Ares Games

Thread: Need Help Identifying a D.VII

Default Need Help Identifying a D.VII

There's a pilot who flew a D.VII with a light green fuselage sporting a yellow thunderbolt. Who is he? And what did the rest of his plane look like?
    (I have a couple D.VIIs I want to build, and I'm trying to figure out what's what.)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    There's a pilot who flew a D.VII with a light green fuselage sporting a yellow thunderbolt. Who is he? And what did the rest of his plane look like?
    (I have a couple D.VIIs I want to build, and I'm trying to figure out what's what.)
    G'day John!
    This is the only one I know of with a "Thunderbolt" like insignia.
    I dont have the Part 2 of Fok DV11 Aces so there could be one in that (?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG Fok DV11 Profile.jpg  Views: 56  Size: 83.1 KB  ID: 26446" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

There is a DVII in Jasta Boelcke in 1918 number 332/18 which has a white nose, green body up to the end of the balkenkreuz, and then white again, wheel covers are white and it has a white lightning bolt, short arm left to right, then one long arm, right to left at a 45 deg angle. The pilot is unknown.

I have to be in the Post Office in five mins or I would have tried to copy the page, it is in Vol I of the Windsock DVII anthology. I am actually playing WoW this afternoon so if I get the chance at some point I will try and put it up.

OK the blurb is as follows:

black/white nose and tail markings over factory finish of streaky green fuselage and tailplane, with turquoise blue undersurfaces and five-colour printed fabric on both wings. White serial number fuselage and wing crosses have been converted by overpainting. Cowling when new was possibly natural metal, once overpainted the struts were also probably painted black.

Now despite this the nose is shown as all white in the profile. Possibly more later, customers are waiting.

Thanks for searching. The decal in question is just lower-left of middle on this sheet from Reviresco. (It's a full thunderbolt, something like the white one above but this pic doesn't really convey that.)

Nothing like it in either Ospreys, W.I. Boucher's site or Pearsons Profiles site. Might be Otto Loffler from Jasta 2; he might have read a discription, and mistook the Fokker factory camo "green" for a bright green.
    Best bet is email Revirsco and ask him.
    Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Loffler D7.jpg  
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks for looking. The id number on it is 7776, and the one photo I just found of 7776/18 looks nothing like it. Yep, time to email Reviresco. Again, thanks for the help.