Ares Games

Thread: Need help with information about "Sezione SVA"

Default Need help with information about "Sezione SVA"

How many were there? Dates of forming? How many planes were there in a Sezione?
    I have information on Ansaldo aircraft but not the organization of them. I read that some were used as a anti Zepplin units etc? Any information at all will be helpful.

I summarize some info about date of forming and dislocations.

Main source:

Roberto Gentili - Paolo Varriale I reparti dell'Aviazione Italiana nella Grande Guerra - Aeronautica Militare Ufficio Storico

Alex Mehtidis - Italian and Austro Hungarian Military Aviation On the Italian Front In World War One

It was dediced to form in February 1918 six Sezioni SVA (three already were formed) that was in theory were formed by 6 SVA with narrow wings and six pilots. But the number of SVA and pilots changed during the war, There are a lot of missions, heroisms and losses into the history of these Sezioni.
    SVA planes with wide wings formed two Squadriglie, the first one was the famous 87a.

1a Sezione

Formed at the end of 1917 at Castenedolo , Verona at 1th Army III Gruppo then at Sovizzo XVI Gruppo. In November 1918 was based at Ganfardine with three planes

2a Sezione

Formed at the end of 1917 at Ponte S. Pietro and assigned to XV Gruppo (Truppe degli Altpiani) In January 1918 at Nove, in February 1918 at Castenedolo where reassigned to IX Gruppo in April 1918 was moved to S Pietro in Gų and assigned to
    VII Gruppo. In June 1918 at Pojanella near S Pietro in Gų In October 1918 with 83a Squadriglia formed XXIV Gruppo A new 2a sezione was formed at Ponte S, Pietro in the middle of October, in November was dislocated at Montichiari.

3a Sezione

Formed in January 1918 at Ponte San Pietro and moved in the same month at S. Pelagio. Assigned to II Gruppo at 4th Army was moved to Isola di Carturo. At the end of October,1918 transformed in 57a Sqaudriglia In November 1918 a new 3a Sezione was formede with SVA two-seater at Marcon and after moved at Isola di Carturo. In november at Ganfardine, in Dicember at Cascina. In 1919 at Zaule and at Zemanico (Dalmazia)

4a Sezione

Formed in April 1918 at San Luca - Fossalungga at 8th Army. Transformed in 56a Squadriglia in October, 1918 A new 4a SVA was formed in December 1918 at Isola di Carturo and incorporated into 32a Squadriglia in March 1919

5a Sezione

Formed at Fossalunga in May 1918 and assigne to I Gruppo 3th army Incorporated to 58 Squadriglia in November 1918.

6a Sezione

Formed in May 1918 as a part of IX Gruppo 7th Army at Castenedolo

8a Sezione

Formed in March 1919 at XX Gruppo and dislocated in Wien as a support to Armistice Committee. In Italy at he end of 1919 where released (a really particoular mission after the end of the war)

Sezione Aeroplani per il collegamento con la Cavalleria (for a link with Cavalry Divisions)

Formed after the reformed of Massa da Caccia and Massa da Bomabrdamento in October 1918, wa assigned to "General Staff" with 7 SVA. Incorporated into 58a Squadriglia in November 1918

I don't find any reference about anti-Zeppelin mission by Sezioni. I found a reference for 87a Squadriglia:

"A dedicated aerial reconnaissance unit, the Venice-based 87a Squadriglia, 'La Serenissima,' displaying the Lion of St. Mark on its SVA's, was established in early 1918. This squadron undertook many other long flights along Alpine valleys: Val di Non, Val d'Adige, Passo della Mendola and Valsugana. On May 21, 1918, Two SVAs piloted by Arturo Ferrarin and Antonio Locatelli flew to the German Zeppelin base at Friedrichshafen on Lake Constance, photographed the hangars and returned safely to their base, a distance of 440 miles"
    (from: http://acepilots.com/wwi/ansaldo.html)

I knew I would get some help from my squadron mates. Thank you so much!!!!
    I was missing SVA information about fighters in the Italian front that I'm researching.
    Not reading Italian hurt my research. There is alot more information on Austro-Hungarian Fliks and aircraft then there is about Italian squadrons and aircraft in English. I would of thought it would of been the other way around.
    I got this from a large general information book on fighters. SVA.3 Ridotto ("Reduced") - fast-climbing interceptor variant for anti-Zeppelin defence. Some fitted with additional oblique-firing machine gun
    Built under licence by the AER concern at Orbassano, the S.V.A.3 was a reconnaissance fighter production derivative of the S.V.A. fighter, and essentially similar to the S.V.A.4 built in parallel by the Ansaldo factories at Borzoli and Bolzaneto. In the spring of 1918 a special interceptor version was produced, this having wings of reduced span and area. Known as the S.V.A.3 ridotto (reduced), this model was used primarily for airship interception, and although standard armament remained two synchronised 7.7mm Vickers guns, some examples were fitted with an additional weapon firing upwards at an oblique angle. Power was provided by an SPA6A engine of 220hp.
    Thank again.

I'll search other info If I find something I'll here

Thx you for your interest about this italian aircraft and our history

Attilio

When a was a young man (19) I was in Naples Italy on Christmas in 1975 and again on Christmas in 1995 I remembered how much it had changed in 20 years. I been to Italy many times in between those times and after. I have very fond memories of a great historical country and good food. But, enough ramblings and thanks for the info.

if you're interested in SVA pics and technical data I suggest you to buy Gregory Alegi -Ansaldo SVA5 - Windsock Datafile 40. Alegi is an authority about WWI Italian Aviation history.

Attilio