Ares Games

Thread: Scratch Building 101 part 1

Default Scratch Building 101 part 1

So you want to try the dark art of creating your own mini? Once you start down this path beware! Few have returned empty handed. You will need a good source of inspiration. This has been mine since becoming obsessed . . .

Found this at Half-Price Books for $8!!! Find a design you just have to have.

Then search the web for a good 3-4 view drawing or two

Open a new file in your note pad-my is spiral bound!

Then start the fun! Remember telling your math teacher that you will never use this stuff-you were wrong : )

You will need to find the wingspan of the original plane, here in my book for the Shorts 184 it says 63'-6" Convert to all inches (multiply the 63' x 12 = 756" add the remaining 6" for a total of 762" (sorry to all you metric types-you will want to go to cm)

Now convert your 762" to 1/144th scale. Divide the total 762" by 144 which will become = 5.29" the wingspan of your new mini! Not so bad is it? Page two

Take your original 3 view and measure the exact wingspan on the drawing.

You will be wanting to adjust the size of your 3 view to 1/144 scale. To do this take the mini wingspan and divide it by the wingspan of the 3 view wingspan

Then re-copy your 3 view enlarging or reducing it to the percentage you calculated.

Check to make sure your new copy has the right wingspan measure, then make 2 - 3 copies onto card stock.

Cut out the parts you will have to make, set them out to make sure you have a paper pattern of each one.

I slip all the paper work and parts into a plastic bag to keep them all together while I write part 2.

Next time the fun continues on wood and plastic! Cheers! Clipper

Very nice intro to the subject David. I'm glad to see our methods are almost identical. i even use Herris and Pearson, although mine cost a bit more.
    I will be interested to see the rest of this article, and may even tell you about the time I thought nylon blocks would make a good basis for a fuselage section.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

OK, now you have us waiting with bated breath...go on
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

This should be fun. I'm pulling up a chair and munching on popcorn.

I am with Karl. A very nice start to what is sure to be a valuable article here on the site!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

You have got me interested, please go on.........

Off to a great start! This is more than perfect for me/someone looking to get into their first scratch built model. Looking forward to more.

Thumbs up

Yes a great "How To" start on scratch building.
    Look forward to the next installment.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Adrian
    Sorties Flown

Great idea David!

Thanks for taking the time to do this, very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Adrian

Ive pulled up a chair next to John, hopeing he'll pass the popcorn round

Excellent stuff and very clear. Scratch Building for Dummies!

I am agog with anticipation of the next episode
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'm seated beside everybody waiting. I've got a Mars, Coke and Chips. Anyone interested? Can you pass the popcork, please, John?

Just grounded with pneumonia (again!) so it looks like part 2 is about to beginnnnnnn
    Clipper

Sorry to hear that David. Take good care of yourself old chap.
    However, part two is something to savour.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Dammit you lot, there's only the black jellybeans left in the bag! Oh well, send the popcorn down

I hadn't thought too hard about scratchbuilding a WW1 plane to scale, but now you have me thinking. Love the tutorial so far

Dave

I'm impressed by just about everything you do here, not the least with the apparent ease you produce your plans.
    Me I hoard lots of different plans, photoshop a lot and then print - Lots more work but end result's not better.
    If I'm really lucky, I can find the plan I want in the back of an Osprey book - then you'll only have to set your printer at 50%.

/Niclas
    Last edited by Niclas; 01-13-2012 at 06:09.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Are you building the torpedo as well? Sorry to hear about the pneumonia.