Ares Games

Thread: Rockets

Default Rockets

I'd like to set up different balloonbusting scenarios so here's the problem I face:
    Were rockets used historically by other kinds of planes then Nieuports (like in BB expansion - Prince's plane e.g.)?
    What about Central Powers planes? Were they ever equipped with rockets? Which ones if any?

Nieuports, SPAD VIIs, Pups, Camels, BE2s/12s and Farmans all had rockets mounted. Probably others too, but that's all the ones I'm sure about. CP planes don't seem to have used them other than on a couple of experimental planes (a Halberstadt D.I and an Albatros D.III). They started phasing them out from 1917, in favour of incendiary ammo.

The Germans experimented with rockets against balloons, but did not implement them as far as I know.

The French were the primary users of the Le Prieur rockets and used the from midt 1916 to late 1917. The principal aircraft using them was different Niuport types (8 rockets) and the SPAD S.VII (6 rockets).
    The Russians used them as well.
    Hit rates was very poor and it was all or nothing .. a hit was almost a sure balloon kill. a 45 degree dive gave the best results.

RFC used them as well until the full introduction of the mix of the more effective Buckingham Incendiary and Brock or Pomeroy explosive bullets. These were gradually introduced for balloon busting and airship defence from mid 1916 and onwards. These were more effective when used in specially cambered 11mm anti-baloon guns (both Vickers and Lewis were re-chambered in 11 mm) See "The Zeppelin in combat" by Douglas H. Robinson for more info on the british ammo types.

- Svend