Ares Games

Thread: The World War I flying ace made his annual appearance

Default The World War I flying ace made his annual appearance

Hello all,

Yeah, I know it's too late, but for those in the US, ABC network last night had its annual showing of "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," complete with Snoopy as the intrepid World War I flying ace. I don't know why I thought it thread-worthy, it probably isn't, but ever since I was a kid I've always loved that sequence where Snoopy works to make it back from behind German lines - the music, especially with the train whistle going in the background in the night, always sends chills up my spine.

Doug

One of my favorites!

Yes, a classic my favorite too.

Yes this year I went out and bought it for my Granddaughters. got to keep the traditions going.

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yes, for the full fight and party of Snoopy's trip back to the lines look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA4SE...eature=related

I love the direction signs along the road. Later on there's a scene with Snoopy listening to WWI era music played on the piano - it bounces back and forth between light-hearted fare and more sentimental songs, and Snoopy's moods swing wildly back and forth as it changes.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by georgerutherfor View Post
    Later on there's a scene with Snoopy listening to WWI era music played on the piano - it bounces back and forth between light-hearted fare and more sentimental songs, and Snoopy's moods swing wildly back and forth as it changes.
    At which point, one comes to realize just how incredibly [CENSORED]ing depressing _Peanuts_ really is....

Wish I could find the CG video someone did of Snoopy joining the Battle of Yavin....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    At which point, one comes to realize just how incredibly [CENSORED]ing depressing _Peanuts_ really is....

Wish I could find the CG video someone did of Snoopy joining the Battle of Yavin....

This the vid you are talking about?

http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/ani...agle/index.asp

Quote Originally Posted by OrlokSubedei View Post
    This the vid you are talking about?

http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/ani...agle/index.asp
    Yup.

Brilliant. Nearly as good as the original.
    Rob.

Great memories...thanks for posting that!

Well worth the mention.

Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Good one Ken. Glad to see you're back on song old chap.
    Rob.

Ken: we might have to increase the firing arcs on our Snoopy cards, yes?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Karl
    You certainly will, he seems to have a Scarfe ring on that Dog Kennel of his.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    By Jove Chaps... I think you've hit the nail square on the head there!!! Adding to project list!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I used to have a paperback book I got at a school book fair that had all of the WWI Flying Ace strips. I wish I could find it...

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I used to have a paperback book I got at a school book fair that had all of the WWI Flying Ace strips. I wish I could find it...
    I'd love to find a copy of that... I do have the official Peanuts lunchbag cookbook!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lunchbag.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	26109
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I'd love to find a copy of that... I do have the official Peanuts lunchbag cookbook!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lunchbag.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	26109
    I bet that's full of healthy eating tips Ken. I go mainly with the Garfield menue myself.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I think I still have the small hardbound Snoopy and the Red Baron.
    It's in the library, which is full of other rooms boxes, so not accessable right now.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rob.
    Yeh, give him all-around firing arcs except for the two-seater blindspot; he can't quite get around to the back 45 degrees.
    Karl

Anyone else remember the song "Snoopy and the Red Baron"? I think it was performed by a group called "The Royal Guardsmen"?

".....and the Baron cried out 'Merry Christmas, Mein friend!!'.....Christmas bells..those Christmas bells...rang out through the land....asking peace of all the world...and good will toward men."

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post
    Anyone else remember the song "Snoopy and the Red Baron"? I think it was performed by a group called "The Royal Guardsmen"?

".....and the Baron cried out 'Merry Christmas, Mein friend!!'.....Christmas bells..those Christmas bells...rang out through the land....asking peace of all the world...and good will toward men."
    Right here; not all the right visuals, but still the song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKHq...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbhzq...4CC350CB8D3807

Aaaaahhhh the memories! Great vid on Yasin!

James

I bet that's full of healthy eating tips Ken. I go mainly with the Garfield menue myself.
    Rob.
    I do like Lasagna!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

This has got me thinking - am sure my parents have the original Snoopy and the Red Baron paperback on one of their bookshelves - its about time I paid them a visit, lol

I have the original '45, not the xmas version, and on the reverse; 'They're coming to take you away...to the funny farm..et al.'

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Powell View Post

See you on the Dark Side......

There is more of Snoopy's adventure in this compilation.

Always great to see a Beagle flying a Camel!
    Thanks

Nick

Thumbs up

Thanks David for posting that great clip!

Very amusing Dave.
    Just what I needed to start my day.
    Have you seen the other cartoons about our hero?
    Rob.