Ares Games

Thread: Caproni C3

Default Caproni C3

I see that we British used some of these aircraft and I have found a photo of some C4's used by the RNAS albeit never in anger. Anyone have any further info on the C3's used by the RFC/RAF?

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I see that we British used some of these aircraft and I have found a photo of some C4's used by the RNAS albeit never in anger. Anyone have any further info on the C3's used by the RFC/RAF?
    None - and I've looked carefully. The claim that some were used by the RNAS may have been confusion with the Ca.4s. OTOH some of the latter *may* have been used operationally for ASW before transfer to a training squadron in preparation for further orders of Ca.4s.

I found only this, at the moment:

Apart from the Italian Army, Caproni Ca.3s were also used in British squadrons, before the introduction of the Handley Page Type O bombers and original and licence-built ones were used by France (original Caproni were used in French C.A.P. escadres, licence-built examples in C.E.P. escadres).

but it's really strange I don't find any mention of British squadrons in Windsock Datafile N° 78 Caproni Ca.3 written by Gregoy Alegi ...

Thanks guys, that's about the same as I found. I might just paint them up in British drab when I get some anyway to fit in with my collection and use this tentative link as an 'explanation'. I don't have any Italian forces.

...I don't have any Italian forces.
    No Italians? What about the Spad XIII Francesco Baracca from the first Deluxe set?

Thanks guys, that's about the same as I found. I might just paint them up in British drab when I get some anyway to fit in with my collection and use this tentative link as an 'explanation'.
    Why not the US AEF? They flew operationally in France. There were many French ones too - and Italian units served in France as well.

I tried researching all the unit histories of all the wings and squadrons in the RNAS, right down to serial numbers of all aircraft in service. I found all sorts of surprises... but no Caproni Ca3s Pity, I had the same intention as you did.

I know there are Italian planes in the game, but my forces are built around Britain, France and Germany, hence 'no Italians'.

Ah well that's that idea out of the window then Zoe.

I'll have to wait for an easy build British or French heavy then, unless I can find a Ca3 in French markings, hmmmmmmmmmm..................

I'll have to wait for an easy build British or French heavy then, unless I can find a Ca3 in French markings, hmmmmmmmmmm..................
    The Ca.3 was used a lot by the French.

See
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post79228

In Olive Drab too...

And by the AEF

Or you could go for the Belgian Friedrichshafen G.III.

At Capture:

Afterwards:

Yes, all they did was overpaint the crosses with roundels. Used it operationally too.

Both French CA.3s and the Belgian G.III have cards in FotG.

Or you could use the O/400 of course.

really nice pics of Belgian Friedrichshafen G.III.

Attilio

Ares will release a Ca.3 in French markings at the start of 2012:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...ers-rules-pack

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Ares will release a Ca.3 in French markings at the start of 2012:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...ers-rules-pack

Very nice! So the other Ca.3 will be Italian, correct?

Also, has the manufacturer settled on a price point yet? I'd like to save for 1 of each!