Ares Games

Thread: Skytrex Handley Page Bomber

Default Skytrex Handley Page Bomber

Well I have finished my first Skytrex Handley Page bomber it was a bit of a challenge but I thought I must put it up on the site. I have also added the game board for the aircraft to the files section if anyone needs it.

Regards Kev
    Attached Images   

Cool, rigged as well.
    Nice piece of work.

Thats great! Good job with the rigging!

Excellent, especially the rigging, puts my poor effort to shame. Top notch

I am always ready to applaud a fine piece of workmanship and this certainly falls within that category Kevin.
    Well done that man.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nicely done... but I WILL be sanding down the ribs on mine a bit... way to high and distinct in that particular mold...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Lovely model, getting two myself soon, but no go on the rigging, just building will be a challenge.

Nice job on a nice mini.

A very nice model made excellent by the rigging.

GOB
    SMACKED
    !!!

Please tell me what material you used for the rigging.

By the way, the lighting of your pictures is extremely well placed too!

Morning Chaps
    Thank you all for your kind comments Flying Officer Kyte's build section was most helpful as there are no instructions with the kit so thanks must go to him.
    As for the rigging I went to the local needle work shop and picked up some silk thread this was Ł2.20 and well worth it, I also picked up a needle threader this helped when putting the thread through the wings and then it was a matter of working out the direction to thread the model.
    It is hard to describe so I may try and draw a picture and post that?

Regards Kev

I actually know what you are talking about with the needle threader. Thats a great tip, I would have never thought of it!

Default Handley page rigging

Here is a quick sketch of how a I did the rigging if you follow the numbers to the end and then the letters using superglue at each point and allow to dry before moving on to the next number or letter you should end up with something like my rigging

I hope this helps and good luckName:  HP Rigging.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  53.3 KB

Nice vis aid Kevin, and thanks for the comment on my "How To" It is always great to get feedback if something has proved useful to other people. Lets you know all the work is worth it.
    Rob.

Nicely done! It looks great.

very nice model the rigging makes it sing. Thanks for sharing some day i will get off the pot and try my hand at building a model or two. All the excellent pic and hows to's on the site make me think even my big ham fists could make something decent after a few dozen goes :-)

My God; we're they actually rigged like that!
    Great job and good photography of the subject.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

That is really, really nice. Dare I say it... this site has so many inspirational threads!

Nice work has anyone used thin carbon fiber to rig their aircraft with?

Thumbs up

That is just beautiful work, Kevin. Outstanding!

Default Picture of the original rigging

Morning Chaps
    Jager asked if the bombers are rigged like my efforts so I have attached the picture I used to do the rigging it may not be exact but it looks the part?
    Attached Images  

Checked a book after I posted; God, what they did to make planes fly!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Was looking for some decals for mine. Does 1/72 work well for the wings? I guess they need to be about 14mm.

Default Decal size?

The decals on mine came from an old 1/144 kit of a Lancaster and at 15mm are still a little small I think if you can get something in the area of 18mm it may look better as the top wing decals were bigger in all the pictures I have seen but finding them is the problem specially in the WW1 style with the very outer edge of white?

Good luck with yours Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    Was looking for some decals for mine. Does 1/72 work well for the wings? I guess they need to be about 14mm.
    Hannants do them in 1/72 which I used for mine. See my "How to". If you only need a couple PM me and I'll send you what I have left.
    Rob.

I too have a large number of 1/72 roundals spare and large German crosses as well if anyone needs them.

Amazing. I'm entirely impressed and insanely jealous of this beautiful plane.