Ares Games

View Poll Results: WWII- what scale are you flying?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • WoW models only for me

28 34.15%
  • WoW models along with any other 1/200 I can find

28 34.15%
  • 1/144 (I wish they never changed the scale)

21 25.61%
  • 1/72 (The only true WWII model scale)

0 0%
  • 1/300

5 6.10%

Thread: WWII-A question of scale

Default WWII-A question of scale

So what is your preferred scale for WWII. I think most use the 1/144 scale for WWI as there is a wide variety of other model options for WWI.

WWII not so much the case.

WoW models are 1/200 with only a few other companies offering 1/200 models

1/72 ad 1/144 are the next most avialable.

So what are you flying?

1.WoW models only
    2.WoW Models along with other 1/200 models
    3.1/144
    4. 1/72

***Note, any pics of your collections would be great as well.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

I can not reply as your poll doesn't have 1/300 scale which make the planes about the same size as the WWI aircraft.

I have squadrons of them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Morten Broested
    Sorties Flown

I'm on the 1/300 wagon as well (soon to post pics)

Well, I guess I forgot an option then.

I knew the 1/300 was popular for Check your Six. Maybe someone can add it to the poll for me.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

Some Pics of 1/300 on WWI stands
    Attached Images

It's always been 1/144 models fro DoW for me! I have a large and still growing collection of models mostly as ETO but I have started to concentrate on Pacific now. I do have some 1/200 models as I was given the Deluxe WWII set and two DoW models for Xmas and I will only use them when I am "on the road". I can see why they chose 1/200 scale but I really wish they didn't.

I voted for WoW only right now. I've almost got all of Series 1 and the Deluxe set. I am interested in finding out what pre-paint options are out there though.

I also added 1/300 to the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I voted for WoW only right now. I've almost got all of Series 1 and the Deluxe set. I am interested in finding out what pre-paint options are out there though.

I also added 1/300 to the options.
    Thanks

I took some time to take some pics of my combined collection and encourage others to do the same.

BTW, all the non-WoW models are AIR200 models I paint. Minimal assembly with exception landing gear on Vals.

U.S:

IJN:

British:

Germans:

Awesome! Good work, love the Flying Fortresses.

If I find any planes that will fit in with what I have then I will get them. Would love to help defend those flying fortresses with my wildcats.

Here is a cross between 1/200 and 1/144.

Tom
    Last edited by CappyTom; 09-12-2010 at 02:09.

Default 1/200 for me

I will be sticking with 1/200, I have been supplementing WoW with Air 200, Action 200, Helmet and others.

I have these below and another eight on the painting board - 2 Ju88's, 2 Bf110's, 2 IL2's & 2 Fairey Battles.

This website gives you a list of 1/200 aircraft and where you can get them:

http://www.toycollector.com/index.ph...tml&Itemid=884

Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 01-06-2010 at 22:27. Reason: broken link

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I will be sticking with 1/200, I have been supplementing WoW with Air 200, Action 200, Helmet and others.

I have these below and another eight on the painting board - 2 Ju88's, 2 Bf110's, 2 IL2's & 2 Fairey Battles.

This website gives you a list of 1/200 aircraft and where you can get them:

http://www.toycollector.com/index.ph...tml&Itemid=884

Nice planes and thanks for the link. T

he AIR200 are all I have been able to find so far.

Suggest you take a look at Litko flight stands for your self made planes which will free up your WoW stands if you ever want to do a huge battle. IMO, the litko satnds are easier to use as well.

I think I am going to end up going with 1/144 scale just for the available pre-painted planes out there. I consider my self a pretty good mini painter, but I don't have the time or space right now to setup a painting area. I'm just a few planes shy of having all the Dawn of Wold War II minis, so I'll support Andrea and continue to build that collection as they come out. I just can see waiting years to get some of the other, noteworthy planes.

I am glad that minis from FFG are arriving so slowly - it is not so expensive like new serie every two or three months. Speed of comming series is fine for me

Thumbs up 1:144 scale all the way

I had a small collection of 1:144 scale kits collecting dust when i heard DOW was coming out. They have all been built and i have added to those i have built 30 kits in the last year. There are some nice 144 scale kits starting
    with Sweet, Eduard and Platz. From there they go down hill Minicraft sells a range of kits that have been improved recently by the adding more than one decal option. There are old kits that have been rerelaesed so many times only
    manufactures name changes. I have been collecting ki-43 kits they are all the same kit and sprue's but each box is done by a different company.
    As Col Hajj says there are a lot pre- made 144 planes coming out of Asia.
    F-toys and Big Birds make ranges of nearly complete planes. The Takara line from Hasegawa are pre painted but easy to put together kits. Today alone there are 188 144 scale plane listings on EBAY. Another good source is HLJ Hobby link Japan.

Default Litko stands

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    Nice planes and thanks for the link. T

he AIR200 are all I have been able to find so far.

Suggest you take a look at Litko flight stands for your self made planes which will free up your WoW stands if you ever want to do a huge battle. IMO, the litko satnds are easier to use as well.
    I finally took the plunge and ordered 10 Litko stands, altitude disks, etc. I am thinking about 'assigning' a base to specific aircraft types and creating decals for the aircraft stats to apply to the base.

1/144 has the biggest range for ww1, ww2 and modern aircraft all together while being small enough to collect and cheap enough not to go bankrupt, last but not least, quality is very high with injection plastic and resin from the Japanese Manufacturers. Die-cast is another option if you like metal. I am talking about normal "ready to go" planes and not kits that you have to glue, paint and such. Multiple manufacturers offer all kind of quality products, from average quality to very high. You just choose, you have so many options.

I still play DoW but with 1/144 (12mm) planes. I have found ww2 aircraft at this scale at outstanding detail. I wish Nexus would have stayed with 1/144 but I am pretty sure why they chose 1/200. I would say they made a good choice, from the point of view of a producer, but from the point of view of players, that is not the best choice, obviously. It's a personal opinion.

I use these 1/144 planes I have for other games also like Axis & Allies Miniatures or Flames of War, though the latter I dont play that much 'cause I dont like it. So they are multipurpose miniatures... while being collectors items in a way.

So I am 1/144 prepainted plastic/resin for planes.

I still support the Wings of War series, but for the minis range, the ww1 Era I buy WoW, while for ww2 I have to go with other manufacturers / producers.
    Last edited by Baron; 01-18-2010 at 20:00.

A little off-topic, but I'd have preferred if they'd made the WW1 models the same size as the ones on the cards (probably around 1/200 like the WW2 ones ?). It would have made it easier when you have groups of planes in close proximity since many of them overlap their bases.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Hi,..

Until now I only use Wings of War Models...

Greet's Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I am glad that minis from FFG are arriving so slowly - it is not so expensive like new serie every two or three months. Speed of comming series is fine for me
    That is great for people that do not already have every thing they put out. I've not bought a new WWI mini in over 6 months... that's a little to long between release for me.

What I would ultimately like to see is a new series release every quarter. First quarter would be WWI, second quarter would be WWII, and then WWI and the final WWII in the last quarter. That would give a fair amount of release for anyone playing just WWI or WWII (there are people like that out there). If you played both, you would be quite busy!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I finally took the plunge and ordered 10 Litko stands, altitude disks, etc. I am thinking about 'assigning' a base to specific aircraft types and creating decals for the aircraft stats to apply to the base.
    This is a great idea nad something I have considered doing myself. For now I have decided not to commit my stands as I have so many planes.

I will likely do this for a couple of my favorites like the P-40 or some others especially if not official mini is on the horizon. Basically copy the card onto a clear decal.

I was actually going to make some "aircraft stat" decals alone with my Squadron/Jasta sets for this very thing.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    A little off-topic, but I'd have preferred if they'd made the WW1 models the same size as the ones on the cards (probably around 1/200 like the WW2 ones ?). It would have made it easier when you have groups of planes in close proximity since many of them overlap their bases.
    I think its on topic

I use 1/300th scale planes for WWII partly because I have them and because they are the same size as the pictures on the cards so as much as the game has scale I have maintained it.

I strongly support the company so I stick with the WoW mini's myself, it's a little matter of loyalty for me.

Although I doubt it, if a few certain planes like the P-47, P-38, and/or the B-17 (or the SE.5a for WWI) didn't get released in the next few series' I probably would try to track some down elsewhere.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

1/144th for me.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 06-10-2010 at 22:11.

I go along with Max on this one. Until this week I could have said WoW only, but I have now ordered a Sopwith Triplane and Brisfit f rom Reviresco. In truth I can only answer 1-144th now.
    To the bar Max, I'm buying.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm locked into 1:144 at this point.

Thumbs up WWII-A question of scale

Rob is i am 144 and buying!

Rich

since last 2 years i use only wow minis models to play.
    but probably in next future i could extend my hangar with others 1/300 models.

I to use other planes mainly Helmet 200 aircraft, but only the types that Nexus games does not produce and probably never will.

Tough question for me, really. right now, it's strictly DOW/WGS 1/200s, but I'm eying some AIM planes, and a few from SWs.
    On the other foot, the 1/144 pre-painted is tempting.
    On the third hand, I'm still looking at 1/72nd scale for demo games, harking back to my old M&M days. If gaming time picks up, that might happen before my (non-existent) retirement.
    Karl

OK, I played a game of "Check your Six" at NOWSCon yesterday, and the moderator uses 1/144 scale. They do take up a larger amount of space, but the visuals are great. I don't think the budget can support another line, but I'll be keeping my eyes open for bargains.
    Karl

Just to be awkward, I prefer to use 1:600 as that let's me use Geschwader levels of bombers on a reasonable table.

I have gone for 20mm square bases for fighters, 25mm bases for twin engine fighters and dive bombers and 40mm bases for bombers.

Using the movement cards for DoW still equates well and makes for some epic BoB moments. It does make you think twice about diving through the middle of the formations though!

Simon

That is what makes DOW so universal! Mold it to your needs.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by DAKorps View Post
    I can not reply as your poll doesn't have 1/300 scale which make the planes about the same size as the WWI aircraft.
    I tought that this was more true for 1/200:

pic556368_md.jpg

German most famed fighters. And taking one of the smallest WW1 ones, by the way.

For me the scales used by Nexus fit in very well 1/144 for WW1 and 1/200 for WW2. Also I have used the cards for 1/600 Aircraft in my Coastal Command Wargames the cards fit in well for 1/600 scale aircraft as per The Black Knights comments.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

Going with WoW(G) and 1/200. Been playing WWI for just over a year now. Decide to take the plunge into WWII so I picked up an early (Nexus) Deluxe set.
    Have several 1/200 scale aircraft for use with CY6 Jet Age. Decide to remain with the 1/200 and WoW(G) aircraft for my foray into WWII. Great selection Available in 1/200 for my needs.

I have built up a good collection of 1/144 WW2 planes in the last year or so - many "Wing Club", "Takara" etc pre-paints & also model kits. Some kits are more frustrating than others but they are all ultimately rewarding (even the old Minicraft Spitfires....). I have played DOW in both 1/200 & 1/144 & I think you can't beat the 1/144 for the increased spectacle - especially at a distance of a couple of feet or more Because the base is the playing piece not the plane then the 25% change in scale doesn't really have an effect. I have (currently) both scales of planes but not for much longer. So Bye-Bye 1/200.

I have pictures of some of my 1/144 planes in my albums on my profile page - at this stage desert Kittyhawks (pre-paint), & Hurricane II (kits), plus BoB Huricanes (kits). Many more comng soon.

Attached is a couple of pix showing differences in size between 1/144 & 1/200
    Attached Images

Now Nigel I have to say that the larger the plane the better eye candy you have with greater detail to them. That being said I think that the 1/200 scale is perfect in that you still get great detail and the size is preferable for me in storing such a large hobby.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Now Nigel I have to say that the larger the plane the better eye candy you have with greater detail to them. That being said I think that the 1/200 scale is perfect in that you still get great detail and the size is preferable for me in storing such a large hobby.

Thomas
    1/144 need not be a problem to store - "rack 'em & stack 'em" - the plastic ones are pretty light. The bombers might be a different proposition but I have not got to them yet.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I think I am sticking to Wings of Glory / Wings of War official despite the number of 144-Size bombers I currently have in my attic!

I know it sounds lazy but the main reason is how well equipped each 1/200 Scale aircraft arrives - in the majority of cases ready to 'plug and play' into a WGS game. I don't like the thought of having to mess round with and customize the 1/144 Scale / 144-Size bombers upstairs in order to include them because of the prices these are now selling for which I noticed recently have rocketed! Especially since I bought the majority of them manufactured by Café Reo / Big Bird and F-Toys in 2009 / 2010 ...

1/200 for WW2, 1/144 WW1 . I don't play a lot WW2 so don't need to many, only the ones I like. WW1 I am missing only a few

Similar Missions

1. 1/200 scale B-17
    By krolik in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-29-2010, 08:55
  2. For those who enjoy their DoW in 1/144 scale
    By Roger Wilco in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 07:33
  3. 1:200 scale aircraft models
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0