Ares Games

Thread: Updating the Avatars

Default Updating the Avatars

I'll be updating the Avatars over the next couple of day. Here is a sample of two that I have done so far...

This is what it will look like in a user's post when they have requested and joined either the German or Allied group...

I still have some tweaking to do as the Avatar on the user profile page (top right) breaks the page layout a little in Fire Fox. It looks good in IE though. If anyone is using a different browser, please check costampede's user profile and let me know how it looks. Thanks.

Hope you like the new looks!

I'm on Safari and it's working just fine. Nice work! I'm keeping my Barker portrait, though.

Updated more of them.

Thanks Grant.

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

Just recognized that you even translated the rank to 'Leutnant', that's cool (and quite professional) mate!

Yeah, the German's get the correct ranks... at least I hope I have them all correct.

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

I like your new avatar 'The Hunt'.

Perhaps you recognized allready that I droped my (usual WFB-)avatar, the fantastic group background deserves one of those 'flying' planes.

Which free program do you suggest to play with the avatar? (Paint destroys the shadow)

I'm glad you like the background and plane icons. I've been playing around with my avatar, just trying to come up with some thing cool and different.

I'll be adding more planes as I create them or get them from Andrea. I've also added the new logo up at the top. I like it, but I'm sure it will change sometime in the future.

I think the best free graphics editor out there is GIMP. It allows you to work in layers and will work with PNG type file (what the avatars on this site are saved as). PNG files work much better then GIFs, but older browsers (IE 6 for example) do not support the transparency of the images.

Added more WWI avatars as well. You guys have more Se5a's and I've put up a Snipe and a DvII as well as many others.

Nice to have some WWII avatars too. 109s are sooo beautiful with their shiny yellow noses.

Love the idea with the background for the planes, nicely done

Think I'll need to come up with a "split" avatar to show a DR1 and Bf109 as we play both WWI and WWII

Loki

Very smart - again nice one!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian (Grey)
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by C Stewart View Post
    Think I'll need to come up with a "split" avatar to show a DR1 and Bf109 as we play both WWI and WWII
    I have a hard time deciding, too.

Wow!!! What a scheme!

Working on a personal plane and avatar for a new member. The lastest version of the avatar is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bristol_M1C_AvatarV4.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	145595
    Bristol M1C

This is a best guess of Keith's work, so some adjustment may need to be made.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Me wonders just who this could be for??????

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Working on a personal plane and avatar for a new member. The lastest version of the avatar is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bristol_M1C_AvatarV4.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	145595
    Bristol M1C

This is a best guess of Keith's work, so some adjustment may need to be made.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Mrs.Kyte of course!!!

If I may, how do you put your own avatar in?
    Looks like only a choice of existing ones?
    I have a few "Iron Stars" fighter top downs.
    Paul

Go to settings, and then edit avatar. There's an option for uploading an avatar from your computer.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thank you for updating the avatars, Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Go to settings, and then edit avatar. There's an option for uploading an avatar from your computer.
    Karl
    But we have to be Gold Members right? Because I dont have this option...

am i missing something? there seem to be fewer options including no fokker d7s.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    But we have to be Gold Members right? Because I dont have this option...
    Thanks, that explains why there is no option but basic choice avatars (Basic! Ha! No way I would call them basic).

This is a heavy incident of thread necromancing, gentlemen.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I was kinda ticked off I couldn't upload my own avatar here as I have been doing for 15+ years on discussion boards across the web.

I also admit that the super friendly community, and demonstrated strong support for the game, was what helped my decide to subscribe, so I could support the site but also have some more freedom with my avatar.

On one level I feel really manipulated and annoyed, but on another I recognize that it's probably a good way to ensure at least some level of support for the forum and its surely nontrivial monthly hosting cost. This forum *is* a great resource after all, and it's full of nice people. I've spent money on far worse things.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    This is a heavy incident of thread necromancing, gentlemen.
    Nothing is truly dead on the internet
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie...."

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I was kinda ticked off I couldn't upload my own avatar here as I have been doing for 15+ years on discussion boards across the web.

I also admit that the super friendly community, and demonstrated strong support for the game, was what helped my decide to subscribe, so I could support the site but also have some more freedom with my avatar.

On one level I feel really manipulated and annoyed, but on another I recognize that it's probably a good way to ensure at least some level of support for the forum and its surely nontrivial monthly hosting cost. This forum *is* a great resource after all, and it's full of nice people. I've spent money on far worse things.
    And it was a really hard to choice to make as well

Karl
    And that is why everyone keeps beating the dead horse! lol

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    No, no, no. "What is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger."

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    No, no, no. "What is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger."
    "That which does not kill me has made a serious tactical error"
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.