Ares Games
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flight of Giants

Default Flight of Giants

Here is some of the planes from Flight of Giants due out later this year. Some of them have been seen on other sites, but a few of them have not been released else where as of yet.

Enjoy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic489088.jpg   pic489090.jpg   pic489091.jpg   Ca3_Taramelli.jpg   Ca42_181a.jpg  

And three more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F2A_N4283.jpg   GV_670.jpg   RVI_Schilling.jpg  

Name
    Holger Hofmann
    Sorties Flown

We definately need more smilies! This time I need something like this one:

LOL, I'll put smilies on my todo list.

Cool looking planes. Now if they had miniatures of those...

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    Cool looking planes. Now if they had miniatures of those...
    Supposed to come out some time early next year

Can't wait

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Come on early next year. I need a couple of those planes.

Look forward to these as well. With all the new gear comming out I am going to have to give up smoking so I can afford to pay for them, there again there are my 15mm figures which I haven't used for a long time will be up for sale!

I cant wait to see the stats for the Gotha and AEG bombers. I got some Skytrek models a few years ago and I cant wait to send them into action!!

Default Gotha Stats

Gudday aaroundpjames Col gave me some stats for using the Gotha bomber from Skytrex they should be in the hobby room as I cannot remember them of had. I am awating my model from Skytrex then its of to the games table.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I am awating my model from Skytrex then its of to the games table.
    Afternoon Doug,

You'll like the Skytrex minitures, especialy the large bombers. They are very sturdy, being made of solid "White metal/lead" (not sure of the exact term for it) However, I would reconmend replacing the wing struts and undercarage support with brass rod just to make it stronger. The last thing you want is to spend all that time painting it up and have the lead wing strut crumple and ruin you model.

Thumbs up Skytrex Gotha

Thanks aaroundpjames for the information on the Skytrex Gotha I will use the brass rods as you surggest!

Those look amazing! Since these planes are so much bigger than fighters, are the airplane cards going to be bigger than the standard size?

I believe they are going to be the size of the hard balloon cards that came in Burning Drachens.

I found some cards for the Gotha G.IV and Ilja Muromec V and have added them into the files section.........bring on the Giants!!!

A Felixtowe is all very well but we need a Vimy in there and a Handley Page type O.

Any word when Flight of Giants will be out?

I've not heard any thing, I'll see if my source can help me out.

Okay, my source at Fantasy Flight games just informed me they have not solicited this expansion yet... so it is over 3 months away right now.

More time to buy all the other stuff I don't have...

But I have all the other WWI stuff... so I need more things to buy now! lol

I am still missing a lot of the WW1 planes and all the WW2 stuff...

Evzone

We need those big birds!

I've started reading Neil Hanson's history of the air war over the U.K. during the Great War called 'First Blitz' (tag line; The Secret German Plan to raze London to the ground 1918').

The first few chapters are proving to be good entertaimnet so I thoroughly recommend the book and press for those bombers so we can get playing!!

Yesterday I watched Hell's Angels. The final sortie from that movie is the first thing I will play when I have my "big birds":

Evzone

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    Yesterday I watched Hell's Angels. The final sortie from that movie is the first thing I will play when I have my "big birds":
    Good call...!!

Also, that scene from the Red Baron film, where Jasta 11 attacks the HP 0/400 formation.

Default Flight of Giants

Andrea was nice enough to send me artwork for the cover of the up coming Flight of Giants boxed set. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wings_of_War_Flight_of_the_Giants_30%.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Looks brilliant. Do you know when it's due to be released?

My contact at Fantasy Flight Games said that it is not in their system yet, which usually means it is at least 3 months out from them getting it.

Well, since minis are usually about a year or more behind box sets I think I see a need on the horizon to finally model some WWI planes.

We're going to need a bigger table...

Will there be any British Handley Page aircraft and a Russian Ilya Mourometz in the 'flight of Giants box?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Will there be any British Handley Page aircraft and a Russian Ilya Mourometz in the 'flight of Giants box?
    Yes and no.

Plane list:
    Caproni Ca 3 Tenente Casimiro Buttini, Sergente Luigi Remitti 3a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
    Caproni Ca 3 Capitano Guido Taramelli 1a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
    Caproni Ca 3 - CEP 115 Aviaton Militaire
    Friedrichshafen G.III Leutnant der Reserve Otto Georg, Hauptmann Fritz Eckstein, Leutnant Leo Gerhard von Heydebreck Bogohl 5/Bosta 6 Luftstreitkräfte
    Friedrichshafen G.III Hauptmann Pfeifer, Leutnant Langerfeld, Leutnant Schmidt Bogohl 2 Luftstreitkräfte
    Friedrichshafen G.III - 4čme Escadrille d'observation Aviaton Militaire
    Gotha G.V Oberleutnant Walter Aschoff, Leutnant Kollerg, Vizefeldwebel Mayer Kagohl 3/Kasta 17 Luftstreitkräfte
    Gotha G.V Leutnant von Korff, Leutnant von Zedlitz, Gefreiter Speyer Kagohl 3 Luftstreitkräfte
    Zeppelin Staaken R.VI Hauptmann Arthur Schoeller Riesenflieger-Abteilung 501 Luftstreitkräfte
    Zeppelin Staaken R.VI Hauptmann Erich Schilling Riesenflugzeug-Abteilung 500 Luftstreitkräfte
    Caproni Ca 42 Maggiore Luigi Carnevale, Sottotenente Alessandro Borrello 181a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
    Caproni Ca 42 Capitano Cola Leone De Renzis, Sergente Mario Occa 182a Squadriglia Regio Esercito
    Curtiss H.16 - Lough Foyle Naval Air Station United States Naval Air Service
    Felixstowe F.2A Flight Commander Gerald E. Livock, Flight Commander Robert Leckie Felixstowe Naval Air Station Royal Air Force
    Handley Page O/400 Flight Lieutenant E. R. Barker, Flight Sub-Lieutenant F. H. Hudson 7 Squadron Royal Naval Air Service
    Handley Page O/400 Captain Ross MacPherson Smith 1 Squadron Australian Flying Corps

re: Ilya Mourometz
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo
    Well I tried to fit it into the set. But they were usually far too slow. The only one that could fit was the quite mino arnd undocumented Ilya Mourometz E. In the end I have been asked to delay it to the future.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default bomber kits

Here are a couple photos of the Skytrex Gotha GV we use (a pair actually!). Bombers definately add to the game scenarios. We are working on night games now.

Here are a couple photos of the Skytrex Gotha GV we use (a pair actually!). Bombers definately add to the game scenarios. We are working on night games now.

Could you define 'working on night games"? I'm assuming that you mean night based scenarios? What changes are you making to the mission in this case?

What size table do you play on?
    And how do you reach the middle?

Those look great! I will be all over the WWI models once the new set is released. I know my LGS stocks many skytrek models.

I am still sitting with my mouth open. The cover picture looks great. I think this will be the end of "kitchentableplaying" - we will have to use a table for ping-pong Great that it is in green colour

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

We play on a 5x8 foot table, with a Hotz Matz European Battlefields ground cloth. Reaching in to the middle isn't at all difficult, though we do have to move around the table quite a bit.

I am anxious to see how the Giants deck for the Gotha matches up with the one we use. It came off of the Nexus Yahoo Group, and it's pretty basic; up, down, left, right. We do allow the use of a Kurvensturtz, a slow diving turn, but beyond that it doesn't move very fast. Even so, the Gotha is a tough bird, and takes a lot of concentrated fire to bring it down.

So far all of our bombing raids have been daylight. But we are planning a night raid game where the bomber player plots a straight line move until he is spotted. Until then, his plane is not on the table. The fighters have to try to find it. Until they are within 12" and two altitude levels of the bomber, they can't see it. And, if maneuvers take them out of that range, they lose sight of it. The game pretty much necessitates a small number of players...two attackers at the most and one bomber. An impartial referee would be needed to take measurements while the players turn their backs. We haven't really tried it yet as we usually have 7 to 9 players per night, and noone wants to sit out! Hopefully soon we'll give it a go.

Evzone

Fantastic....!

We have a small WoW group at work who utilise a tiny meeting room at lunch times....we're gonna need a bigger room and table ...can't wait for the new box set, especially after reading about the exploits of the German bomber squadrons during WW1.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by green dragon View Post
    We play on a 5x8 foot table, with a Hotz Matz European Battlefields ground cloth. Reaching in to the middle isn't at all difficult, though we do have to move around the table quite a bit.

I am anxious to see how the Giants deck for the Gotha matches up with the one we use. It came off of the Nexus Yahoo Group, and it's pretty basic; up, down, left, right. We do allow the use of a Kurvensturtz, a slow diving turn, but beyond that it doesn't move very fast. Even so, the Gotha is a tough bird, and takes a lot of concentrated fire to bring it down.

So far all of our bombing raids have been daylight. But we are planning a night raid game where the bomber player plots a straight line move until he is spotted. Until then, his plane is not on the table. The fighters have to try to find it. Until they are within 12" and two altitude levels of the bomber, they can't see it. And, if maneuvers take them out of that range, they lose sight of it. The game pretty much necessitates a small number of players...two attackers at the most and one bomber. An impartial referee would be needed to take measurements while the players turn their backs. We haven't really tried it yet as we usually have 7 to 9 players per night, and noone wants to sit out! Hopefully soon we'll give it a go.

Have a look at these beauties as well:

http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/preview/Gig2.JPG

http://merlindex.free.fr/wowadj/preview/Gig1.JPG

Any idea how big those cards are going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Have a look at these beauties as well:

Any idea how big those cards are going to be?
    Those look really good... and by really good, I mean deadly!
    This might not be the most 'scientific', but it seems (based on the size of the text and graphics) that the cards are going to be about the same as two standard cards? Anyone have confirmation on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinneth42 View Post
    This might not be the most 'scientific', but it seems (based on the size of the text and graphics) that the cards are going to be about the same as two standard cards? Anyone have confirmation on this?
    Looks like they'll be just a little bigger than that:

Also, gotta say, these firing arcs are very busy; I'm sure there won't be any confusion during play...

Any idea what the blue dots are for?

Do we know if this are official mock ups?

I would say the blue dots are for measuring line of sight and such. Red dots are for measuring rang for each gun (note that there is a red dot right under the blue one).

In the above image I would say that the fire arc from the first red dot (starting at the nose and working are way back) covers the large ~240 degree arc and is B damage.

The semi circle marked A damage is where both the front guns can draw line of site. The quarter circle marked B damage is a blind spot for the 2nd red dot, so only one gun is firing on a plane there.

So, it looks like instead of each gun firing on different targets, they combine fire when possible.

The arcs in the back are a little more confusing. Again starting at the front of the plane, the red dot under the blue one give the very large rear arc like we are used to seeing, probably at A damage. The three small areas marked B are blind spots for the rear upper deck gun (first red dot).

Finally, the black line is the blind spot for the rear upper deck gun.

My thoughts at least. Oh, and this assumes since the cards are so much larger, you measure to and from the plane and not the base(card). So, there could be another planes base sitting in those blind spots with out overlapping.

And for those wanting a more detailed look of the plane, check this out.

I interpret this completely differently.

I believe the rear has 2 narrow arc B-firing machine guns (one to each side, from the 2 off-center red dots behind the wings), and a third wide-arc b-firing machine gun (probably undermounted, from the red dot hidden by the blue), with a blind spot where the black section of the firing arc is. Presumably the blind spot would only be for planes at a higher elevation...

Now, the front gets significantly more confusing. There's clearly an A and a B arc. It looks like the A arc is the 200 degree arc. So, is there also a 100 degree B arc covering the same area, but on the left side only? And what's up with the 90 degree arc from the dot further back? It appears to be unlabeled. Or, is the A arc supposed to connect to that line? If I HAD to interpret this, without any info from additional rules, or knowledge of this plane, I'd say that the front dot has a right and a left 100 degree B-firing arc, and the rear dot has a 180 degree A-firing arc.

But I really have no idea what it's supposed to mean. And the fact that you have a completely different interpretation than I do simply proves my original point.

So I guess they might be the size of a balloon card.

By the way, found these pics on this site - so the cards should be official:

http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I interpret this completely differently.

I believe the rear has 2 narrow arc B-firing machine guns (one to each side, from the 2 off-center red dots behind the wings), and a third wide-arc b-firing machine gun (probably undermounted, from the red dot hidden by the blue), with a blind spot where the black section of the firing arc is. Presumably the blind spot would only be for planes at a higher elevation...
    This is a sea plane, so the red dot covered by the blue one is definitely a top mounted gun as seen in this photo:

I could see your point about the two narrow B firing arcs, but when why have that second B marker over on the right??

Now, the front gets significantly more confusing. There's clearly an A and a B arc. It looks like the A arc is the 200 degree arc. So, is there also a 100 degree B arc covering the same area, but on the left side only? And what's up with the 90 degree arc from the dot further back? It appears to be unlabeled. Or, is the A arc supposed to connect to that line? If I HAD to interpret this, without any info from additional rules, or knowledge of this plane, I'd say that the front dot has a right and a left 100 degree B-firing arc, and the rear dot has a 180 degree A-firing arc.
    I could also conclude that the very front gun is A damage and its arc is covered by the two red lines that exit from its red dot. The 2nd front gun further back is B damage and uses the 90 degree arc to the left. This way of thinking ignores the red lines forming the circles, which is most likely the case as the normal fighter bases have the black line forming the circle that we ignore on them. I would then have to assume that he reversed the colors of those lines to show the blind spot in the rear.

This all would change my thinking on the rear guns to this:

Each side dorsal gun has the narrow B damage arcs to either side like you said. The upper deck gun is also B damage but covers the entire large rear arc minus the blind spot shown in black.

That probably makes a lot more sense! lol

I thought since Andrea did not send one of these images to me, that maybe these were some house rules work that Merlin did... but I see he says they did in fact come from Andrea.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    This is a sea plane, so the red dot covered by the blue one is definitely a top mounted gun as seen in this photo:
    Where do you get those great pictures?!!? I was gonna say a little research showed that it was a flying boat, so undermounted guns would be "unlikely", but I just spent the last half-hour trying to track down a picture I briefly passed by with a good view of the front guns. I believe it showed 2 gunnery turrets side by side at the cockpit, which would explain left/right firing arcs.

But if the 90 degree arc is the B-firing gun, the arc is grossly mislabelled...

By Google skills are beyond Godly. LOL

BTW, it's official, the blue dots are center and tailing. What I would've guessed...

Quote Originally Posted by angiolillo
    With single engine plane the red dot was for firing, tailing, distances and everything. Now you have a red dot for each firing cone, so there is a blue dot instead to m,ark the center of the plane. And another on the tail for when the plane is tailed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 4 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 308
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 05:00
  2. WGF: Hit & Run booster
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 09:50
  3. WGF: Crossfire booster