Ares Games

Thread: Throttles?

Default Throttles?

I know most planes during WWI did not really have a throttle per say. Pilots had to "blip" the throttle/motor to control their speed. What I'd like to know is which planes had to do this "bliping" and which did not?

If I understand correctly, any plane with a rotary engine controlled the rpms through blipping. You could additionally control your amount of thrust by selecting how many cylinders were actually firing.

My WWI aircraft knowledge is a little shaky, so I will happily learn otherwise if any of you know better.

Pretty much as Brad said, IIRC. Anything with a rotary engine would either be able to set the number of cylinders firing to adjust revs or would change the fuel/air mix to get the same effect. Sort of a semi-throttle I suppose. Blipping isn't something you'd want to overuse as it could damage your engine or even set your fuel alight at full power, less than desirable side effects. I believe it was only commonly used during landing, taxiing and dives rather than as a general speed-control method.

In-line engines had throttles in the more traditional manner. I understand that only some really early aircraft like the DH2 and the Eindecker had purely on/off engine controls, although I've also read information to the contrary.

So, Keith, TLDR version: List of blipper planes in the game then, AFAIK: Camel, Pup, both Triplanes, all Nieuports (The Siemens-Schuckerts also had rotaries, but with "proper" throttles). Definitely maybes on the Eindecker and DH2.
    Last edited by IRM; 10-13-2011 at 08:26.

Thumbs up

Yes, as Brad & Iain said most if not all Rotaries used a "Blip" switch particularly during landing as that was the only way to reduce landing speeds.
    The Rotary was virtually Flat Out otherwise.

Yes! Thanks chaps, that has firmed up what I sort of had in the back of my head.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."