Ares Games

Thread: Gotha GIV's join the fleet.

Default Gotha GIV's join the fleet.

I received two of these for Christmas, they are Skytrex models and very easy to build. I do have to mention that the instructions were absolute rubbish and were hand drawn on the back of a fag packet, or looked like that. The molds need some work or redone, there is not much flash but some of the details do not stick out or are slightly out along the join. In my research for paint schemes I also noticed that the struts on top of the engines are wrong, they should be two V struts and not the four straight ones you get with the kit, also these need cutting to fit properly, but you need to look at real photos to see where they are intended to go. I also noticed the struts on the tailplane and rudder are not provided. I may add these later from brass wire.

Anyway, here are my two planes from Kagohl 3, the one with red belongs to Ernst Brandenburg, I don't know where this exact scheme came from but he did have a completely red tailed GIII earlier, without the swastika. Brandenburg was the leader of Kagohl 3. The yellow and black striped bomber was flown by Hans Ulrich von Trotha CO of Kasta 15.

Here is an excellent history of the unit now that Gotha's fill the sky. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...owtopic=154095
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0041.JPG   DSCF0042.JPG  

They look great! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice George - they look spiffing!

Excellent job George.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Muito bonito mesmo.

Great looking planes! Very nice job!

Very well done George, and a nice variation on the usual two colour schemes that we get.
    Any chance of a view of the engines from rhe front to show the chaps exactly what you mean by the strut configuration?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Outstanding work George!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Nicely done! I replaced the struts provided, using steel wire instead.

/Jörgen

Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks all. My own modelling skills and lack of patience were not enough for me to attempt to redo the struts so they are as per the kit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotha_G.IV the photo shown here shows how they should be, an upside down V. The kit struts hang down the side of the engine rather than sitting on the top. I didn't realise this until I glued them into place, so at the moment I am stuck with them. But no doubt it will gnaw away at me until I may be forced to do something, but at the moment my Kagohl 3 are ready to take to the air.

Thanks for the response George. That may help to clear up the problem for others.
    Did you have a look at my Skytrex Gotha in the How To section?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

No, I missed it, did a search but not the right one obviously. Anyway I have now gone and cut the struts down, I told you they were weighing on my mind. They are still not so tidy though, part of the problem I think is the wing fit, which I cannot do anything about, as I said they must be an old mold. The new Skytrex stuff is really good.
    Last edited by Belis4rius; 01-02-2012 at 09:52.

Looks good to me. Nice job!

Thumbs up

Great work George!
    Your problem with the kit was my main reason why I gave up on metal & now only buy Shapeways.

they still look the part George and will fly on the table very well I am sure!

Beautifully done

They look great George - Not a fan of Skytrex stuff myself (mostly for the reasons you stated!) but they look spiffing !

"He is wise who watches"

Very nice. They do look good.

Default Brandenburg's G.IV

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Anyway, here are my two planes from Kagohl 3, the one with red belongs to Ernst Brandenburg, I don't know where this exact scheme came from but he did have a completely red tailed GIII earlier, without the swastika. Brandenburg was the leader of Kagohl 3.
    Steve,
    I'm not quite sure what you meant by that, but here's Brandenburg's G.IV apparently in May '17, with the picture used as box art on Roden's 1/72 scale kit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gothag4g.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	30515
    Your kits look great, and Dover should be worried!
    BofB

Very Nice! I'm waiting for mine from Shapeways and I'll post some pics as well when I get them finished.

Great work, George. Neat painting, I quite like the scheme!

Jure

The red scheme with the swastika is shown on the Wingnuts site and I used this as these guys are fanatical about detail, no idea of the original source though, the artwork on model boxes is usually dodgy and needs further research. I looked into the red tail on The Aerodrome and one of the links shows a GIII which is all red from the rear gunner backwards, this is supposed to be Brandenburg's previous plane. There is also an interesting post which states that the green marked Gotha flight leaders should in fact be red, as stated by a note from a KG3 member attached to a photograph. But as usual with these things you have to read as much as you can and eventually come to a decision, I went with the attractive Wingnut interpretation.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ca...d-go-g-iv.html

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/0855F...603DCAD12C9D46
    Last edited by Belis4rius; 01-04-2012 at 01:00.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I noticed something odd about the struts on the Skytrex Gotha when I was building mine, then I worked out what it was. The reason the struts are not inverted v's is because despite being labelled and sold as a GIV on Skytrex's website, the model is actually a GV. Look at the engine nacelles and you'll see that they are the smaller GV type without the fuel tanks underneath. The GV had the upper struts splayed slightly outwards, as supplied with the kit, and there was a gap under the engines whereas the GIV was filled in:

I modified my metal gotha by making resin wings, which makes it a lot more manageable on the gaming table. I also used 1mm styrene rod for all the struts, which is way overscale but makes it a lot stronger than trying to use the bendy metal ones provided. This extreme close-up has not been kind to the lozenge pattern decal, which actually looks OK life size!
    Last edited by Bedlam; 01-06-2012 at 09:55.

Well done that man! Just been checking, you are right, it is a GV. Mind you there is no way I am changing the paint scheme now, sigh.

Like this models. Great work!
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stewart
    Sorties Flown

Great job sir. I like the lack of lozenge paint. I may well 'borrow' your scheme

Stewart