware, fabric, protective varnishes finish painting and marking details. This document was establish by the See-Flugzeug Versuchs Kommando, (SVK) sea Plane Testing Command. The SVK was subodinate to the Reich Marine Amt (RMA) Imperial Marine Office, Admiralty.
    The ABB required:
    1. Black Iron Cross surrounded by a 5cm white border.
    2. Black Navy number painted on part of the aircraft. The black Iron cross painted on the upper surface of the upper wing and on the under surface of lower wing and on both sides of the fuslage and rudder.
    3. All surfaces when viewed from above, including the upper surfaces of the upper and lower wings, tailplane, the tops of the fuselage and floats painted in hexagons, 15cm on the side, 30 cm in diameter in three colors, grey-blue, grey-violet and grey-brown.
    4. All surfaces from the side, the fuselage, rudder, floats and all struts painted grey-blue.
    5. All surfaces when viewed from below painted light grey.
    6. The fabric surfaces were to remain their natural color.
    The ABB was revised in April 1918 when the SVK. introduced the three color printed fabric in irregular hexagons measuring 15.5 x 20 cm skewed 5 degrees in the filling direction in three colors grey-blue, grey-violet and grey-brown. The ABB required the surfaces when viewed from above, the upper surfaces of the upper and lower wings, tailplane and the tops of the fuselage and floats to be covered with the 3 color printed fabric .
    All surfaces of the fuselage, struts and floats when viewed from the side were grey-blue.
    All surfaces when viewed from below were painted light blue, this included the wings and tailplane, however, it stated the fabric surfaces could remain their natural color.
    However, personal markings were regularly added, and these can make quite a difference.

Christiansen's machine with his personal markings he later used on a W.29.

Now that I've done enough research to sink a ship on marine hexes - first the hexagonal hand-painted ones before April 1918, then the printed fabric ones with irregular polygons - I can recommend this colour scheme before April 18. Regular, handpainted hexes.

Lance Krieg's machine:

For later machines, this is the cloth used:

Here's a good photo showing that on the W.12, the floats had hexes on them.

I quite like this 4-leaf-clover scheme

Note that apart from the basic W.12, there was the W.12v with a longer fuselage.

It is new! Predecessor to the W.29!

Very useful information again Zoe. I concluded exactly the same as you when i did my Hansas. The Camo pattern will be very handy for those who want to do their own decal prints.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Tanks Zoe useful iformation

Thanks Zoe I knew you would come with the goods on colour schemes

Do we have a card for this plane yet? I think I need to order a few soon!