J.E.(Johnnie) Johnson
    ISBN:
    0-304-35860-6
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Paperback and Hardback
    Summary:
    An interesting little book by WW2s top scoring allied ace in Europe the late Air Vice Marshal Johnnie Johnson. First published in 1964 it follows the development of air fighting tactics from its very beginnings in WW1 through to Korea, pointing out that it began as single aircraft fighting eachother evolving through squadrons then back to small units of very capable jets.
    The whole book is very informative & if you are new to, or, not well read on air wars it will give you a good grounding in how fighter aircraft were used in these periods & why the tactics/formations used were developed.
    Of the 286 pages the first 88 pages are devoted to WW1 air fighting and he mentions many of the better known aces, their tactics, a short bio as well as how they fitted in 'the big picture' and formations that were being developed.
    Should at least give you some gaming ideas - enjoy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-755%20Full%20Circle.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	37076
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 03-18-2012 at 08:20. Reason: cover picture added

This takes me back, I read this many moons ago, a good read, recommended.

First read this when I was about 14 and have read it again several times, learn smething new every time I read it. One should also read the Authors autobiography "Wing Leader" another good read

I too first read this years ago. I picked up the revised edition, "The Story of Air Fighting" at a second-hand book shop the other day for $7.00.

My memory of the contents of the original is a bit hazy, but I think the extra chapters are 'The Falklands', 'The Israeli Airforce' & 'Hindsight' - just as good a read the second time round!

One of my favourite passages is from chapter 10:

'After breakfast the young officers strolled out of the mess, past the tennis courts and the beautifully tended gardens bright with flowers, and across a stretch of tarmac towards the flight hangar, where half a dozen gaily painted Gloster Gamecocks were parked in a neat line. Propellers began to spin into noisy life, and the delightful smell of burned mineral oil mingled with the heavy scent of new-mown hay.

Those officers who were detailed for flying changed into white overalls, chatted for a few minutes with their flight commander, signed the authorization book and the serviceability log, and climbed into their cockpits, where fitter and rigger assisted with the new standard parachute and safety harness. Soon they were in the air and practising solo aerobatics, team aerobatics, fighter attacks and forced landings. Sometimes they flew cross-country to another airfield where someone was talked into buying lunch and when they made the return trip they were careful to be down by half past three, for the flight sergeant looked very sour unless the hangar doors were firmly closed by teatime.'

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 11: Circle of Death!
    By Brambo in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 10:10
  2. The Pusher comes full circle.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 21:45
  3. GENA: Dogfight: True Stories of Dramatic Air Actions
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 08:11
  4. The Circle Is Now Complete (or my Wow Collections at least)!
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 14:49
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 01:35