Ares Games

Thread: Armor?

Default Armor?

Okay, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this era isn't one of my strong points. When it comes to history, I'm really a Golden Age of Piracy kinda guy.

A question... in the following pic (thanks to Zoe for posting this in another thread) are the three guys in the middle of the back row wearing armor/flak jackets? it sure looks like they are, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone thought to try it as a last ditch form of protection.

Unfortunately I can't see the picture John...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

It does look like some of the "trench armor" that was experimented with; can't imagine the crew could move well enough to crew the plane, nevermind the extra weight.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I just put it down to cold weather gear, for the long flights that they undertook at altitude, but now that you mention it, well ...............
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

They actually look alot like the "bucket armor" beginning fighters use in my middle ages re-enactment group. Made out of 55 gal plastic barrels that chemicals (mostly soaps) are stored in. We find them at Car washes etc.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great find. Most Mg's were only in the 7 to 8mm. I can see the armor could protect the crew. But weight could adversly effect the performance of the aircraft. Nice find. John

These soldiers seem to be Italian if I am correct.
    The three men in the center wearing the armor used by infantry squads who had to move first, and cut the barbed wire. In Italy we call them "Compagnie della morte" (the companies of death) view of the futility of such armor against grenades and machine guns .... The Regio Esercito" (Royal Italian Army) officially adopted the Farina's armour model. Officers and soldiers privately purchased armor models handcrafted products. Can not say the type of armour they wear and I not say if any of the bomber's pilot were using them during their service...

Enrico

Well, if Italian crew... most probable front is versus the Austro Hungarians.. over the alps? what time of year? Just what did they wear 10 to 12 thousand feet? Just the standard uniform, no cold weather gear? Shoulder pads make me wonder what kind of wind chill did they face?

They are rear gunners for Caproni Ca3's. The rear position was highly exposed, and armour was experimented with (briefly). It didn't work well.

How Exposed?

HIGHLY exposed!

So... I could see an optional rule to allow armored gunners a chance to ignore a hit. Even if it isn't all that historically accurate, it would add some spice to the game.