Ares Games

Thread: Making your own 1/200 planes- How to Guide w/pics

Hybrid View

Default Making your own 1/200 planes- How to Guide w/pics

I have previously posted some of this information in other threads. I thought I would put this togehter in one place as a guide for others that might be interested in aquirining more WWII planes that are not yet available as minis by WoW.

I have searched and the best option I have found for 1/200 planes are the unpainted AIR200 models. I know some shy away from painting their own models, but it really is quite easy even if you currently have little or no modeling experience. In the end it is very economical and rewarding to use something you made.

I purchase mine form a store called "the Last Square" in Madison, WI. They are local for me, but I know they do quite a bit of online business as well.

Link for "The Last Square:
    http://www.lastsquare.com/

Look under historical miniatures -> 1/200 -> Nobel Miniatures -> AIR200

They also have other scales available such as 1/300 which is popular with some.

Prices are very reasonable. A 2 pack of fighters runs $6.99 and a single engine bomber $5.99 for a single plane. If you are not a painter I know they do offer a painting service as well.

I also use the I-95 decals they sell as well.

Here is what I do for my models:

1. Clean them-wash in a soap and water solution to remove any residue from the casting process so paint with stick.

2. Add the antena which is totally optional using a thin piece of styrene cut at and angle and super glued on.

3. Assemble if required. Most require no assembly, but some of the bombers (Val/stuka) require the fixed landing gear to be mounted.

4. Prime the model. Hobby primer is great, but any metal primer will work from the hardware store.

5. Paint to desired scheme. I use acrylic paints as it dries fast, flows well into small details and is easy to clean up. You do not have to use the expensive model acylics either. Many of the paints I use I get in the craft are for less than $1/bottle which lasts a long time.

6. Once completely dry apply decals as desired.

7. Once everything is to your satisfaction apply 1-2 light coats of sealer. I use a spray called Testors "Dull coat". This gives a nice flat military finish and protects the paint and decals. Usually let it dry 30 minutes and then apply the 2nd coat top and bottom.

I can usually paint several planes in an evening and them let them dry overnight.

That is all there is to it!

Here are some pics comparing the AIR200 to WoW models:

The pictures above are using the WoW stands. At first I thought I would make my own stands using the clear acrylic in the first pic. Then I discover Litko flight stands. I now have found that I prefer to use the flight stands made by Litko even over the WoW stands. Thet are sturdy and do not fall apart.

Link to Liko stands and flight accessories:
    http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/AFS

All of my custom planes have a small cicle piece glued to the bottom called a "peg topper" which then easily attaches them to any size Litko peg. They also make a convestion peg topper which allows you to attah the WoW models to the Litko stands whithout any modification.

The only alteration I make to my Litko stands is to glue a peg topper to the base hole making sure it is lines up. I find that this makes the already sturdy stand even more so espeically when using taller 6" pegs.

Here you can see the models on the litko stand and the peg topper on the stand base:

Here is a pic of the WoW models mixed in with my custom models all on the Litko stands( note the conversion "peg topper" on the WoW spitfires in theforeground):

In the end an individual decaled fighter with a complete Litko stand ends up costing me less than $7 once you break down the cost of planes, decals, stands per plane.

Finally some pics of my mixed collection ready for action:

Hopefully you find this helpful.

Aaron

This is a great post and resource, thank you so much for taking the time and effort!

Especialy those two B-17 look majestic. Are you going to makes proppelers?

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Especialy those two B-17 look majestic. Are you going to makes proppelers?
    No plans for props right now. Could be done easy enough possibly even use clear plastic disks to simulate them spinning as I have seen others do.

Primary reason for no props for me is that young hands will handle these for a few more years as I play mostly with my children and like to teach others at the LGS. We had a Zero that was a casualty already this past summer and had to be glued.

One thing I did not mention in the "how to" is making your own decals. I have not done this for my planes, but have for many other projects. I found the 1/285 scale declas and was happy with those as the nations I wanted wre available. If size bothers you or you are looking for a nation that is not readily avialable and you can get a electronic image they are easy enough to make.

Basically purchase blank decal paper clear or white(available from many companies including testors). The big thing here is figuring out if you need white or very light colors you are going to want to use white.

Otherwise you simple size your image and test print on plain paper. Once you have it correct print on the decal paper and let the ink dry completely. The key then it so spray a clear coat on the decal (this seals the ink). There is special decal spay you can buy(expensive) or just use the "dull coat again as I do.

Once dry treat it as a normal decal and apply. I cut mine with a exacto hobby knife as the entire sheet of paper is one large decal.

Decal paper in not cheap(still affordable), so I try to plan out as many decals as I can before I print. Using a half sheet at a time is another good tip.

HTH,

Aaron

I picked up 3 new planes. When I get around to painting these I will document the steps to go with the narative above.

wbloke

Thumbs up

Thanks for putting this excellent guide together - it's inspired me to try and model my own planes for the WWII game!

One question I had though - could you please give a link to the decals you used? I can't seem to find them at The Last Square website.

Carl,

Those models look great, cannot wait to see what you do with them.

I have been a bit slow on getting any of mine done as learming some other games have taken up my free time.

Default Props or no props...

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    Carl,

Those models look great, cannot wait to see what you do with them.

I have been a bit slow on getting any of mine done as learming some other games have taken up my free time.
    The kids have just gone back to school so I am going to try and get some painting in this week.

I am thinking about leaving the propellers off these models, just makes them more fragile and without they will match the Air 200 and Action 200 miniatures.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-19-2012 at 16:24. Reason: spelling

Default More 1:200 miniatures and decals

Hello all,

I have received more miniatures from www.helmet-aircraft-200.com, another Fairey Battle and Morane M.S.406 (3 each now) and a new one - a Dornier Do 17P. The Luftwaffe used this version for reconnaissance flights early in the war. It is a very good looking aircraft, and I can't wait to get it painted. I'm still considering the colour scheme.

I was very impressed by the decals I purchased from Helmet, lots of different sizes to suit practically all aircraft.

Now to find some time to paint - maybe this weekend.

Cheers,

Carl.

Default Dornier Do-17P 2.(F)/123

Finally after more than two years sitting in a shoe box I have finished this Dornier Do-17P from UK company 'Helmet Historical Aircraft', just thought I would share it with the group.

The decals are a bit 'shiny' under the camera, but not too bad on the gaming table.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dornier Do17P.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	41942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do17P underside.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	41941

It has the Luftwaffe ID codes for an aircraft attached to Staffel 2, Aufklärungsgruppe 123 which was shot down over Belgium on 12 May 1940.

I attempted to make the decals for the Staffel insignia, but I found it needed to be so small at 1/200 it was not viable.

Name:	Emblems_2_123.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	41943

I'm looking forward to bringing this one out for a 1940 recon sortie.

Now back to the other 30+ aircraft left to paint!

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hello all,

I have received more miniatures from www.helmet-aircraft-200.com, another Fairey Battle and Morane M.S.406 (3 each now) and a new one - a Dornier Do 17P. The Luftwaffe used this version for reconnaissance flights early in the war. It is a very good looking aircraft, and I can't wait to get it painted.

Now to find some time to paint - maybe this weekend.

Cheers,

Carl.

Nice, ....I have not had the opportunity to do any lately due to the weather....it has been to cold to spray.

Look forward to seeing yours.

Default Air 200 Hawker Hurricane Mk.Is

Hello all,

I finally got painting again last weekend and knocked off a couple of Air 200 Hawker Hurricane Mk.Is. When I received the miniatures I was disappointed with the Air 200 Hurricane sculpt - the nose is too short in proportion to the rest of the aircraft. It is very obvious on the bare metal mini, but once painted it is less pronounced. The Action 200 sculpt is better at $10 each, and the Helmet aircraft 200 sculpt is excellent at $20, but I suppose I can't complain at the Air 200 price, which is about $6 per aircraft.

I painted the Hurricanes in 242 Squadron RAF colours, so they can formate with Sqn Ldr Douglas Bader's Hurricane from Set 2 when released. The other good thing about 242 Sqn RAF is that it served in France and the Battle of Britain in 1940, over the Channel in the fighter sweeps of 1941 and in Singapore and Java against the Japanese from December 1941 to March 1942, making the squadron a good candidate for a campaign unit.

I had a limited window for painting so I did not spend as long on them as I might usually do, setting myself a 24 hour window including drying time. Colours are dark green and dark earth, with red for the gun ports, rust brown for the exhausts and black for spinners and tail wheels. I did a bit of weathering, but not much. I used the 1937-42 RAF Helmet Aircraft 200 decals (see earlier post) for the roundels and tail flashes, which worked really well. I used Microscale Industries gothic lettering for the aircraft identification codes. The letters are slightly smaller than they should be but then these are wargaming pieces and not for display.

I am going to pick up some white decal paper tomorrow and try to make some 242 Squadron insignia - a booted leg kicking the Fuehrer in the behind. Unfortunately I won't be able to fit it on the nose because of the sculpt issue, but I'll give it a go on the forward fuselage.

I'll do the Fairey Battles next, then maybe the French Morane MS406s. After that I'll only have three Ju 88s, two more Bf 110s, three Blenheim IVs, one Do17, and one more Ju 87 to go before our Battle of France campaign in May.

I'll post the Fairey Battles when I'm done with them.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 02-15-2010 at 23:28.

Nice Job! What did you use for lettering? I just found some of my old woodland scenic dry transfers I was thinking about trying and used on the Landing craft I did this past weekend. So far I have not done any lettring on planes.

Default Letter decals

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    Nice Job! What did you use for lettering? I just found some of my old woodland scenic dry transfers I was thinking about trying and used on the Landing craft I did this past weekend. So far I have not done any lettring on planes.
    I bought a number of letter decal pages from http://www.microscale.com , intended for use with model trains. The ones I am using are 'HO scale Railroad Gothic Letters and Numbers'. I picked up white, black, yellow and green, product codes 90101, 90102, 90106 and 90109.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 02-17-2010 at 03:49.

Default Fairey Battles from Helmet Aircraft 200

Hello all,

I have painted up my three Helmet aircraft Fairey Battles. Helmet is the only company I know that makes the Battle in 1:200.

I have done the one above in the colours of 12 Sqn RAF, in particular the aircraft that crashed into one of the Meuse Bridges which won two Victoria Crosses for the pilot and bombardier (posthumous of course).

Unfortunately I have run out of 'P' and 'H' letters, so I have to order some more before I can complete the aircraft identification codes on the other Battles.

Hopefully my Litko stands will arrive this week and let me get all three up and ready to fly, bomb targets and likely get shot down by Messerschmitts!

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 02-24-2010 at 05:44.

Default DO-17 question???

Where do you buy your unpainted DO-17s at?
    Thanks

Default www.helmet-aircraft-200.com

Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    Where do you buy your unpainted DO-17s at?
    Thanks
    Jeff,

The Dornier is made by a British company www.helmet-aircraft-200.com. The unpainted Do 17P set me back GBP 10. Here's the link to the unpainted aircraft models:

http://www.helmet-aircraft-200.com/e...22/WWII%5B1%5D

I started painting the Do 17P ages ago but work and family have obstructed progress! I hope to finish it off in the next week or so and I will post pics.

They also sell the Do 17Z and Do 215 for the same price. I'm thinking about getting three Do 17Z models for a Battle of Britain campaign.

Cheers,

Carl.

Thumbs up Making your own 1/200 planes- How to Guide w/pics

Carl! Very nice work as always! I was trying to find the post where you made your base decals.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Carl! Very nice work as always! I was trying to find the post where you made your base decals.

Rich
    Rich,

I'm sorry, but you won't find them on the site now. I was requested to remove them due to possible copyright infringement. As a supporter of original WoW product first and foremost I complied with the request.

Cheers,

Carl.

Lightbulb Making your own 1/200 planes- How to Guide w/pics

Carl! How nice of you!

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2,

D I C K the butcher:
    The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Rich

P.S. Happy Birthday Will!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Rich,

I'm sorry, but you won't find them on the site now. I was requested to remove them due to possible copyright infringement. As a supporter of original WoW product first and foremost I complied with the request.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Carl,

I may be poking my nose in here, so ignore this if you wish. However, when I queried something like this with the Col. recently, it would appear to be in order to send a PM to Rich with the Link to the download. So long as it isn't obviously available and appearing to compete with the site sponsors. That's assuming there you have a link a available, and that you are happy to do so?

Just a thought. Dunno if it helps at all.
    Cheers, John.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the painting guide, it is really useful. I haven't tried any aircraft yet, but I have been trying my hand at some 15mm and 28mm figures, so I might get brave enough to try planes. Helmet are expensive, by some standards, but I think the quality of their models is excellent, and they do produce stuff that is missing from most other manufacturers ranges.

John.

podette

Very Helpful info.

I like the flying bases, can you tell me how thick they are? wondering if they will work with my skytrex planes

Carl!

Very nice. Two years is not bad , i have some projects older than that!

Rich

Carl!

Very nice. Two years is not bad , i have some projects older than that!

Rich
    Hi Rich,

So many miniatures and so little time! I have made a resolution to go hammer and tongs to get the rest done by the end of July.

After I finish off the Ju88's I am going to move on to three Helmet Miniatures Blenheim IV's.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-19-2012 at 16:50. Reason: typo

Guys I bow to your painting ability. Those planes are great. You are truely blessed with your talent. And thanks for sharing your knowledge.

very nice i cant wait to start painting my own

Shed Models, who make the decals given with the Helmet models, also do a range of letters in white & Black, lots of different sizes

As Carl put me on to Helmet 200 Aircraft I can also testify that they are very nice models they combine well with ARES and Armaments in Minature. As I do not have little people around me I put the props on and it (to me) makes a good model even better.

Looking through here here again I may have to get some AIR 200 models. Just something else to buy.

Default Armee del'Air Morane Saulnier M.S.406C1s of Groupe de Chasse I/2, June 1940

Hello all,

Back in 2010 I purchased three 1/200 scale Morane Saulnier M.S.406C1 fighters from Helmet Historical Aircraft Models in the UK. Helmet is currently the only company to make the M.S.406 in 1/200, although I believe Dave over at Armaments in Miniature has a 1/200 version on his 'TBR' list. As with some of my other projects they languished in a shoebox for an extended period before I fished them out and got painting.

I think the Helmet models are great to work with and look good on the gaming table. They are generally superior sculpts and the propellers are a treat. The only issue I had with the Moranes were the spars between the tailplane and vertical fin, which had not formed properly. I filed them back and used some scrap metal to make new ones, a little thick but they do the job. The French roundels are home made, applied over white Shed decal bases from Helmet. The tricolour rudder flashes are also Shed decals over white paint. The white lettering is Gothic Railroad from Microscale Industries - $7 for a whole A5 page of letters and numbers in all sizes, good deal.

Name:	MS406 VIC.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	42480

Name:	MS406_GCI_2.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	42481

As the M.S.406 is not an official WGS aircraft, I have had to generate some playing data. Armed with a single 20mm cannon firing through the hub and two 7.5mm machine-guns in the wings the damage chits were easy, 'CA' at short and 'C' and long range. The climb rate was 13 metres per second (Hurricane 12.6 m/s and Spitfire 13.5m/s, both climb rate 3) and ceiling was 9000 metres, giving it a climb of 3 and top altitude of 10. The M.S.406 is generally described as sturdy and highly maneuverable, but under-powered. As the M.S.406 lacked armour protection for the pilot and did not have self-sealing fuel tanks I have given it 16 damage points. The maximum speed was just 486km/h, which is much slower than the Hurricane at 520km/h and way behind the Spitfire and Messerschmitt Bf109E at 580 and 570 km/h respectively. Checking existing 'official' aircraft it struck me performance was broadly similar to the Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 (460km/h, highly maneuverable), so I assigned the M.S.406 the 'K' deck. In summary my stats for the M.S.406.C1 are K * CA/C * 16 * ALT 10 * CLIMB 3.

Historically the M.S.406 did well against the Luftwaffe bombers of the day, and held their own against the Bf110 but was at a great disadvantage when battling the Bf109E. Nevertheless I hope to get them on the table this weekend and see how they fare against the Boche!

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-24-2012 at 18:09.

Aaron just ordered 1 B-17, 3 JU-88 & 3 Kates. See if I can come anywhere close to your paint jobs.

Carl!

They came out very nice! The French paint schemes always baffled me. The colors are to bright and the patterns catch your eye not confuse it! I would stick to bomber attacks and only go after the fighters if forced into it!

Rich

Carl!

They came out very nice! The French paint schemes always baffled me. The colors are to bright and the patterns catch your eye not confuse it! I would stick to bomber attacks and only go after the fighters if forced into it!

Rich
    Yes, MS406 vs Bf109 is a big ask. I am going to try and do a MS406 vs Do17 recon ship this weekend, I'll post pics.

Cheers,

Carl.

Very Nice Indeed!!!

Similar Missions

1. 1/200 scale B-17
    By krolik in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 08:55
  2. more Dawn Patrol pics and a video
    By tyree67 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 05:04